Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Questions about dog newly diagnosed, from Australia

HI Alison thanks for that link the vet talked to me about it when we realized she is on heat .
After checking it out the vet said it is not good for Serena when on insulin it makes the insulin play up .
So I better of to get it over she is about half way through. her BG was really good last 3 day between 6 to 8 in morning after feed about 15 and then her best around 2 pm down to 6.1
So maybe it does not affect her to much being on heat

I think i also learning what foods affect here and I'm avoiding them
Thnaks for all the good advice and help
Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 AM

Talking Re: Questions about dog newly diagnosed, from Australia

Helga - please keep us posted! Rooting for you and Serena!

Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:19:18 (PDT)
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Interim CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by somhelga View Post
HI Alison thanks for that link the vet talked to me about it when we realized she is on heat .
After checking it out the vet said it is not good for Serena when on insulin it makes the insulin play up .
Was it definitely Supralorin that your vet looked into or the older drug Ovarid? Ovarid (which is a progesterone-like steroid) would certainly mess with BG but I would be surprised if Supralorin would - except in so far as once the heat subsides (whether naturally or not) her response to insulin will almost certainly change (probably need less and maybe - just maybe - none at all.)

Alison
Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Alison not sure what she checked into , my aks but Serena is soon done anywhey so want worry this time and by next time we hope it be all ok

Would be nice is she is well again but here problems started a few weeks before she came on heat so I don't expect chnages but even less Insulin be great . will keep u all posted , BG been pretty good was down to 7.1 this morning
Helga
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Serena is doing fine , so glad

Well we seem to have settled in out routine , she is still on heat so one day BG is perfect next up . i guess not much we can do .
The Vet agreed to change her over to Humulin NPH so that will work out cheaper for us , I just hope she does well on it .
She is nearly here old self , nice to see her better. I asked her about the BG meter as well and they use a human one as well so she said mine is fine.
So our results should be pretty even
My poor son had to give her needle in teh morning last 2 days and wouldn't you knwo it she wouldn't eat for him. he rang me up all panicking, i cant make her eat so I cant give her needle .
I tolled him to slow down and try bit later ....no no she dye .....well I talked to vet about it and she explained to me what to do then so I think next time he want worry so much .
Trouble is in about 2 months I have to go away to visit my parents in Austria they having there Diamond anniversary and Dad send me ticket ( they 81 thsi year and not well) so have to go .
My son will take care off the dogs, so he better get used to it , he is ok giving needles but i still worry .

So I hope once she is off heat our BG is settling down more .
Thanks to everyone for all the good advice
Helga
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 PM

Arrow Re: Serena is doing fine , so glad

Helga - I'm glad Serena is doing okay. Hope you have plans to have her spayed before you leave to visit your parents! She WILL need to be spayed; then you can watch - there should be time before your trip!

Please keep us posted! Thanks!
Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:24:42 (PDT)
Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Serena is doing fine , so glad

She will be spayed before she comes on heat again but not before i go away . Vet does not think she is strong enough or stable enough right know.
but by time I come back she be ok to have it done.