Scooter crossed the bridge today 12-3-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scooter crossed the bridge today 12-3-16

Hi every one. I've been lurking here for about a month and finally got the nerve to join and post.
    Scooter was diagnosed with diabetes on May 4th. He was drinking massive amount of water and had an accident in the house (which he never had before). Our vet did a complete blood work up and urinalysis. Thought maybe he had a uti. BG came back @ 351 and he was started on 5 units of Humulin. I requested the lowest dose possible. Silly Me! Here's his info.
    1) How old is Scooter? 7 yrs old
    2) Is he neutered? Yes
    3) How much does Scooter weigh? 25 lbs at his heaviest he was 32lbs. He was 28.08 @ Dx
    4) What times of day do you feed Scooter (and how often)? 6:30am, 5:30pm
    5) Do you feed him any snacks? Boiled chicken and sometimes an unsalted raw almont or 2
    6) What kind of insulin are you giving Scooter? Humulin N 10 units
    7) How many times a day do you inject the insulin? 2

I feed him 1/2 cup 4 health adult formula dry dog with 1/4 cup boiled ground chuck twice a day. Sometimes he'll get an asparagus spear for a snack.

He stared with 5 units on 5/4 went to 6 on 5/11. Went to 7 units on 5/18, 8 units 6/1 and 9 units on 6/15.
    Had a fructosamine done on 7/18 which was high so he was put on 10 units and is still on that amount.

I am testing at home with a Relion meter. The problem is he's all over the place with his BG levels.
    I've done 4 curves.
    7/12 9 units
    6:30 370 before food
    8:30 229 after 20 min walk
    10:30 305
    12:30 444
    2:30 346
    4:30 299
    6:30 125 before food
    8:30 196

7/26 10 units
    6:30 334
    8:30 277 after food insulin and walk
    10:30 263
    12:20 306
    2:30 325
    4:30 256
    6:30 289
    8:30 199
    10:30 314

7/28 10 units
    6:30 235
    8:30 103after 20 min walk
    10:30 174
    12:30 281
    2:30 283
    5:15 194
    9:20 248

8/5 10 units
    6:30 295
    8:30 300
    12:30 349
    2:30 273
    4:30 215
    6:30 268
    8:30 229

My vet seems happy that he is under 300 most of the time but from what I'm reading here he is still too high and he doesn't have a good curve. I could really use some input and suggestions. If I walk him in the evenings he'll drop 100 but he has never gone real low. Just seems to me he's all over the place with his bg.
    He does get a piece of boiled chicken when he gets his blood tested. Little sweetie just lays right down when i saw lets do your blood and get your buk buk(chicken) lol. I have noticed when my husband leaves him to go to work he'll stress and go high. That's what happened on the 6th. Hubby was gone all day. But geez he has to work to pay for all the vet bills!!! In the last 2 years Scooter has had both knees operated on. The right one had a severe patella subluxation and the left he tore his acl. Expensive yes but we do what we have to. He's a part of our family. Thanks for having this forum. I have learned so much by reading everyone's posts. Janice
    Last edited by Scootersmom; 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM.

Re: Scooter

Hang in there Janice,
    One of the smart one will let you know what to do. I am still new at all this also. Just stay strong you will make it.
    Carol Ü

Comment

Hi Janice, and a Big, Fat Welcome to you and Scooter!

Delighted you decided to join and post.

Those numbers look very good to me!

Examples of various curve-shapes are here (scroll down for the "parts list" to see a whole bunch of charts):

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/curvejourney.php

I happen to be doing some charting right now, so if I get a chance, I'll do one for Scooter. No guarantees, but you might find it very reassuring!

Is there a reason you can't feed 12 hours apart? I really like the consistency of doing things that way; it also helps prevent insulin-overlap. On the other hand, Scooter's numbers really do look very good to me; you might be able to tweak them very slightly to bring the curves down just a tad. You want to leave wiggle-room at the low levels, in case, as generally happens, some unusual event (often unknown) drives the BGs down one day.

I don't see ANY threatening lows there, so I think things are looking good, and you MIGHT be able to tweak a bit later, to drop the levels just a bit more.

