Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Franklin has diabetes

Hi Jane,

Hope you won't have problems in the future, but if so, it generally is a matter of experimenting to see what works better since it's so individual to the dog.

We have saved a thread about injection tips in the Answers forum.

I'm going to give you a link to the Injections and Syringes section of the Answers forum as there are several threads there you might be interested in.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Natalie
Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM

HI everyone,

Thank you so much for all the links, tips and info, very helpful. He's still being a wriggle butt though. Gah! Franklin went for another curve on Wednesday and this is how things went.
Fasting 08.30 22.5mmol multiplied by 18 = (405 ug/dl)
08.45 .088 insulin
10.30 12.8 (230)
12.00 10.2 (183)
14.00 18.5 (333)
Dose to go up to .09 (9 on the marker) of a u100 syringe, making his new dose 3.6iu.
His nadir came early. Insulin ran out early, Franklin quiet ish and content in cage.
6.8kg (stayed the same weight as last Friday). The vet injected him, I wanted to see how an experienced person does it. I'm in awe.
Franklin hasn't been eating as much as he should be, only eating about 300grams at most per day, even with chicken broth on top. Our nutritionist can't get to his recipe before Monday, and I need him to eat. I've added in some wet commercial food and some Royal Canin weight control kibble (which is good for diabetics). Now Franklin is really having a go.
Just to recap, dose is now 3.6iu caninsulin which is 9.0 on the marker of u100 syringe.

A friend loaned me her pup's halti collar yesterday, and he stood on the floor glaring at me, sooky and sullen. AND STILL!!! I got him so easy last night. Then this morning back to the same old squirming. ARGH!
Thinking that the injecting problem is my lack of skills, maybe the gauge and depth of injecting, we went to the chemist and got some 30gauge 5/8" u100 insulin syringes. He squealed in my ear this morning. So we went for a drive to mum and dad's. 10 seconds later and done. He likes to be cuddled for his shot. Think I need to take up yoga to get my legs in a pretzel/hug/death grip type position .
The bathroom sink has worked twice for us, so thank you for a reasonably easy 2 shots.

Due to go back to vet's next Friday for a curve. Got to work up the courage to begin home testing soon.

Jane and the ever squirming wriggle butt Franklin, maltese 6.8kg, 3.6iu caninsulin, at moment combo of home cooking, wet commercial and RC weight control kibble, Australia.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM

Wriggly butt! What a pooper he is! Keep at it tho and you'll get to be a real pro. Sometimes it just takes them learning that they have no control and they are getting it whether they like it or not. Try the distraction treat technique or nab him while he's eating...anything so he's NOT focusing on what you're doing back there. By the time they realize...oh darn, it's all over. lol Good luck!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Think I need to take up yoga to get my legs in a pretzel/hug/death grip type position .
Funny Jane. That would be a video we'd need to see . Glad the sink has worked at least a couple of times for you.

His curve is quite deep but I wonder of part of that is because he's not eating the same for you. Look forward to the curve Friday.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 PM

3 August
08.30 20.1mmol (361.8)mg fasting
08.50 .1ml insulin given (10 on marker)
10.50 17.7mmol (318.6)
12.50 14.1 (253.8)
14.45 11 (198)
16.00 8.9 (160.2)
16.45 8.5 (153)
17.15 9.3 (167.4)
Nadir came at 8hrs which the vet was very happy with. Combo home cooked diabetic recipe, royal canin weight control kibble and a little bit of commercial food. 6.8kg (15.3lbs) and body type changing.

17 August
6.6 kg (14.8lbs). Fasting 11.7mmol (210.6mgdl) WOO HOO! Franklin seems to have stabilized! YAY!!! So vet decided not to do a curve. Franklin's body is much more muscular over his ribs now but I can still feel his spine without much effort.
We're still waiting for a recipe tweak, he's not too keen on the swedes/rutabagas that feature in the home cooked diet. To try and help him put on some weight, or at least not lose any more, this morning I added a small sprinkle of rice flour to his commercial food for some extra calories.

It's now been more than 2 weeks since I've needed a helper to give Franklin his shot. It began with smearing a little cream cheese on my shin and jabbing while he was distracted. We've had to evolve, now I've taken to putting a few bits of sliced cheese on a plate, and I've added a prize also. Could be a little chunk of chicken, or a bit of ham. Hey, it's working.

Since there was no curve on Friday, and I'd been practicing playing with Franklin's lips, I tried for a home bg test. Twice. First one not enough blood. Gah! Second time the little booger started flinging his head around like Linda Blair. Argh!

So today we went to see his blood pressure vet practice. They do ear prick testing and they showed me how to get it done. He has a yeast ear infection I found out, so I'll leave the ear pricking for a few days till his ears are feeling a bit better. He's on surolan for the yeast infection.

Eternal gratitude for all of your help to get us (me) to this point.

Jane and Franklin

Last edited by Franklin'sMum; 08-20-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: name of ear drops was wrong.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Founding Member

thing are looking good congrats on the nice numbers

it sounds like home testing is in your future
Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Thank you very much. It was always my intention to begin home testing. I think that having my confidence shaken when he started to resist the injections had a lot to do with the delay. Why struggle with 2 things when I hadn't come close to mastering the jabs? I still haven't mastered the art, but I know for sure he's playing me sometimes. Like when the needle was more than an inch away from his skin and he yelped.

I was concerned about the jab tonight, after learning of the ear infection. I thought he'd put up a fight with me going near his head, and I was right. (The power of negative thinking?) Between a slice and a half of cheese for the insulin and a head lock for the ear drops it took a half hour to get Franklin done tonight.

2 more weeks of the ear drops. Yay!

Best wishes to all,

Jane and Franklin, 6.9kg maltese with diabetes, atypical cushing's, proteinuria, epilepsy, home cooked, royal canin weight control, a little commercial food. Melatonin, lignans, enalfor, phenobarb, 4u caninsulin bid (10 on marker of u100syringe) Australia
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 AM

I have cats. There are times when slipping the cat into the sleeve of an old sweatshirt can make all the difference, especially if there is a knot at one end, and a collar over the other.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Founding Member

Hi Jane,

You got it right...if you hesitate of even act like it is going to be a problem then Franklin will pick up on it and run with that idea. Channel your inner actress and try to act confident at least on the outside. Have you thought about using an injection device. I used the inject ease on Buddy and it helped my confidence. I know there have been discussions here before on these devises but not sure how many have used them but I will say the inject ease is what saved me.

Jenny
Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 AM

Indygo, can you describe the collar with the sweatshirt a little more please? Would it be similar to half putting a muppet in a leg warmer so they can't bat your hands away?

Jenny, I googled the inject ease-looks really good. I got him so easy both shots today, so whether Franklin realizes it's gonna happen regardless, or if he's figured out he needs it to feel good, I don't know. Back when I turned into a complete spaz (a couple of weeks ago) I asked the vet if using a pen needle would be better for me, and she said she usually advises that if the injector person has arthritis or bad eyesight. And when I found out that even with the pen needle I'd still need to tent and have him stay reasonably still, I was going to be back at square one.
I think we might try the inject ease though. And it would be handy if someone else needed to jab him, but it will have to wait until next well when I might have some money

Franklin's ears are much better, last night and both times today he didn't cry for the ear massage. The sink is a great place to have him for the ear drops, so thanks again for that tip.

Much love and many hugs to you all and your babies,
Jane and Franklin