Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roxee, 13 1/2 y.o. Shih-Tzu/Lhasa mix on Trilostane

Hi All,
    First I want to thank Natalie for the opportunity to post here and keep track of our cush support family.

Roxee had a bout with the squirts (No offense to Leslie's baby) diahrea yesterday morning and of course I freaked because she is on Trilo, but then her sister Rozee (littermate) also came down with diahrea. Crappy to wish on Rozee, but made me feel better that it wasn't the Trilo. Tried PeptoBismol, pumpkin and Patty cooked up some bland chicken and pasty rice but to no avail. Last night was the squirty poop night from hell.

Won't go into gory details but the washing machine has been going non stop all day and it's not over yet. We took Roxee and Rozee to the vet first thing this morning. Found some nasty bacteria and blood in there stool samples.
    Gave them both a shot of Vitamin B-12 and Bicillin. Follow on by 5 days of Metronidazole liquid and 5 days of Amforal liquid.

Needless to say Roxee did not get her Trilo this morning and probably skip tomorrow if she still doesn't feel good.

We have 4 furbabies in this house and only 2 got the squirts. Thinking it might have been the pumpkin. I in all my wisdom decided to add a little pumpkin to there late night snack and used a spoon that had dog food on it. Patty found this in the pumkin can and told me that's a no-no. Thought she got it all out but maybe the dogfood interacted with the pumkin overnight and caused this nasty bacteria. so why only Rox and Roz. Because the first 2 spoons from the can went into Rox and Roz's dish before Mickee and Littlebit got fed. So it could be the sisters got the contaminated pumpkin and Mick and L'bit got off scott free. I Hope! Can't imagine 4 dogs running around here with the squirts.

John (Roxee's Dad)
    PS -Wanted to thank Leslie and Glynda for helping me with this on the PM option. I was desperate.
    Last edited by Roxee'sDad; 04-16-2009, 12:54 PM. Reason: added ps

Re: Roxee, 13 1/2 y.o. Shih-Tzu/Lhasa mix on Trilostane

Originally posted by Roxee'sDad View Post
    Hi All,
    Last night was the squirty poop night from hell.

Can't imagine 4 dogs running around here with the squirts.
    John (Roxee's Dad)
    Try 3 cats and 1 dog exploding throughout the night.... phewww!...arrrrghhh! Happened to me a few years back so I can definitely sympathize with you, John.

Wise move to discontinue Roxee's Trilo while she's not feeling well. Hope Roxee and Rozee have a rapid recovery and no more "running" around. I remember that Roxee had a UTI, had been in misery and was being treated. That's all done and over with now with no re-visits?

Give all your furkids a scritchie from me!

Louise
    Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Hi John,

So glad Roxee and Rozee got some antibiotics and hope they will be "solid" once again real soon. Just keep Mick and L'Bits out of firing range!

Hugs,
      Leslie and the girls

PS. Ya know, now that you have put this "squirt" business out here in public, I can't promise what my baby's reaction in gonna be....
      "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
      and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Hi Louise,

Wise move to discontinue Roxee's Trilo while she's not feeling well. Hope Roxee and Rozee have a rapid recovery and no more "running" around. I remember that Roxee had a UTI, had been in misery and was being treated. That's all done and over with now with no re-visits?
        UTI seems to be better, she's not trying to run from her own pee anymore. Her twinkie is staying cleaner now. Will keep watching her and may have her checked again at her next stim.

Leslie, Tell Squirt I'm sorry but I couldn't resist.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi John,

Poor things - I hope they recover quickly!

John II

Comment

Hi all,

Well the poop squirts are gone and they both have there apetite back The miracle of modern medicine.

Wanted to mention that Roxee has not had her trilo for 2 days now and I was really expecting the panting to return but she slept soundly thru the night and no panting today or any change for that matter. I thought that to be strange.

They were both bathed and groomed by their favorite groomer (me) and believe it, they needed it. Finally washed the last load of towels and sheets. We should be back to normal.

Will restart the Trilo again tomorow morning.

Once again, no offense to Leslie's baby, hope she can forgive me

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi John,

Well that's good news!

But I don't know if the lack of Cushing's symptoms is also good news, or perhaps a hint that the cortisol could be on the low end of the scale?

Hopefully one of the more experienced members has the answer.

Best wishes,

John II

Comment

John,

Glad they are on the mend! Hopefully your other two will stay healthy!

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Roxee'sDad View Post
                  Hi All,
                  First I want to thank Natalie for the opportunity to post here and keep track of our cush support family.

Roxee had a bout with the squirts (No offense to Leslie's baby) diahrea yesterday morning and of course I freaked because she is on Trilo, but then her sister Rozee (littermate) also came down with diahrea. Crappy to wish on Rozee, but made me feel better that it wasn't the Trilo. Tried PeptoBismol, pumpkin and Patty cooked up some bland chicken and pasty rice but to no avail. Last night was the squirty poop night from hell.

Won't go into gory details but the washing machine has been going non stop all day and it's not over yet. We took Roxee and Rozee to the vet first thing this morning. Found some nasty bacteria and blood in there stool samples.
                  Gave them both a shot of Vitamin B-12 and Bicillin. Follow on by 5 days of Metronidazole liquid and 5 days of Amforal liquid.

Needless to say Roxee did not get her Trilo this morning and probably skip tomorrow if she still doesn't feel good.

