Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Jack the project!

Natalie,

Lucy was never good with Prednisone..........infact she had so many injections of Pred that we think this contributed to her diabetes

She peed a lot on it Natalie I think once it is out of Jack's system you will see a difference in his urinating.

It is no fun being up every hour especially when you are both tired.

I always remember you saying Natalie that like me you are up very early and can go back to bed and sleep again. I always go back for a couple of hours.

I would not last the pace if I didn't go back Getting old now (Ha Ha)

Hope things get better soon Natalie.

Hugs

Margaret
Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Hoping things settle down once the pred clears, Natalie.
-P
Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator

He's very quiet but I think his urinating is a little better. I've been taking him out every 1.5 hours and now instead of a gallon, he goes a more normal amount.

We are gonna check in with the vet this afternoon just to go over things and see whether she thinks we should check anything like his electrolyte levels.

Natalie
Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 AM

I want to say poor Jack but I'm thinking poor Natalie. You must be exhausted. I so feel for you as interrupted sleep just kills me.

Hope it continues to go well.

Louise
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Administrator

We switched him over to methyl-prednisone last night. And after 36 hours without a dose of pred, his urination had decreased a little and it had a little color to it so I was encouraged that the effect was capable of wearing off and he seemed better hydrated.

He made it through last night with one potty at 10:30pm, one at 1am, and one at 5:30am, the last a tad desperate to go. But then he went out again at 6:30am, just an hour later, and did a gusher. Then made it to 8:30am... so we will see. Every two hours would be only slightly better than every 1.5 and I don't think we will know where it will fall until he's been on it a full 24 hours.

I have an appointment this afternoon that is brief but about 35 minutes away so I will take him with me so he won't have to go a full 2 hours without a potty break.

It was good to sleep three or four hours at a time last night.

So we will see how the day goes.

Thank you for all of your kind thoughts - they are much appreciated.

Natalie
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Keep us posted Natalie. Hoping the methyl-pred is better.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Natalie - I'm calling you before I have to visit the incontinent aisle or the nursing home, whichever comes first. You're such a good girl!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Administrator

He's back to needing to go about every hour and a half, occasionally more often, so no different on methyl-pred than on pred... not sure what that means, if anything. He seems subdued but did a good leash walk just now and is eating and pooping normally.

I'm trying to get some work done but I probably need to check in with the vet(s) to see if the fact that his response to the methyl-pred being the same means anything at all.

Natalie
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Interim CC

I've never heard of methyl-pred having less side effects in the PU/PD(?????). You'd think that if that was the case it would be prescribed all the time in preference to prednisone.

Is some sort of local steroid injection around the problem area a possibility to avoid or at least minimize the systemic effects?

FWIW, when Mia's cortisol began to rise (or she when was on pred briefly for a bad ear) the PU/PD was by far and away the first symptom to kick in. It looked like the dose of cortisol (or cortisol equivalent) had to be higher to trigger the big appetite etc. but the effect on urine production was very marked and very rapid in onset.

The delay in getting back to normal urination after the pred could have been medullary washout. I've had a bit of that myself lately (I seem to be very prone) due to drinking heaps to cool myself down at times rather than because of thirst. After a while I'm going to the loo every 40 mins (urgently!) and needing to drink a lot this time to keep up with the urination. With me it usually fixes itself to an extent overnight (not drinking) and then it is back in full force by the afternoon.

OK - that was probably too much information!

Alison
Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Alison, I have had the same question and just haven't had time yet to pursue an answer.

More correctly, it's methylprednisolone, which may be the key to the difference. I haven't had a chance to do any research so I'm pretty much talking out my a... but I do know that my cat gets prednisolone rather than prednisone and I seem to recall that they don't like to give cats prednisone and that the issue is somehow related to the conversion process of one to the other.

Obviously, I need to do more reading!

The GP vet said the MP is longer acting than prednisone and the neurologist is giving it once a day instead of twice as with the prednisone. I just saw a reference that said that steroids are more effective if given more than once a day but also more toxic when given more than once a day so perhaps that is related to the hope that it would have less effect on his urine function.

And it is more expensive - $30 at Target instead of $11 - and not routinely stocked by either vet.

There's the sum of what I know right now but I am determined to get it sorted out for myself tonight.

Natalie