Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Insulin

Thank you both for the tips. I will try them and let you know the outcome.
    15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

One more quick question - how much is Humulin N and where do you purchase it at?

I know the Novolin N is at Wal-Mart.
      15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

Any drug store should carry both humulin and novolin nph or coscos
        I didnt get much difference in either nph
        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Went to the vet today and was a little disappointed. Yukon has a bladder infection and his right eye is completely blind and left eye has only peripheral vision the vet said.

I asked her if there's anything I can give him as far as supplement or eyedrops to slow down the cataract she said there is nothing. I heard that if I start giving him lutein it will assist in helping the cataract.

She put him on an antibiotic enrofloxacin for the bladder infection and I read some of the side effects were blindness and cataracts in long-term use.

Can someone please give me some insight on when dogs go blind and how you maneuver throughout the day? He is too old to have cataract surgery.

Comment

• Ketones in Urine - Everything else Normal

Yukon had a bladder infection on May 4th and the vet put him on Enrofloxacin 68mg 1x a day for 14 days. His Blood Glucose went down to great numbers (100-200's) which I was told was to be expected.

I noticed about 4 days after the antibiotics were gone, he started jumping back up into the 500's right after eating, which is strange because I changed his food to Royal Canin Glycobalance and the jumps have not been high.

I brought a first morning urine sample in yesterday and they told me his concentration was great - 1040 and his white cell counts were all in range. She said he had sugar in his urine which is expected but it wasn't that high.
            Everything looked really good for Diabetic/Cushings Dog.

BUT...she said that his Ketones were 15! She is puzzled how that can be. I told her that I took him for a walk this morning and pulled some urine and ran it and I show at most a trace.

How could the Ketones be high but everything else is in range? I am so puzzled.

Comment

• Re: Ketones in Urine - Everything else Normal

You can test for ketones at home so you can check if its a problem or not . I dont place to much on just one test
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I have the Bayer Keto-Diastix strips and test regularly. I just bought a new bottle. They show everything's ok.

Is there something made specifically for dogs that would test better?

Comment

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
                  I have the Bayer Keto-Diastix strips and test regularly. I just bought a new bottle. They show everything's ok.

Is there something made specifically for dogs that would test better?
                  Nope . They say ketones are ketones whether its a dog or human . Maybe the test at the vet was incorrect or just an anomaly and I would lean to that as you are not seeing any physical signs of a problem
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

• Blood Sugar Finally Regulated. Yukon always sleeping

I finally got Yukon's Blood Sugar in the 100-200's most of the day (YEAH!).

My question is since he has been regulated in that range he seems to be sleeping more throughout the day. He is getting more blind and very much more needy I noticed. He howls when he doesn't know where we are.

My husband thinks it's because he's getting older, I am not sure. It seems like when his blood sugar was higher he was a little more active. He still is eating like crazy because of the Cushing's I'm assuming and likes to walk but not as far anymore.

Is that a characteristic of low blood sugar being a little bit more inactive?

Comment

• Re: Blood Sugar Finally Regulated. Yukon always sleeping

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
                      I finally got Yukon's Blood Sugar in the 100-200's most of the day (YEAH!).

My question is since he has been regulated in that range he seems to be sleeping more throughout the day. He is getting more blind and very much more needy I noticed. He howls when he doesn't know where we are.

My husband thinks it's because he's getting older, I am not sure. It seems like when his blood sugar was higher he was a little more active. He still is eating like crazy because of the Cushing's I'm assuming and likes to walk but not as far anymore.

Is that a characteristic of low blood sugar being a little bit more inactive?

Jesse could be more active with what looked like normal sugar and could be more active with higher sugar say 250 and that could be reversed . We dont know what blood sugar is most the time and the body maybe battling from going lower and may feel a bit more at ease when a bit higher . Its the ups and downs of the disease . Injected insulin is far different from the normal process so it maybe a bit of a battle for the body

Jesse has went through so many periods of attitude and health . It may just come down to the insulin that we inject into our dogs is not natural to the body which maybe a battle internally . I think over time things will even out

congratulations on regulation

Comment

congratulations on the blood sugar! As my Jenny got older she slept more. Once her cushings was regulated though the voracious appetite went away.
                        Have you checked that lately?

Honestly, for the last year of Jenny's life I went with the theory that if she was happy I was happy and i let up on some of the massive testing.

So, do whatever keeps Yukon happy! Judi
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I am going to get a full blood count next visit - 9/21 and go from there. If the Vet thinks I should do another Cushing's Test at the University of Tennessee I will do that too because I noticed he is still drinking a lot even though his BG is a good number.

The only sad part is he is almost blind - he howls a lot when he doesn't think we are there. I am having a difficult time trying to go places - he has major separation anxiety (and I do too I have to say).

Comment

jesse is older and has a bit of the old timers and she looks for me and not happy if I am not around .

Yukon should adapt as dogs have poor vision to begin with . You just need to work Yukon to the new reality so he can rely more on sent and hearing

Comment

I opened a new vial of vetsulin today and Yukons blood sugar has been in the 400 to 500 all day. Can a vial be bad? I am going to give it until tomorrow and call the vet to exchange it or something.

Also a couple days ago he ate some dirt on the side yard. I heard that dogs do that when they're lacking some type of a vitamin.

Comment

I dont think jesse ever had a bad vial of insulin but she uses the human insulin .It maybe just a coincidence and there could be an infection or it maybe something temporary to throw sugar out of whack

Jesse use to eat coyote and rabbit pooh . I speculated it was like a probiotic
                                I tend to agree that the body is craving something and maybe the reason for higher sugar

Comment

Working...
                                X