Hemolyzed blood in urine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemolyzed blood in urine

I am not sure where to post this, I was thinking in Everything Else but not sure so if its not appropriate here then sorry.

As well as Alfie I have another dog, a miniature schnauzer called Skye.
    She has been a bit lethargic the last two days and she didn't pee for almost 24hours. When she did finally pee I collected a sample and tested it. She is showing a very high level of hemolyzed blood in her urine. I am planning on taking her into the vet but I am super worried this is going to be something serious and not sure I can face having 2 ill dogs to look after.

From what I have read the dip sticks for blood are accurate in dogs, I also read that it could just be an infection but does a UTI not normally cause dogs to urinate more often rather than less like Skye is doing.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong with her?
    Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Re: Hemolyzed blood in urine

Hi,

It could be a blockage and may be caused by a stone or infection. That's just a couple of ideas.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy

Comment

UTIs and even something as serious as TCC, bladder cancer, typically cause dogs to urinate more frequently. It could be a stone, but I would definately see the vet. I don't know how old Skye is, but with renal failure, they cannot urinate. I'm thinking with the blood it sounds more like a stone.
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Skye has just turned 6
        She did pee eventually but only once in the last 40hours. Its a huge concern but then she is still eating and drinking as normal. She wont jump on the sofa or into the car which she normally does so I am wondering if thats connected to the lack of urinating.
        I usually cant put my jacket on or change my trousers without her being at the door thinking she is getting a walk but all she wants to do is stay in her bed and sleep.

Taking her to vets in the morning - think I will get them to run bloods and try and get a urine sample for C&S.It totally sux
        Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Sounds like it could be a bladder stone causing an obstruction.

Good luck at the vets in the morning - it sounds like they may need to get a urine sample direct from her bladder or even drain her bladder that way. I've never had it done with any dog but I hear that it is quite simple and straight forward and doesn't worry the dog unduly.

Might be a good idea to not give her any more to eat before she sees the vet as they may want to do some testing that requires fasting or knock her out for an X-ray, maybe.

Alison

Comment

Wishing you and Skye (and Alfie) the best - I'll be watching and waiting for your reports!

Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:01:15 (PDT)
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

If she can't urinate and released only a tiny amount or urine, then blockage is a distinct possibility.

Urinary blockage is a middle-of-the-night emergency.

Natalie

Comment

Took Skye to the vet and as usual with these things she was very bright today and feeling much better
                I gave her a haircut so she was smart for going in (mad I know) and noticed she has really bad skin so glad I done it before we went.
                So she has a skin infection on her back and has traces of protein as well as the blood in her urine. She has pee'd more normally today so I am thinking that is not a blockage and just an infection. We have antibiotics for the skin infection but her urine is going for culture but think that the antibiotics for her skin might help with the UTI until the culture iss back!
                Last edited by diggydog; 08-25-2010, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Those are great pictures of Skye!!

We had what we can only guess was a basset or dachsund crossed with a border collie pup when I was a kid in Montana and he always got those hug globs of snow stuck all under his belly. His legs were only about 4 or 5 inches long.

Hope the antibiotic has her feeling better soon!

Natalie

Comment

Thanks Natalie.

Skye LOVES the camera, as soon as she sees a camera she poses for it, which makes taking her to work just now fun. We have loads of tourists staying for the Edinburgh festival and they all have cameras. Skye sits in reception all morning getting her picture taken like a wee super model!

We had a huge amount of snow last year, the most snow we have had for years- it was a total nightmare with her tho as she collected so much snow in her legs on a walk she would get stuck! I ended up having to buy her a wee jacket that covered her legs so she could still run about and enjoy the snow without getting stuck. Too cute!

Anyway she is feeling much better today - she jumped on the bed this morning at 6am full of energy and wanting to go walking. Its the first time I have ever been happy to be woken up so early!!!

Comment

Let us know how the culture turned out...so glad she's feeling better.
                      Patty
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                      X