Something's going on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Something's going on.

I tried to talk my sister in putting her dog on Lantus but I didn't really think she would go for it. She is giving her dog insulin but she doesn't really check him in any way between vet visits. She doesn't check his urine or BG.

Comment

Since Lantus is so variable - it was a nightmare for Chris - it's probably just as well that your sister's going with the more predictable NPH.

Lantus really requires some monitoring at least at the beginning as some dogs go through screaming highs and lows with it.

Natalie

Comment

I am reading the book Dog Health for Dummies and in the ear infection section they say (written by a vet) that you can use athletes foot powder once a week in their ears.

I don't have the book right here and have to feed the dogs but will see what else it says and come back later.
        Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
        Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Comment

Thanks for that info Denise. I wonder if they recommend any brand or if there are any types to stay away from.

Natalie- I remembered you guys saying that about Lantus. The thing I like about it most is I seem to have more leeway with time. I can do about a two hour jump either way (which I try not to do) with out any negative affect and especially since my hours vary so much at work this makes it a lot easier on my conscience. Plus I don't have to worry about the highs and lows to often with no one being at home.

She works right across the street from her house. So she can check him if she wants to. But she keeps telling me she can't get his urine. Poor thing is a bag of bones. He at least does seem somewhat better. He is moving a little better than he did a few weeks ago. He is 14 or 15 and I don't think he will last much longer at this rate. He already lost vision in one eye due to glaucoma (I am assuming it was glaucoma) and his other eye is not being treated. But he does seem to be feeling better than he did.

Comment

Bowens,

Niki had an ear infection about 1 yr after DX she was still not regulated, per vet it was from hi bg which results from yeast forming in the ear. She gave 2 things for her ears to clean.

One problem was Niki has alot of hair by her ears so no air could get into them to dry them out a bit, so I trim around the outside of her ears a bit and get some of those large inside hairs.
            But i now clean them myself and spot check her ears often, I could explain how to do it, if you don't know, its not that hard, Niki tolerates this more than a nail trim, I think it feels good to her. You can tell its yeast rather than just wax build up because there is more of the wax than usual

I had the vet show me, got so tired of paying over and over for all things back then, I don't go way down in her ear or anything like that. You don't need special stuff from the vet either.

I even learned how to express anal glands, did it a few times, but then took to vet, ah the smell was a little much, but I'm sure I will do it again in summer

If want to learn let me know.
            Last edited by eyelostit; 05-22-2008, 10:25 PM.
            Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Working...
            X