Angel Piper.... October 31, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Piper

We usually used the same side for testing, Chris' left lip in our case. I think mainly because it was easier for me. The side seemed to make a big difference in how smoothly I could both lance and inject insulin.

We moved around randomly in the "sweet spot" which was about an inch square or so.

If the lip is getting very sore, you might dial back the lancet if using one or alter your lancing technique if lancing by hand.

We tested Chris a minimum of three times a day for four years - he was about 64 pounds so medium/large sized - and he never had any problems with his lip being sore. But every dog is different.

Natalie

Comment

Congrats on the home testing! Both my husband & I shed tears in the beginning as we worked through the frustration of figuring things out. Decker's right inner lip is easiest to test. I can tell when it starts to get sore because he will pull away when I flip his lip over. Most of the time he is pretty easy going about being tested. Left side works fine too - I'm just more coordinated at getting blood from his right side.
      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Any chance you could switch to the carpal pad? I use this spot on my dog and she doesn't seem to mind much. The lancet needs to be a larger size because the skin is tougher but it's just much easier. Now, in your case, you'll want to be careful because this puts your face close to your dog's and if she bites you might need to be on guard but if it works it might be a better answer.

Also, with your dog's coloring, you could probably also use the ear as you'll be able see the bead of blood.
        Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

She doesn't seem to mind her right side lip too much, as long as my mom is there to pet/hold her. It's the left side that seems super sensitive, so I'm glad to know that it should be okay to just use the right. I've only been trying one test a day right now, just so I don't stress her too much, but I've been playing with her lips while I'm petting her so she gets used to me touching them more.

I can't use her carpal pad because she hates having her feet touched. We tried her ears at the vet, but couldn't get blood even with the 25G lancets.

We used one of the promo codes and ordered an Alphatrak yesterday. I'm hoping that it'll make testing easier, since it requires even less blood than the Relion. I'm also still concerned that the Relion may not be accurate anyway, and since the Alphatrak is made for dogs, it should be more reliable.
          Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Hope you will like the new AT2 you ordered. I really like the fact that it takes such a tiny speck of blood. Sometimes the sampe looks so small that I don't think it's going to work but I put that strip up to the bead and voila, beep goes the AT2 and I've got a reading. Good luck with the testing.

Louise
            Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

The AT2 should be here tomorrow. I'm excited to see if it will be easier for us. I think one of the worst parts of it for her is me holding her lip and head still while I'm waiting for the bead of blood to form. The AT only requires half of the amount of blood the Relion does, so it should at least be faster. Can the AT2 use the Freestyle Lite strips? I think I read somewhere that some people use them, and they're cheaper than AT ones. Do they give a different reading than AT strips?
              Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Originally posted by ceruleanblue View Post
                Can the AT2 use the Freestyle Lite strips? I think I read somewhere that some people use them, and they're cheaper than AT ones. Do they give a different reading than AT strips?
                In the "old days" (last year) some of us did use FreeStyle Lite strips in the original (grey colored) AlphaTrak. The strips, FreeStyle Lite and AlphaTrak, seemed to be exactly the same. Unfortunatly for us, the strips and meters have been updated and no longer seem to be compatible. The FreeStyle Lite strips will still turn on the new AlphaTrak2 meter, but the readings don't seem to match.
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks Craig. So is eBay the cheapest place to buy AT2 strips now?

Comment

American Diabetes Wholesale seems to be the lowest, but I usually spend a little time shopping online when I need more.

http://search.americandiabeteswholes...atrak%20strips
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks Craig. I will probably shop around some when we need more too, but it's good to have kind of an idea of what price I need to beat. lol

It should be here soon! The tracking says out for delivery, and mom said the mailman is in the neighborhood! I never thought I'd be so excited over a meter... Haha...

Comment

Originally posted by ceruleanblue View Post
                        I never thought I'd be so excited over a meter... Haha...
                        Welcome to the club! Annie has five meters. She is always looking for something new and exciting.

Comment

So we have a setback with the testing. I haven't gotten another successful one since that first one. Now she's biting. She knows now the routine for testing, and when I start to come near her with the lancet, she goes for me. Looks like we're going to have to start over again, and much more slowly. ::sigh::

Comment

Sorry you are having such a hard time with the testing. Don't have any advice. My Jake is very good when it comes to testing and his shots.

Jake
                            13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                            At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

People had suggested I pretend test Jenny for awhile. We did everything except actually prick her lip. I even brought the meter up cause that scared her. I think it helped. She is good now but we had epic battles. Hang in there.
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                                People had suggested I pretend test Jenny for awhile. We did everything except actually prick her lip. I even brought the meter up cause that scared her. I think it helped. She is good now but we had epic battles. Hang in there.
                                That's what I'm going to do. I'm just going to completely go back to the beginning and get her used to seeing everything individually, then all together, and just pretend for a little while. I'm also going to keep playing with her lips while I'm petting her to get her more okay with having them touched.

It's so frustrating sometimes! It seems like we're making progress, then she just decides that nope, she's had enough, and we're back to where we started. I'm glad she is finally good for her shots though. That was a struggle in the beginning, but now she comes right up to me for it once she's done eating.

Comment

Working...
                                X