Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Questions about dog newly diagnosed, from Australia

Thanks Pat I been looking as well , well Chemist gave me phone number of company Eli Lilly who makes this in Australia and that is where Chemist orders his
so i can ring maybe i can get it form them .
Once I done all the checking i will talk to vet about changing here
I so thankful i found this site and I just want to say Thanks for everyone helping out on info
Helga
Old 03-23-2011, 01:20 AM
Founding Member

Humulin N or NPH is the same thing. I paid about $25-30 several years ago so the price is still good and it will last more than twice as long.

I used to get a script from the vet and take it to my local chemist and get it from there. They were a Diabetes Australia Distributor so it was always on hand. I believe some chemists might have to order it in so you would need to make sure you always had enough on hand.

Jenny
Old 03-23-2011, 02:06 AM

Arrow Re: Questions about dog newly diagnosed, from Australia

Hi Somhelga,

Marvelous! That's exactly the insulin you want - Humulin-NPH! So glad you can get it for $30 a vial! (Thanks, Pat, for passing on that information.)

Can you find the syringes you'll need? U-100 syringes - generally, that is what a chemist will sell; they don't sell Caninsulin syringes (U-40) in Canada nor the U.S. - those, people here have to buy from vets.

So you're on the way!

Wed, 23 Mar 2011 02:06:07 (PDT)
Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 AM

Talking Re: Questions about dog newly diagnosed, from Australia

Thanks Jenny well all I need know to convince vet to change

yes Carol the syringes they sell where my son works but I thought they bit expensive there 50 for $ 46 and that is whole sale
I think Jenny send me a link where she ordered them from so will ring there

It pays to shop around

Serena done well today not very low but best was BG 9.4 .
I don't think I mentioned that she is on heat right know , what puts Sugar levels out as well .
I had her never de-sexed due to here weight problem . was really bad luck she got on heat about same time as treatment started
But for that she is holding well, she is so much brighter and I sometimes worry , hardly see her drink anymore
know finding cheaper ways to help here will mkae it easier on my budget
Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 AM
Founding Member

Hi Helga,

I just read about Serena not being desexed. Every time she comes into heat her hormones are racing around messing with her blood glucose. Sometimes getting a dog desexed will resolve the diabetes. Either way I think you are going to have to seriously think about getting Serena desexed to get her regulated or maybe if you are lucky stop her being diabetic.

Hopefully someone who can explain this better than I will also respond.

Jenny
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 AM

Arrow Re: Questions about dog newly diagnosed, from Australia

Hi Helga,

Jenny is so right - the first priority is to have Serena spayed. It's pretty well impossible to control blood glucose in an un-spayed female. Better talk to your vet, then!

Wed, 23 Mar 2011 05:16:40 (PDT)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Hi Helga,
So glad you mentioned Serena not being desexed. That info is a very important part in managing her diabetes. Sometimes we forget to ask if a dog is spayed or not.

It is possible for a dog to be diabetic while in heat but once desexed, the diabetes goes away. It doesn't always happen that way but it is possible. You also likely won't find her to be stable while in heat as her hormones are fluctuating so testing will be very important.

We had another member here who went through this last year and once spayed, Gypsy was no longer a diabetic: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...t=1667&page=14

Patty
Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Great to know. I learned something new to day.

Pat
Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM

wow that is interresting the vet wanted her spayed but she said she was to sick right know , then she came on heat .
So once she is better we will get it done
That is a great peace of Info Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Interim CC

If you are unable to get her stable enough to spay (and you almost certainly won't get anything like stability/regulation until this heat is over) there is one other option available here in Australia and that is the new(ish) drug, Suprelorin. Here's a link to some info: http://www.peptech.com/HTML/Animal_H...orin_Uses.html

If you were to get the implant now it could possibly shorten this current heat (stop ovulation), which would certainly be a plus. It is used (off label) in cockatiel hens who are laying eggs and it certainly switches their egg production off very promptly once they get the implant put in.

It lasts about six months which should give you some breathing space re getting her stable enough to spay.

Alison