Insulin Injector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulin Injector

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard of the Zoe Insulin Injector?

http://www.zoepetjet.com/home.htm

If you have, do you have opinions?
    My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Re: Insulin Injector

Wow, that is very interesting although I have no problem with the old fashion needle. If it wasn't so much money though I would look into this more only because it says you might actually use less insulin.

It does say you will save money in the long term though but the $695 kit to start off with is just way too much money for something I know nothing about. I will be interested to learn more even though i probably will just stick with what I have been doing.

Nice find though!

The other thing I do like is if it's as easy as it says (and precise as it says) you would get a very good precise dose each time and you could have someone else do it if you needed (it hasn't been a problem for me to make sure i'm around to give my dog a shot but it is a nice thought to make it easy on someone if you weren't around).
    Last edited by ravenecw; 05-11-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Have heard of this. Know that it's about $600+ for the system. Outside of the price, one of my problems with it would be that it "forces" the insulin under the skin. There are injectors like this for people but they're not very popular because of the discomfort involved.

The other issue I have with the information the company supplies is that they claim that you can use Lente insulin via injection. This would either fracture or shatter the Lente crystals, probably rendering the insulin useless, but certainly changing its activity profile by that. You can't put Lente insulin into an insulin pen because the small glass ball in the pen cartridges can fracture or shatter the crystals, so this would be even more force applied than the small glass ball.

Kathy

Adding here, from Intervet, UK re: Caninsulin/Vetsulin:

http://www.cat-dog-diabetes.com/dogs...ers.htm#can_Q5

Q:"I have heard about needleless injectors or insulin pens for administering insulin. Can these devices be used to administer Caninsulin to my dog?

A:"Caninsulin is currently only approved for administration via syringes. For the following reasons it is not advisable to use insulin pens intended for human use:

"Caninsulin is the only 40 IU/ml insulin on the market meaning that all the other injection systems are not correctly calibrated to administer it.

"We have no experience injecting Caninsulin using needleless injectors and have some concerns that the techniques used may in fact damage the insulin crystals and alter the pharmacokinetics of the insulin.

"Caninsulin is not currently available in a vial that is compatible with the insulin pens that are on the market.

"These devices have been designed to deliver insulin through human skin. There is no evidence that insulin can effectively be injected through dog or cat skin. The presence of hair might make the injection even more difficult."
      Last edited by We Hope; 05-11-2009, 04:48 PM. Reason: Intervet information re: injectore

Comment

Thank you for doing this research. I've been looking around more. I think I'll stick with needles, even though Oliver is being a little brat and not cooperating these days.

Comment

I've just bumped up a couple of threads dealing with dogs and shot time problems:

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532

In the one about Princess, you'll see information about a device called Inject Ease. The Inject Ease is made to accept only BD brand U 100 syringes, however, and I know that you're using Vetsulin, a U 40 insulin, and U 40 syringes.

Originally posted by We Hope View Post
          I think what you're asking about is the Inject-Ease.

http://www.palcolabs.com/section_pro...njectease.html

http://www.palcolabs.com/section_sup...ctEase_FAQ.pdf

Inject-Ease FAQ's

This device automatically inserts the needle into the skin--you dispense the insulin by depressing the plunger. What it does is to hold the syringe you've already loaded with the right number of insulin units.

Now, it's only compatible with BD brand U 100 insulin syringes, so this would mean that you would need to be doing the X 2.5 conversion of the number of your Vetsulin units to get the correct amount of insulin into the U 100 syringe.

http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/ho...t/A449850.html

Here it is at Hocks.

It sounds like Princess is like Lucky in that she doesn't like the skin being pulled up, that it's not the issue of the injection itself, but the pulling up of the skin.

If that's wrong and she's reacting or flinching when you pierce the skin with the needle, you might want to think about numbing the area where you plan to give the shot like this:

http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/tips.htm

"For extreme situations one owner reports that using an anesthetic like baby Orajel or Ambesol can help make injections more comfortable. She said she coated the needle with a bit of Orajel before the injection. I would rub a bit of Orajel on the skin a minute or so before you do the injection. This should numb the skin, and you aren't touching the needle."

The baby Oragel or baby Ambesol numbs the skin so that the prick of the needle isn't felt.

Hoping we can get something going that isn't so tough for both of you!

Kathy
          If you were going to think about this, you'd need to do the conversion math above.

Hope there's something in these that might help you with Oliver!

Kathy

Comment

Also copying some of our posts about giving the shot with the needle's bevel side up:

Marion,

You might see if you're giving Cara's shot with the needle's bevel side up.

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showpost...33&postcount=9

The bevel is meant to slide under the skin--here you can see how it's pointed and angled, and how it could be painful and possibly tear the skin if it was turned upside down for a shot.

Peggy,

It's less painful when you have the bevel side up--this is how doctors and nurses are trained to give most injections--with the needle bevel side up.

Graphic of syringe with the needle's bevel side up.

HTH!

Kathy

Comment

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm working on getting my confidence up, but it's taking time.

