Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Default Shots at the kennel

We need to be away tomorrow from 10am until 10pm. We don't trust leaving Rudy alone for 12 hours so we arranged to put him up in a kennel for the day and pick him up at 10am on Monday. The kennel advised that they will feed him his Hills W/D and give him his 6 units of Insulin tomorrow night ($10 extra) and we will take care of his food and morning shot after we pick him up at 10:00am on Monday. Anyone have experience with a kennel not following through or have any advice such as a phone call at 7pm to be sure he received his shot?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Arrow Re: Shots at the kennel

Hi Don,

I have no experience with needing to kennel Kumbi while away myself. A lot depends on the kennel and staff. Have you used this kennel before? Do YOU have a lot of confidence in the staff?

And you checked to make sure somebody (who will be on duty) is competent to give the shot?

If so, the arrangements sound pretty good for me, except I wonder if you could pick Rudy up at 9 a.m. Monday instead of 10 - might stabilize the timing of his food and insulin Monday morning.

Maybe I'd talk over with the staff what to do if something goes fishy with Rudy - say, not eating, or only eating half his meal. If you get such things squared away beforehand, and you're confident in the staff, I think it should be okay. All things being equal!

If things were to go wrong, I'd consider, what could go wrong that would actively endanger Rudy. And the only thing I can think of there is if Rudy doesn't eat and they inject him anyway, or if they get the dose wrong or something. I guess I'd demonstrate, or mark a syringe (or two?) at the correct dose (put a mark on the barrel).

I feel a bit brainless today, and maybe somebody else will have other thoughts.

Sat, 3 Jul 2010 18:45:09 (PDT)
Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Shots at the kennel

Here's the link to an older thread you might take a look through for ideas as well http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1631
Old 07-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Thanks guys for the quick responses. Good advice from both of you. We have used the kennel several times before and the staff seems capable, but I will question them regarding experience with shots and provide detailed instructions. Unfortunately, because of the holiday, they will not open until 10:00. It is only one day and we will call to confirm the shot was given so I don't think anything will go terribly wrong.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 PM

Let us know how it goes! Enjoy your day tomorrow
Old 07-03-2010, 09:55 PM

I've kenneled Rowlf for up to a week before, but only after I had gone over everything with staff, including demonstrating giving her a shot. It was a kennel that I had used for years, and they knew Rowlf from before she started having the diabetes problems. I made sure they knew how to contact me and/or the vet immediately if something came up. And since she tends to not eat for the first day when I board her I made sure they understood how to respond to that. They adore her (and Sam, her Rottie big sister who is now gone). Enjoy yourself while you're gone - and if it's a kennel you trust I'm sure it will be fine. - sheureka
Old 07-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Everything worked out fine at the kennel. Picked up Rudy this morning and he seemed just fine - tail wagging and even peppier than usual. When we dropped him off the girl at the front desk advised that the staff was experienced at giving shots. She even said that she also works at a vet and often administers insulin shots. I had pre-filled the syringe with 6 units but also left a vile in case of emergency. As it turned out, we got a call at 2:00 to advise that the needle was bent. My wife inquired if they had an available syringe which , fortunately, they did. Theie only request was that I bring a replacement syringe. All in all, a good experience. Again, thanks for your help and concern.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:42 PM

Don,
So glad things went well!!
Patty
Old 08-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Default Now may also have Cushings

Rudy's urine began rising two weeks ago for no apparent reason. I have increased his insulin from 6 units to 7,5 units twice a day and his urine sugars are still high. He is very sluggish, never stops begging for food, eyesight has deteriorated significantly, significant loss of muscle control (trounle going up and down steps), substantially increased thirst, and is constantly rubbing his eyes on the rug.

We took him to the vet today who advised his weight went down from 23 lbs to 17.75 lbs since April. Although he looks thinner, the vet observed that his belly appears bloated. It was the vets opinion that Rudy is most likely also suffering from either Cushings or other adrenal malfunction. Rudy is scheduled for a Cushings test on Tuesday,

I registered on the K9cushings forum, but have not yet received posting privileges. I was wondering if anyone has a diabetic dog also with Cushings and if so do the above symptoms look like Cushings?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Interim CC

Default Re: Now may also have Cushings

Hi Don,

I've just approved your membership at K9Cushing's so you can now post over there.

(I'm an Admin at K9Cushing's, BTW.)

Alison