• Show
Clear All

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Dog's name, breed: Georgia, Borzoi
    Dog's weight: 72lbs
    Diet: Purina One; changing to raw prey model
    Insulin: Humulin N
    Number of units per injection and injections per day: 9 units, 2x day
    Brand of BG meter if home testing: I haven't purchased one yet.

Georgia was diagnosed yesterday, so we are just starting to adjust her food and use insulin.

Rebecca

Comment

New here, so let's get started...

Baby Name: Heidi (Ünheimlich Heidelberg to the AKC folks)

Baby Breed: Rottweiler

Baby Age: 7 years, 24 days...and counting!

Diagnosis Date: July 25, 2015

Current Weight: 119 lbs (not fat, just MASSIVE, you should have seen the size of her father), going from 120 in July 2015 rapidly down to 112 following a fluctuation in her regulation, but back up to her current fighting weight.

Diet:
      1. Fed every 12 hours, 1.5 cups of Wegman's Nature dry combined ANYTHING that will get her to eat her kibble (usually boiled chicken breast/ground turkey/scrambled eggs, peas or green beans, small amount of rice). Sometimes we're lucky and she eats her kibble and a little wet food. Night feeding we add a teaspoon of clear fiber.
      (UPDATE: Down to 3/4 cups Wegman's Nature dry, bribery foods remain the same.)
      2. Just requested a Wysong's Epigen sample pack and hoping that she takes to it as it seems to be a decent protein to fat to carb ratio, as the current kibble is just way too high in carbs, in my opinion.
      (UPDATE: 1/3 cup Epigen 90)
      3. Trying FreshPet Vital tonight as a mixer...*fingers crossed*
      (UPDATE: HATED IT!)

Insulin: Novolin N (THANK GOD FOR SAM'S CLUB!!--only $24.88 per vial), 38 units BID

Meter: Have one, but don't use it...she has really thick ears that yield little to NO blood and it's almost impossible to get blood from anywhere else, other than veins. Vet suggested nipping her nail so that it bleeds if we're in a pinch...umm...I live less than 5 minutes from a 24-hour emergency vet clinic, so if she acts abnormally or I think her sugar is off, I just run her over there.

Regulation: Currently regulated, as of her last blood glucose curve (March 17, 2016). YAY!

Misc: Has been getting UTI's like nobody's business since her diagnosis

Note: I want to send the best wishes to everyone out here that understands the daily struggles we and our fur babies face with this disease every day! You are great pet parents and your "little ones" (quotes are required as she weighs as much as I do...lol) definitely know it!

Mara
      (Heidi'sMommy)
      Last edited by Heidi'sMommy; 06-05-2016, 06:38 AM. Reason: Changed insulin type and food.

Comment

Bart the Beagle
        14 years old
        Diagnosed 6 months ago
        Now eating cooked chicken, organic brown rice and broccoli
        Novalin N twice a day 30 gauge 6 units

Comment

Kylie is a 13 year old toy poodle with diabetes and Cushings. She currently receives 6 units of Caninsulin and 7.5 mg of Trilostane each twice a day. We use an Alphatrak. Kylie is fed a homemade custom diet designed for her by a veterinary nutritionist.

Comment

Tucker- mixed beagle type dog
            10 years old
            diabetic about 1 month
            26 pounds down now to 20 pounds
            Vetsulin 7 units Am and PM
            I have no blood sugar meter

This is my first Post. I have been reading all over the site for hours. My biggest problem is that my dog won't eat the diet the vet is suggesting. I have tried 3 different foods. Today I made a rice, chicken and green bean mixture and he was so happy and ate it all. I am looking for a recipe of what ratio of rice to meat with added green beans and how much should I give AM/PM for a 20 pound dog. Also I see some add oatmeal or potatoes.
            A big thank you to any one who can offer some help and support.
            Cindee

Comment

Isabelle-Scottish Terrier 28 pounds, diagnosed 4 weeks ago and still trying to regulate, 7 units Hunulin N 2x per day after eating Royal Canin ultra low fat prescription kibble (I forgot the precise name) mixed with 1 teaspoon low fat prescription caned. We still go to the vet for glucose checks - we are working the courage to test her at home (we'll get there!).
              Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Comment

This was a good information for us! Thank's for this thread.

Comment

Name - Tuesday
                  Breed - Black Lab/Golden Retriever mix
                  Age - 9 years old, Diabetic about 1 year
                  Weight - 65 lbs
                  Insulin - Humulin N... although switching to Walmart's Relion Novolin N - 10 units, 2x day
                  Diet - Vet prescribed Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets DCO Dual Fiber Control... although I'd like some advice about switching to another brand.

First of all, THANK YOU for this forum. Our vet was charging $234 for each 10ml vial of Humulin N and $45 for each 100 pack of needles... let's just say I was a little bit angry after finding out (after a year) that Walmart has Novolin N for $24.88.

