Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to Forum: Bailey Cushing/Diabetic

Originally posted by Patty View Post
    Ok...that's what I initially thought you'd said.

Do you use the Benadryl pink ultratabs? I learned the clear gel formula has sorbitol in it, which can accumulate in a dog's eyes. Sorbitol is part of the process that creates cataracts in diabetics, so I've steered clear of them in case.

How's Bailey doing today?
    Yes we are using the pink tablets. Glad I got those! Bailey is doing well. He had a high urine reading again today so we are up to 23 units of insulin. Bailey acts as happy as ever. His water consumption is finally going down, so I am hoping we are getting closer to a solution for him. My vet is out of the office until Monday so my guess is his next BG will be next week some time.
    Bailey - approx 10 years - 38 pounds - diagnosed diabetic Sep '11 diagnosed cushings 2007 - Blue Buffalo with Barley and Hamburger - fed 2x day - 26u Humulin NPH 2x day - lysodren 625 mg Tues and Fri

Comment

Originally posted by Cebe View Post
      My dog has food allergies and I've had success with limited ingredient foods. Pinnacle makes a couple and california natural also makes one. There are others but I haven't tried them. I has less success with any lamb/rice formulas. For some reason Zoe does better with fish formulas. Have you had any experience with limited ingredient foods?
      I have read that they do better on fish because it's a protien that isn't routinely included in any dog foods so they don't generally become allergic to it by exposure. They could become allergic eventually but the likelyhood is that they won't.
      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by lilsweetpea View Post
        At this point the vet has advised not changing his food because we didn't want to add another variable to the mix. Thank you for your suggestion on the limited ingredient foods. I will discuss with the vet.
        And I agree with that advice.
        Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I have a One Touch blood glucose meter and I've started a curve on Bailey today. I hope to compare the meter to the drawing at the vet this week. Here is what we have so far:

Hr 1: 205 prior to shot/food
          Hr 2: 281
          Hr 3: 305

So far, his BG is just going up after his insulin shot. Seems to be the reverse of what we desire. :-(

I will update more as the day goes on.
          Bailey - approx 10 years - 38 pounds - diagnosed diabetic Sep '11 diagnosed cushings 2007 - Blue Buffalo with Barley and Hamburger - fed 2x day - 26u Humulin NPH 2x day - lysodren 625 mg Tues and Fri

Comment

Welcome to the forum!!
            Don't be discouraged! Sometimes it just takes a while for the insulin to catch up with the food! so you will get higher numbers the first couple hours after they eat . Also, when doing a curve, typically you do a BG every 2 hours for at least a 12 hour period. If you do it every hour it will make for a very long day for boyh of you
            Good luck today!!

Sandy

Comment

Well, now, I'll be interested in your Hour 4 reading! Which insulin is Bailey on? (and would you remind me of the dose? Can't see it from here!)

Kumbi was on Novolin-NPH insulin (I'm in Canada). It would typically kick in (onset) at from 1.5 to 2 hours after injection.

Notice that although in Hour 1 - then 2, you have increasing BG levels, the RATE of increase has slowed quite a lot by Hour 3.

I do trust you'll post the entire curve when it's finished. Meantime, don't hesitate to ask questions!

P.S. Which OneTouch model meter are you using?

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 08:41:23 (PDT)
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

Bailey received NPH insulin 23 units. We have not been able to get his diabetes under control yet. The meter is a One Touch Ultra 2.

Hr 4: 274
                Hr 5: 318

Comment

Bailey received NPH insulin 23 units. We have not been able to get his diabetes under control yet. The meter is a One Touch Ultra 2.

I'm certainly no "pro", but those numbers, so far, look pretty good. Especially, considering he's dealing with some allergies and taking benedryl.

It's apparent the insulin is having an impact. ... He's down from the high 500's and acting "normal". Be interesting to see what happens to them as he runs low on "fuel", ... and insulin.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

This is fascinating..like a science experiment on poor Bailey! Sort of like Craig and all his meters! lol

But this will give you great info and will help so much! You might want to stretch out to every two hours...it's going to be a long day with every hour for you both.

Keep up the good work! Hugs!
                    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

looks like you are getting close. My Jenny is diabetic/cushings also and once she had a curve in the 200's, the next adjustment got her in the 100's where she has remained (knock wood)

good job on doing your own curve and I hope Bailey gets there quickly!

Judi
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Welcome to the group! IMO, this is one of the best sites on the internet.

Looks like the food and insulin are playing "tag" and taking turns being "it." That's not unusual. Since the lowest and highest numbers are only slightly more than 100 points apart (so far) and they are all in the 200s and 300s, the curve looks pretty good to me, too. After you've done this for several curves, you will have a good idea of what's going on with your furry friend.

Wishing you and Bailey the best! Will be watching and cheering you on.

Mary
                        Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                        Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                        Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                        Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Hr 6: 355
                          Hr 7: 388
                          Hr 8: 310

Comment

Today Bailey did not want to eat his first meal and he now has diarrhea again. :-( Poor guy can't catch a break!

What do you recommend I feed him?

Hr 6: 355
                            Hr 7: 388
                            Hr 8: 310
                            Hr 10:369
                            Hr 11:254

Comment

poor little guy

the curve you are seeing is a mountain type curve this curve sees a rise and then a drop at the back end but the duration of the rise is quite a long period and the drop appears to be shorter in duration

now the curve may not give a true reflection of food body and insulin because the balance may be thrown off a bit by illness do to the diarrhea

its possible a diet that is slower to digest may help or the addition of some fiber but you really want to get to the bottom of the diarrhea and if this is something that is reoccurring she may need to be checked out and a diet change might be recommended

my jesse was out of whack for an extensive period of time from pancreatitis
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

This isn't a bad curve at all. We just need to get his food and dosage a little more in line. My biggest interest though is to get him to eat so the dosage is consistent over time. Are you adjusting the dosage based on what he eats? We don't want him to get dehydrated from the diarrhea either. I didn't see that you changed his food?? Any ideas on why he is upset?
                                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X