Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Munchie–11 yr. old MiniSchnauzer–Just Diagnosed

Good luck with Munchie's new bottle - so many variables, trial and error. I know, I bought a new one after a month because I just knew it had to be what was keeping Bo's sugar high. No difference at all , but it led us to a new type insulin that is working really well. Not perfect yet, but a relief to find somthing that helps.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBuddy View Post
I always stored Buddy's insulin in the fridge. I never warmed the bottle each time but after filling the syringe I would warm it by placing it in my mouth (sideways) for a few minutes to remove the ouch when injecting.

Jenny
This is what I do too. I keep my vial in the box, in the butter holder, in the fridge.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
This is what I do too. I keep my vial in the box, in the butter holder, in the fridge.
That is exactly what I'm doing too plus using Jenny's technique for warming now. Seems to be warm enough as he doesn't even flinch when I give him the shot.

Louise
Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Founding Member

Hi Louise,

I can't say I am glad to see you (here) if you know what I mean but it is nice to catch up again.

Sorry to hear Munch has diabetes but to be honest out of all the things wrong with Buddy at the time it was Diabetes that actually made sense. I am not saying it was a breeze, sometimes it was a nightmare, but mostly it felt I had a bit of control over this disease.

If you can test at home and balance the insulin/food/exercise regime then you can make a big difference.

Jenny
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Hello Folks, Not sure if it would be relevant, but I thought I would throw it into the pot. When I was using Levemir they said not to refrigerate the pens. Being as it was so expensive and I wanted to make it last as long as possible and the clear ones can be stretched if refrigerated, I refrigerated mine. After doing a bit of reading i found they want the pens unrefridgerated as they are meant to travel with people and there may be a slight difference in volume if drawn up cold versus warm.

Tara
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM

With the levemir...the packaging states that the pen in use should be kept at room temp but the ones you are not using should be in the fridge. Seems more confusing than ever! lol But this is what I've been doing....not even thru the first pen yet tho.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Interesting on the Levemir storage...
Patty
Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Hi Louise,
I haven't seen a post in a few days and am hoping Munchie is doing ok
Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for asking about Munchie. Unfortunately he recently has had a couple of recurring non-diabetes health related problems that never seem to get resolved in addition to his as yet unregulated bg.

Munchie's doctor had me split the home cooked fish/rice diet into two servings and it is a huge amount of food to put into his poor little gut at one time. After being given a diagnosis of chronic, mild pancreatitis I'm really concerned about what this is going to do to him. He's doing a lot of belching and last night he had a bout of loose stool so I started him on Metronidazole, which I've been told to do whenever he has loose stool. In 2010 he was tested and diagnosed with SIBO but don't know that's what this current episode is.

Today is curve day. His numbers are still all over the place. Last night before insulin he was at 257, which is an improvement over where he was in October. This morning after the meds and loose stool his fasting was at 391. Two hours after that bucket of rice diet and 7 units of insulin he's at 604 and is not feeling well. I know that 7 units insulin BID is still a low dose and I am reluctantly wearing my patience hat. There is such a difference in Munch when his numbers are at least under 300. All he has to do is eat that bucket of rice and he's down flat for the entire afternoon. It is very hard for me to see him this way.

I have asked his IMS about the possibility of trying a Rx diet but he wanted to keep him on home cooked. This home cooked diet has never lower his triglycerides and certainly isn't diabetes friendly. It's mostly all cooked white rice with a few nerds of fish thrown in. The Derm doc I took him to didn't actually do any allergy testing, just said chicken was probably the problem and his diet was changed. This was back in '08 prior to SIBO diagnosis. Now, in 2012, no chicken but same problem. At this point I'm just not sure what to do.

Louise
Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 PM

Louise,

I can see why you are so frustrated. I know that your IMS doesn't want to put him on a prescription diet, but I have had much success with Honest Kitchen Zeal. No rice, but it does have a fair amount of fish in it, along with other vegetables. I find that I add my complex carb to it, if needed.

It may be a compromise between home cooked and something that is not filled with rice.

Barb