They've also been giving us a hard time about a prescription for the Purina food. They're giving us a decent price @ $60 per 32lb bag, but they always have to special order it, which is frustrating when we're running low.

I know this is a debated topic on this board, but I'd like some advice on food. I've been thinking about switching to Merrick's Grain-Free Healthy Weight, which is high protein, low fat, medium carb. Would this be a good food for a diabetic dog? I know you guys say that every dog is different & can do well on different foods, but I'd like to give my dog something that doesn't have corn, corn meal & chicken by-products as the main ingredients.

Thanks for your time.

Jim

Comment

I found most of the posts regarding diet useful. Not sure where to purchase some of the foods, but I'm going to look around. Zaar seems quite tired with his usual Royal Canin and Hills Prescription Diet. I do add shredded chicken, veggies, broth and/or tuna water. Followed someone's suggestion of baby food, but Zaar wasn't impressed.I even add hot dogs or pork sometimes - just to get him interested to eat so I can give insulin. Read here someone wrote about their dogs diet in the last month. I'm wondering if Zaar is telling me something? He's also blind, 15 and 3 months and as a friend says - Zaar is in his own world. I'm a bit sad.

Comment

Originally posted by peony View Post
                      Kirby is a Schnoodle and is 8 1/2 years old. He was diagnosed in Dec of 2015.

He currently weighs 21 pounds. His lowest weight was 17 pounds and highest was 31 pounds.

He eats Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight 2/3 cup twice a day. He gets boiled chicken, frozen green beans and pieces of a rice cake as treats. The vet recommended the rice cakes as he acts like he is starving most of the time. They have one ingredient - whole grain brown rice and are salt free.

He has been getting 5 units of Novolin N twice a day but we're increasing to 6 units twice a day tomorrow (Please wish us luck.)

I use the Alpha Trak 2 glucose meter. I started with the ReliOn meter but I was having a very hard time. The Apha Trak gives me more time and you can insert the strip more than once. There are also two spots to try and get blood on each strip. Even though the ReliOn strips are much cheaper I was throwing many of them away because of failed attempts.
                      I found this post extremely encouraging, specifically the info on Blue Buffalo and the rice cakes. I'm ordering the food now! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lashly View Post
                        I found most of the posts regarding diet useful. Not sure where to purchase some of the foods, but I'm going to look around. Zaar seems quite tired with his usual Royal Canin and Hills Prescription Diet. I do add shredded chicken, veggies, broth and/or tuna water. Followed someone's suggestion of baby food, but Zaar wasn't impressed.I even add hot dogs or pork sometimes - just to get him interested to eat so I can give insulin. Read here someone wrote about their dogs diet in the last month. I'm wondering if Zaar is telling me something? He's also blind, 15 and 3 months and as a friend says - Zaar is in his own world. I'm a bit sad.
                        You can order the food online with sites like Chewy or Wag. Right now, Chewy is offering 20% off your 1st order if you auto-subscribe. Wag has 15% off your 1st order with coupon code WAGSALE or 15% off orders for 3 months for new members with code: 3MONTHS15

Both carry prescription foods, but they will need to contact your vet.

Comment

Vinny T 25 lb JRT 12 years old
                          Cataract new
                          IDDM x 2 years now
                          Lantus insulin twice per day 15 units AM and 20 units PM
                          has 2 meals per day Science diet weight reduction topped with sprinkle of cooked chicken and or fish.
                          Pretty good control as we speak will post curve soon
                          Home testing with Alpha Track meter use Freestyle strips
                          Last edited by Lnard54; 08-03-2016, 07:58 AM. Reason: forgot to add my meter

Comment

Mr Shadow is a good eater iin the p.m. but the breakfast has been quite challlenging! I switch between grilled chicken. D/W chicken & veggies and try to mix a bit of dry dog food (D/W). The baby food only worked 2 days & he refused to eat it.

Seriously looking for a better choice for breakfast.
                            Mr. Shadow 11 year old mix breed, 21 lbs. , diabetes diagnosis Sept. 2015. Currently on 10 units Novolin N

Comment

Butch is a pure bread yellow lab
                              hill science dm high in fiber
                              for treats we use plain rice cakes, if his sugar is low we add a little peanut butter
                              humulin N 23 twice a day
                              butch is now 80 lbs down from 108 1 1/2 years ago when he was diagnoised
                              Last edited by kathye57; 08-10-2016, 09:08 AM. Reason: forgot to add some things

Comment

Hello! I'm new posting but have been reading for a Month. I'm here to learn.

Name, breed: Pippin is a fawn Italian Greyhound
                                Weight: 22 lbs
                                Diet: Chicken, green beans, carrots, pearled barley, brown rice, little Hills I/D
                                Insulin: Humulin N
                                Units per injection: Currently 5.5 units 2x daily
                                Brand of BG meter: AlphaTrak 2
                                Other info: Pippin is blind from PRA and has had hypothyroidism for two years. He was diagnosed with diabetes in June.

Comment

Working...
                                X