Need Advice: Atopica and Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: Atopica and Diabetes

Hi -- I have just joined this forum and cannot say enough great things about all the help and information that is coming our way. Thank you so very much. I don't know if I have responded correctly to everyone -- but, I will get the hang of how to post and reply soon I hope. I am going to act on all the advice and suggestions I have received. One issue left to explore: Do any of you know any members who have a dog that has had to remain on Atopica even tho diabetic? I would love to know about their experience. I wonder if her discomfort and dehydration could be related to the Atopica use. Unfortunately, she has to stay on it to have a good quality of life b/c she has severe, unrelenting food and environmental allergies. But, at least if I know the Atopica could be causing some of this ... it may help ...

Re: Need Advice: Atopica and Diabetes

I have had two experiences with Atopica. With Hank, his seasonal allergies got so bad last year that we decided the only option was Atopica. I had him on it for approximately three weeks before I decided to stop. Reasons were several. Since his allergies were seasonal...I just couldn't justify putting him on such a strong medication year round. Second was that I didn't like the possible side effects. I had noticed he was getting small spots on his belly which are a side effect of the Atopica. This alarmed me and I read more on the Atopica and just didn't care for other side effects that were possible. I thought that if he were getting one...it was likely he would get more. So I took him off. Luckily it was at the end of his allergy season and he was fine til this summer. I now have him on chlor tabs which is maintaining him reasonably well.

My other experience has been with my cat, Mika, who is not diabetic. I had put her on it when she began to experience severe itching around her face which led us to the possible conclusion of food allergies. Nothing else worked so Atopica was last ditch effort with her. Within a few weeks, her symptoms lessened and she remained free of allergies during the years she was on the medication. I stopped her last fall along with Hank and she was fine all winter but recently has begun to experience the allergy problems once again. I am going to be placing her back on the Atopica. Since she never had any issues with side effects (possibly due to the lower dosage and her being a cat), I am not as worried.

I think Atopica can be an amazing medication in the management of severe allergies. I'm not convinced it is a good alternative for seasonal allergies. I think for something seasonal...something less strong and side effect intensive is warranted. If I were in your situation, I would likely remain on the Atopica. The problems you will get from the allergies and diabetes vs. the problems you may experience with Atopica and diabetes are much worse. The allergies WILL affect bgs...the stress and pain and different medications you would need to use will be a major problem. Atopic isn't contradicted in diabetes but IS a major medication and you should be aware of all side effects and be watchful.

Anyhow...not sure if anyone else out there has any experience but that is mine. Not sure if it helps but I think you are on the right track with it. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do and deal with the consequences as they come. Good luck with this!!! Hugs!!!
    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Working...
    X