Oliver was doing well for his shots but now that he's feeling better he's decided to be a total wiggle butt and uncooperative. He starts his wiggling as soon as you pick up the skin .. long before you get near him with the syringe.

His vet even stated that during this week's glucose curve he was very ornery and doesn't want any part of it. We think after everything he has been through and now that he's feeling better, he is just over it.

I've been very careful to warm the insulin to room temperature and make sure the bevel is facing up. I read that marking the syringe while preparing the injection helped. It sure does. It avoids having to find that bevel with a wiggling pup underneath your hands.

We have resorted to smearing a very fine coat of cheese on a saucer for him to lick while he's getting his injection. It's helping ... some.

I watch the videos of you giving shots and checking blood and think, holy cow, when will it get that easy for us?

In the meantime, I will keep reading and reading and READING, and practicing.

Oh one more question, are the U100 BD ultra-find short needles that much smaller that he'd even notice less? Doing the math would be no problem.

Comment

I used the BG inject ease with great success. When Buddy was first dx I was terrified of giving the needles and this helped me so much that I was doing it like pro in only a few days. I loved it so much I continued to use it for 4 years until I broke it and I then ordered another and used it for the final 2 1/2 years. I used Canisnulin before switching to NPH but always used U100 needles (just did the coversion) and although the inject ease states it is designed only for BD I have used Terumo and BBraun needles with no problems. The devise comes with lots of different sized spacers so you can just make it the right length to fit most needles.
                Jenny

Comment

Hi, My name is Nina and my sweet dog Henry was just diagnosed with diabetes a week ago. He seems to being responding well to the insulin, but does not like the injections. If my boyfriend is home we can do it together easliy, I hold him and he injects Henry. He has inconsistent work hours however, so I need to be able to do this alone. Where can I get inject ease and can I use it with the vetsulin and how? Please help! And thank you all for being here! I cannot tell you how it made my heart swell to read these posts and know y'all understood what I was going through and loved your pets as much as I love Henry.
                  Last edited by ngarbiras; 06-08-2009, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Welcome Nina!

Before you can use Inject Ease, you need to work out a conversion for the U 40 insulin into the U 100 syringes. Inject Ease doesn't fit U 40 syringes.

If you don't do the conversion, Henry won't be getting the right amount of insulin. It can be done two ways:

http://felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

U 40 insulin to U 100 syringe conversion table

Or multiply the number of units of U 40 insulin by 2.5. Example--You give 4 units of U 40 insulin twice a day, so 4 X 2.5 would work out to 10 units as measured in a U 100 syringe. Would suggest you bookmark the table at the link above and work with it until you feel more comfortable with converting like this.

Here's a link so you can get a better look at the Inject Ease:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_310.htm

But note what's said at the site about using ReliOn (Wal-Mart/Sam's Club) syringes:

"The Inject-Ease is designed to fit most disposable syringes. ReliOn syringes, however, do not work with the Inject-Ease."

http://www.palcolabs.com/section_pro...njectease.html

Here's the product from it's manufacturer's (Palco Labs) website.

They also have a "Where To Buy" on their site too:

http://www.palcolabs.com/section_whe...salesmain.html

And here you see the online pharmacies with their links who sell the Inject Ease. Many people buy their diabetes supplies from Hock's, which is shown on their list:

http://www.hocks.com/

Hock's has been around for a long time, serving the diabetes community with both two and four legs. Know a lot of people who do business with them and have never heard anything but good things about Hock's.

This should get you started--we'll be glad to help if you have any more questions--now please tell us a LOT more about Henry!

Kathy

Comment

Hi all,

I inject Dazzle while she is eating. That way she barely notices it at all - she's so engrossed in her food. She is OK though having it at other times as well fortunately so she's not a problem at all.

It perhaps helps that I used to have to inject another dog I had who had Diabetes Insipidus & Cushings and I got over the nerves about giving injections with him.
                      Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

Hmmm.... Nina I moved your post to Henry's new thread and it SHOULD have left a redirect here but didn't.

Here's Henry's thread: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054

Comment

Has anyone used the inject ease devices on their pets? What was your experience?

Comment

I just posted this reply to Nina & Henry so I will be lazy and just copy that here.

Yes I am the poster girl for the inject ease.

I love the fact that it gave me the confidence in the beginning because I was so scared I would hurt Buddy. The best things about the inject ease is that you get is set for the depth you want the needle to penetrate and then there is no thinking about how hard to push it in because it does that for you. It pushes the needle in much quicker too so maybe that helps as well.

I used it every day until after a few too many drops on the floor it finally wore out after 4 years, then guess what.....I got another one because I loved it so much. Buddy is now gone but I look back and in my opinion it was one of the best things I ever did.

Jenny

Comment

It doesn't sound like the Inject Ease I just received will work anyways since the syringes I have are U-40's....but the company is very confusing about what brands can be used. I saw a press release where they say the device now works for other syringes, including the Monoject I have..yet on their website and some places that sell it it still says it will not work with Monoject.

I'm going to see how much per month the Vetpen will be before I look into getting different syringes etc. I know the needle still shows etc but I gave shots to a friend for years so I should be more comfortable with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X