Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roxee, 13 1/2 y.o. Shih-Tzu/Lhasa mix on Trilostane

John,

Haven't got any opinions to give, just wanted to drop by and see how Roxee was doing. I also have had a weight loss issue with Munchie in the past so do know how worrisome that can be.

I hope your vet will be discussing Roxee's case with Dr. Oliver too. I've not had the pleasure, but everything I've ever heard about him has been very positive and the fact that he so readily responds to members here, that says a lot in itself.

Give some extra scritchies to your furbabies from me!!

Louise
    Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Hi Roxee and John

Wanted to see how your baby was doing and I was worried about her low appetite and weight loss. Hope your vet get in touch with Dr. Oliver at the UTK.

Big smooches to lovely Roxee

Marcela & the Choco Labs

Comment

Hi All,
        Roxee's doing okay today, thanks for asking. We purchased some not so great canned food today and she munched down. (no offense to Munchie)

No Trilo today. Panting has increased, don't know if she is really tired from her very short walks or in combination with the warmer weather. She would pant some even on the Trilo. Maybe it's time to give her a short break and gain some weight which I am hoping turns into muscle mass.

The only real downside over the last couple of weeks is her very picky apetite. If it smells good to her she'll eat it. Seems to change day to day.

Also considering checking her T4 for thyroid. See if the effects of Trilo has affected her thyroid. May need a reduction in soloxine. Hope so.

Will keep you posted and I'll let you know what the vet comes back with.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hey John,

Just checking on you! I don't have much advice to give other than to say that when Bailey goes through the picky eating thing, I stick his food with a little warm water in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Not enough to make it hot....but it seems to release what I refer to as "The Aroma"....and he eats much better. Not sure if that will help with Roxee or not.

I think when any pup is not feeling well it is wise to hold the med just for a little bit. I tend to err on the side of caution myself. I am also glad you'll get some input from Dr. Oliver....he helped me lots! I love him!

A thyroid check is also probably a good idea. If that's off, that can give anyone the yuckies....human and canine alike!

Hoping things perk up very soon!
          Hugs, Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie

Meant to add that Munchie's favoritest thing is munching so I think he'll be fine with your reference! I hear his favorite thing to munch is his momma!

Comment

We purchased some not so great canned food today and she munched down. (no offense to Munchie)
            No offense taken. Beth is right...Mom is a favorite for munching but his ultimate favorite is a vet - any vet!

Funny that you mention Soloxine....I had started to say why Munchie's weight went down in my post and then decided not to - duh. It was from the dose of Soloxine he was receiving - too much. In 6 months he lost almost 3 lbs. Lowered the dose and increased his food by 10% and his weight has remained stable. I've got him trained to sit on a baby scale so I can check his weight every week just in case I need to do any food adjustments. What us pup owners won't do out of love for our babies!!!

Hope it is something as simple as lowering the dose of Soloxine and that her appetite will improve so she can get a tad more padding on her doggy bod.

Louise
            Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Beth is right...Mom is a favorite for munching but his ultimate favorite is a vet - any vet!
              He's pretty partial to a quick bite of vet tech too, isn't he?

Comment

He's pretty partial to a quick bite of vet tech too, isn't he?
                Ahhh, now that you mention it, Alison,.....yes!

L

P.S. John - I'm one of those Moms who owns dog clippers and does something that kind of resembles grooming....mainly because I'm afraid that a professional groomer would most certainly be added to Munchie's "nip list"
                Last edited by LuvMyMunchie; 05-19-2009, 08:50 PM.

Comment

John,

Wishing you and Roxee the best!! I hope her numbers, her energy and her coordination all continue to improve.

You're in my thoughts and prayers!

MJ

Comment

Working...
                  X