We have 4 furbabies in this house and only 2 got the squirts. Thinking it might have been the pumpkin. I in all my wisdom decided to add a little pumpkin to there late night snack and used a spoon that had dog food on it. Patty found this in the pumkin can and told me that's a no-no. Thought she got it all out but maybe the dogfood interacted with the pumkin overnight and caused this nasty bacteria. so why only Rox and Roz. Because the first 2 spoons from the can went into Rox and Roz's dish before Mickee and Littlebit got fed. So it could be the sisters got the contaminated pumpkin and Mick and L'bit got off scott free. I Hope! Can't imagine 4 dogs running around here with the squirts.

John (Roxee's Dad)
                  PS -Wanted to thank Leslie and Glynda for helping me with this on the PM option. I was desperate.
                  "Roxee had a bout with the squirts (No offense to Leslie's baby) diahrea "
                  LOL! I am so juvenile, but I found this highly amusing! (nothing personal Squirt)
                  4 dogs with the Squirts would definitely be a nightmare. I doubt you would be finishing up the laundry so quickly
                  Hope everyone is mending nicely.

Cheryl

Comment

Hi All,
                    Just a quick question:

Has anybody used Denosyl to help liver function? Does anybody have anything good or bad about it.

Note: Roxee is already taking Trilo, Soloxine and Milk Thistle.

Thanks
                    John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi John,

Is Roxeee doing OK?

I've got no helpful information because Angelina and I are trudging along the same path as you and Roxee - but about 20 paces behind!

I just wanted to ask you about the Milk Thistle:
                      1) at what stage during treatment did Roxee start taking it?
                      2) what dose are you giving Roxee?

I'm just thinking it may be something I should start Angelina on.

Best wishes, thought and prayers,
                      From John II and Angelina I

Comment

Originally posted by John II View Post
                        Hi John,

Is Roxeee doing OK?
                        She is doing so much better, She was off the trilo for 2 days and hadn't pooped in 3 days, lost about 1 -1/2 pounds, down to 12 pounds. I swear she is stronger yesterday and today than I have seen her in a lng time.
                        I've got no helpful information because Angelina and I are trudging along the same path as you and Roxee - but about 20 paces behind!
                        What info are you looking for? The twice a day dosing?

I just wanted to ask you about the Milk Thistle:
                        1) at what stage during treatment did Roxee start taking it?
                        Roxee started taking milk Thistle about 3 months ago, it seemed to be a popular treatment amongst many here for liver regeneration and Roxee's liver ALK numbers have always been pretty high.
                        2) what dose are you giving Roxee?
                        1/2 tablet of "Marin" for small dogs. Marin is the brand name and they sell tablets for different size dogs. It contains 105 IU of vitamin E, 24mg of Silybin and 17mg of Zinc.

I'm just thinking it may be something I should start Angelina on.
                        I have to run now, but I got the info from Glynda or Leslie. I'll see if I can find the pdf file and send it to you tonight (My time)

Best wishes, happy & Positive thoughts and prayers to you and Angelina. Hang in there it takes patience and time.
                        John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi John,

Now it's my turn to do the checking-up-on

Is Roxeee doing OK? And how are you doing?

I read, that is to say, I think I read that you were considering changing Roxeee's meds (in another thread) is that the case?

Comment

Hi John,

Don't think I have checked in on you here, sorry it is springtime and my business is very demanding this time of year and of course the issue with cc.net has been absorbing online time for me.

Hoping Roxee is continuing to do well on the Trilo.

Scott

Comment

Hi All,
                              Just an update on my thinking or overthinking process.

Roxee is doing okay. I just have been reading so much and gaining new information from the many experiences here, the questions, the responses and so on. So with all that I am looking at my Roxee girl and just wondering if her meds while helping her symptoms are causing other symptoms to appear. If yes, then I have been contemplating what course of action I may take next.

Weight loss - we are feeding her 4 times a day to maintain her weight and try to increase it a little bit. The diahrea bout brought her down to 12 pounds. Her fighting weight should be around 15 to 16 pounds. Today she is at 13.

Weakness - As some of you know, she was dx'd over 2 years ago and went untreated until the begining of Feb this year. Sept 2008, she was able to walk up and down the ramp leading from the doggy door. She went downhill quickly since then. In Dec, she wasn't able to stand and pee or poop without falling over and by Jan it seems she has lost most of her eyesight. Today she is able to stand while doing her business, is walking better but that is relative to last December. She still has trouble lifting her front paws and the tops of her paws drag the ground as she walks. Her hind end seems to work seperately from her front legs and are stiff as pegs. She still falls over from time to time and can absolutely not walk on hardwood floors, it looks like she is trying to ice skate.

Hair - is growing back. Potbelly is completely gone.

Based on Glynda's experiences with the time it takes to regain enough muscle to walk and get around, I am holding off any decisions to change meds / UTK panel until the July / Aug timeframe unless something drastic happens before then. If we want to do the UTK, I have to think about what will it do to Roxee being off the meds for the 30 day wash out period.

I am just wondering if she has something else going on like maybe a stroke that went undetected, CCD as she often seems lost and or maybe it's just confusing for her since she lost most of her eyesight. She has a hard time just finding the food under her nose and bobs her head up and down until she finds the right height to eat and drink.

Maybe I am just being impatient, just don't know. As you all know, this is such a difficult and confusing experience for both the cush pup and the cush parent. Thanks for letting me voice (text) my thoughts.

Still the bottom line is that she really is better today than she was before we started the meds.

All the Best to you and you pups.
                              John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Working...
                              X