Sun, 7 Aug 2011 15:08:17 (PDT)
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, Carol. We usually feed him when we eat dinner so he's not begging us for food! Hubby has a hard time telling him no. I on the other hand don't. I guess I'll have to insist on a 6:30 dinner. He just seems so hungry by that time. Thanks for the reassurance that his numbers don't seem too bad. I guess I just want him in the high 100's to low 200's all the time. I just checked him before he ate and he was 150.

Comment

Welcome!
          Just a little comment that might help. I'm sure you've read it's important to be as consistent as possible. I've found that weighing Annie's food, kitchen scale, adds to the consistency.

I'll be reading about Scooter's adventure! Lol
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion Craig. I hadn't thought of that. I actually weigh all of my food so now I will weigh Scooter's too.

Comment

I have a chart for you now, of those four curves. Just have to decide where to put it, since putting it here will make it too small to see easily. I'll find a place on the web to put it, and give you a link. This might take a little while.

Sun, 7 Aug 2011 16:45:23 (PDT)
              CarolW

Comment

Janice - this was a real nail-biter for me; I haven't worked on my web site for nearly a year - too busy - and I've lost the hang of it.

All the same, I seem to have succeeded in getting the chart up on Coherent Dog (my web site).

Here's a link to the chart:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/scooter1.php

I might refine the image a bit, later. Too much to do right now!

I think charts can be very helpful!

Sun, 7 Aug 2011 18:06:53 (PDT)
                CarolW

Comment

The chart(s) Carol produced showed me that the basic shape was pretty much the same. I think it also showed what exercise does, no early dip on 8-5.

Good work!
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks so much Carol. Seeing the curves like that do clarify his numbers. So do you think the 10 units are good for him? The vet wants to do another fructosamine on the 17th. Said she won't change his insulin until it's done. What can that show me that home testing can't? The test is $69 and if it isn't necessary I can't see paying for it. This forum has been a Godsend to me. Thank you so much.

Comment

Craig, Scooter actually walks every morning. I just forgot to put it on 8/5. Sorry bout that. But that is the day my husband wasn't home and as I said he really isn't happy when his "dad" isn't home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scootersmom View Post
                        Craig, Scooter actually walks every morning. I just forgot to put it on 8/5. Sorry bout that. But that is the day my husband wasn't home and as I said he really isn't happy when his "dad" isn't home.
                        Well, there goes my theory!

Comment

The vet wants to do another fructosamine on the 17th. Said she won't change his insulin until it's done. What can that show me that home testing can't? The test is $69 and if it isn't necessary I can't see paying for it. This forum has been a Godsend to me. Thank you so much.
                          Fructosamine tests only show an average of the past several weeks, they can not show any specific readings and can actually show to be in a good range when in fact the dog is not.
                          Fructosamine tests are, in my opinion, a waste of good money.

Insulin dose adjustments should NEVER be based on the result of a fructosamine test.

Home blood testing will show where the dog's glucose level is every time you take that test.
                          It is a vital part of their ongoing diabetes treatment.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Janice - most of us who test blood glucose levels at home request that our vets NOT do fructosamine tests, for exactly the reason you suggest. That is, we have BG records. Some meters, including the OneTouch Ultra2 I used with Kumbi, will show an average of BG levels over a specified period of time. I never used that feature, either! Tried it once, just for kicks.

Possibly some vets get to depending on fructosamine tests, but perhaps your vet would understand if you explain why you don't want it. $69 is a BIG bite out of the kind of budget you're on, which resembled mine a lot!

I trust you don't mind discussing finances with your vet - and your vet doesn't mind discussing finances either! It's a question of where priorities go!

Sun, 7 Aug 2011 19:47:39 (PDT)
                            CarolW

Comment

Thanks so much Carol. Seeing the curves like that do clarify his numbers. So do you think the 10 units are good for him? The vet wants to do another fructosamine on the 17th. Said she won't change his insulin until it's done. What can that show me that home testing can't? The test is $69 and if it isn't necessary I can't see paying for it. This forum has been a Godsend to me. Thank you so much.
                              Welcome Janice!!
                              You pretty much answered your own question about a fructosimine vs home testing!! Save your money and spend it instead on test strips for your meter!! Those will give you a much clearer and more accurate history of what scooters BG's are!!
                              My vet wanted to do a fructosimine a month after Tiggy was diagnosed.... By then we were very proficient at home testing so I just skipped it and have never had one done

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X