My heart or my purse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My heart or my purse

Question: how long can I wait to give Willie his insulin shot? I would like to wait 20 min or so to ensure he doesn't throw up his food.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilbur View Post
      Question: how long can I wait to give Willie his insulin shot? I would like to wait 20 min or so to ensure he doesn't throw up his food.
      A couple of years ago I seem to remember the normal recommendation was 15-30 minutes. So, your 20 minutes would be OK if Wilber occasionally has tummy problems. If he doesn't normally have tummy troubles, it may be better to inject as close to the meal as possible. Annie gets her digestion going pretty quickly and her BG might rise if I waited too long. Remember, the food & insulin need to work together; you might do some testing to see how quickly Wilber starts to rise after eating. Every dog & situation is different, different foods digest at different rates.
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Bad news...we took Willie to the vet to get his bi-weekly sugars tested and the fructose test was over 700 and the other (can't remember name) was in the 400 hundreds.
        I am so confused...how can he be worse on more insulin then when we started? He is currently taking 9 units twice a day (Novolin N). I was beginning to notice little changes like his urine was finally yellow, his water intake and peeing is reduced and yet he is still spiking so high?

We haven't had luck testing him at home so I have to bring him in to the vet for the day and I know he is going to be totally stressed all day there.
        I am so upset, as I thought we were making really good progress.

Sincerely,
        Deeply Down

Comment

Originally posted by Wilbur View Post
          Bad news...we took Willie to the vet to get his bi-weekly sugars tested and the fructose test was over 700 and the other (can't remember name) was in the 400 hundreds.
          I am so confused...how can he be worse on more insulin then when we started? He is currently taking 9 units twice a day (Novolin N). I was beginning to notice little changes like his urine was finally yellow, his water intake and peeing is reduced and yet he is still spiking so high?

We haven't had luck testing him at home so I have to bring him in to the vet for the day and I know he is going to be totally stressed all day there.
          I am so upset, as I thought we were making really good progress.

Sincerely,
          Deeply Down
          The 700's you got on the Fructosamine test looks like it equates to average blood / glucose of somewhere in the 400 range. The Fructosamine is an average of the blood glucose for a couple of weeks prior to the test.

It's not a good number, but it's not the same as a 700 B/G. The following is a table to interpret the results of the Fructosamine test.

You'll get his numbers down. Just takes time sometimes.

r
          Last edited by farrwf; 12-28-2012, 03:03 PM.
          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Thank you Farrwf for the chart. I did speak to his vet tonight and she further explained the numbers to me. I know it's not nearly where we want him to be. We will be doing a curve on him next week to determine more. She also bumped him up to 11 units twice a day for the next week.

Comment

Working...
            X