Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Patty's Ali

Good on Ali- such interesting info!
    Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

sounds like a great day for you and Ali. fingers crossed that the allergy induced high BG's are over

Judi
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Great Ali news Patty!

Thanks for sharing this information.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Patty - Ali looks like a pup chewing on her back. If that were my dogs the red "thing" would be their leashes. You take such good care of her so I'm glad to read how well she's doing. Yeah!

Pam

Comment

Thanks for sharing the information, Patty. Great News on Ali.... she is a Wonder dog, for sure.
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

It was reading Ali's story at the beginning that gave me hope.... She IS a wonder dog! Thanks for the info too. Really interesting!

Sandy

Comment

Thanks all. I did hear back on her culture. It was negative. We are going to finish out this week on the Amox. I find myself dreading taking her off of it because her infections cycle so often. But they aren't always the same bacteria and I don't want her to build up resistance.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Oh, and a little venting... I know many of you can sympathize with your itchy pups.
                  A while back our favorite shampoo, Hylyt, was taken off the market. I just discovered they are bringing it back in time to learn our fav conditioner, the Veterinary formula botanical extract conditioner by Synergy Labs, is being discontinued. Hate going through trying new products with my allergy-girl. Wish they could leave a good thing alone .
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

How nice to have such a great report on her eyes and the culture!

Natalie

Comment

Good news on your beautiful girl Ali

Louise

Comment

So last Friday Ali started showing signs of her vaginitis infection returning. We weren't able to get into the vet until Monday. They sent off for a culture. Likely Friday we'll hear something. Sure do wish we could break this cycle.

We've had a couple of 'off' bg days where her insulin doesn't absorb well but she's surprisingly been running fairly good overall. Late this afternoon I was headed to the neighbors' for an early dinner and Ali started searching the kitchen sniffing around. Tested her and she was 40s on the meter (which translates to low 70s).

I gave her a large drop of honey and part of a baby carrot. At this late stage in her curve, this would usually put her around 170s by dinner. Nope, 30 minutes later still in the 70s...gave her 2 more LARGE drops of honey and part of a carrot (this would usually have her at least in the 200s by dinner if not higher).

Still in the 70s when I was ready to leave. I gave her more honey and some of her food and she'd risen almost 15 points so I figured she was finally headed upward. I was gone about an hour. Came back and she dropped 5 points into the lower 80s (50s on meter).

I fed her meal, dropped her dose, and delayed her injection and we finally have a rise going.

Not a fun afternoon.

Patty and 'the pin cushion' Ali

Comment

Gosh, Patty; you and Ali are having quite a time. Hope this doesn't mess up your Thanksgiving plans. Dear, sweet Ali! Ali - take care!

Love and hugs,
                          Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:08:31 (PST)
                          http://www.coherentdog.org/
                          CarolW

Comment

Wow, Patty. I join Carol in hoping your holiday plans are not interrupted, and Ali gets better soon!

Mary
                            Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                            Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                            Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                            Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

oh i remember those days quite well a spoonful of sugar helps the numbers go up well i dont think thats the way the song goes but close

but sometimes they dont go up even after a few times just keep dropping back down

this disease can be quite challenging jesses routine i have built so many protocols to address this and she still will surprise me out of the blue it shows for some of us patty you can never become complacent
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

We are pretty low key this year, so no worries on the holiday plans.

That is true Jessegirl. What works 'most of the time' doesn't mean it always will. When Ali drops with only 3 hours left til next shot time, often just a bit of honey and carrot can turn her upward since her insulin isn't as strong as earlier in the day.

She's keeping me on my toes today.

Tonight's high point was 201. I'll feed her 2nd meal soon. She's come down to 162 which isn't as much of a drop as she usually gets. I'm guessing with less insulin she'll be in the 200s in the morning, but I wouldn't mind a higher starting point after this afternoon.

Patty

Comment

Working...
                                X