Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum - seeking advice

Hello all,

Seeking advice on diabetic dog with skin issues.

Enzo - 9 yrs old
    Diabetic
    Blind
    currently regulated with BG levels around 110-120
    currently on
    Nph Insulin 15 units BID
    Soloxine 0.5mg BID
    Cyclosporine eye ointment BID for KCS
    Diet is Hill's Science diet w/d mixed with cooked chicken or fish

After a year of crazy bg levels, is now regulated after being started on thyroid medication. I have had Enzo (a rescue dog) for two years now and he has had severe hair loss, folliculitis, basically all of his hair shafts are dead and new growth is minimal. Lately we have been battling some skin lesions that are draining tracts filled with puss. After a great deal of cultures and antibiotic treatments they are still unresolved. It is been suggested by a derm expert that he may have a zinc deficiency, which is something that his breed (siberian husky mix) has known issues with.

The derm expert and my vet are recommending a couple of options, start on a zinc supplement, or start on melatonin (also known to help skin issues) or begin a low dose predinisone treatment.

I am worried about any of these options. I know I do not want to do the pred as I have had past experiences with other dogs on this and it was not good nor beneficial.

What I have read about the melatonin supplements is that it can often interfere with the bg levels and insulin tolerance - so I'm concerned about that.

The more I read about the zinc deficiency it appears this may indeed be the best route.

I am seeking advice from anyone who has treated their diabetic dog with zinc supplements or really any suggestions/advice are welcome.

Please know I have done extensive and expensive testing with no conclusive results. As far as he is concerned there is nothing wrong with him, he is the happiest dog I've ever owned.

Thank you for any advice!

Maria & Enzo

Re: New to forum - seeking advice

Hello and welcome
    Our dog has various issues as well as diabetes including very itchy paws and ears for which we have tried many and varied remedies. One thing we used was prednisone which I expect triggered the diabetes so we no longer give any of that.
    The vet has never been able to identify the root cause of his skin problems. We more or less assumed it was allergies though I now suspect it may be yeast infections. It sounds as if your dog's problems may be more severe.

I have for the last maybe three months been giving him zinc supplements just in case they help. They don't seem to have affected his BG levels or general well-being and I am currently inclined to think they may help a little.

We give him one per day of Higher Nature 20mg zinc balanced with copper - a human supplement. I got it from Amazon (in UK). It is important to balance it up with copper otherwise the extra zinc can leave them with a copper deficiency apparently.

I also use CLX Wipes which are medicated (animal) wet wipes which contain a zinc compound amongst other things. They do seem to soothe the skin nicely and slightly deter his chewing/licking.
    Antonia
    Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Hi Maria and welcome to you and Enzo,

I'm relatively new here, but severe hair loss and folliculitus can be caused by hypothyroidism. How long has Enzo been on the thyroid meds? My dog, Lily, is also hypothyroid and suffered insulin resistance, hair loss and skin issues prior to being put on Soloxine. The soloxine had an immediate effect on her insulin resistance, but it took several weeks before her hair and skin started to recover.

Good luck with Enzo!

Mike
      Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-27-2014, 05:08 AM.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thanks Antonia, I have been looking at the different Zinc supp products, so I will check out the one that you mention.

Mike, Enzo has been on the soloxine now for almost three months. Oddly enough I did a full thyroid panel on him and the results were inconclusive but my vet felt we should start him on the meds despite the results - and within two weeks his BG which were in the 400-600 ranges were dropping to 200 and progressed from there.

However, it has not improved his coat, although we were hoping for that bonus. I am hoping the zinc will help.

Enzo was a stray for a what appears to be a really long time, he was in bad shape, very very thin. He was already blind and had a number of other health issues. He has come along way and it is very frustrating to have figured out and "fixed" everything else but this skin issue.

Keep your fingers crossed for us. BTW - Lily and all your other dogs are Beautiful!!

Maria & Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post

Mike, Enzo has been on the soloxine now for almost three months. Oddly enough I did a full thyroid panel on him and the results were inconclusive but my vet felt we should start him on the meds despite the results - and within two weeks his BG which were in the 400-600 ranges were dropping to 200 and progressed from there.

However, it has not improved his coat, although we were hoping for that bonus. I am hoping the zinc will help.

Maria & Enzo
          Maria... Your vet certainly made the right call with the soloxine, so I would trust him and go with the zinc option for now. And, who knows, maybe it will take more time for the soloxine to improve Enzo's coat. You are lucky to have found a vet with good instincts.

Mike
          Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
          Diabetes: Aug 2013
          Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
          Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Hi Maria and Enzo!
            I just wanted to add our Welcome! You really have found a great place, especially for support and info! I don't personally have experience with the supplements and meds you are discussing, but sounds like you are getting good information from those that have it! We're fortunate that Vinny is just dealing with diabetes at this point and we're very thankful for that!
            Welcome again!
            Mel and Vinny
            Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
            X