Sweet Lobo... January 31, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy panting and intermittenent cold gums

Lobos mom here , we're having a rough night lobo has started having moments where he is panting heavily and his gums go light and get extremely cold , we tested him for ketones at it was negative , he's eating and drinking and urinating and making bowel moments like normal , his blood sugar was 420 when tested about 4 in the afternoon, he seems to have a hard time getting up . We fed him and have him his 21 units of insulin around 8 in the evening and he regained color and warmth in his mouth , a couple hours later he started panting again , but then stopped breathing and gave 3 sharp breaths afterwards , we lost a member of our family tonight , thank you to all who made an effort to throw precious advice my way . We greatly appreciate it .

Comment

Re: Heavy panting and intermittenent cold gums

Oh no... I'm so very sorry to hear this. Something catastrophic must have happened. I know the only thing worse than losing your dog is losing him suddenly and unexpectedly... Sending you a huge hug and a kiss skyward to Lobo - he was a beautiful and beloved boy.

Natalie

Comment

Thank you Natalie , it's so hard for all of us , I thought we'd be having this day eventually as in a few years , the vet said it possibly could have been internal bleeding , but he didn't last long enough to make it that far , we're sitting here just petting him waiting for him to sneeze or wag his tail , life won't be the same , we dread having to vacuum his fur or remove his water dish , I am located in southern California , Torrance / long beach area , if there is anyone who needs test strips or an alpha real or Royal canin glycobalance / a whole bottle of Humulin n and syringes please get ahold of me or send me an email at esherer23@yahoo.com , we were not expecting this at all and being financially strapped I would love to donate these items to someone in the same situation I'm in , to take the financial burden away at least for a little bit so we can love and care for our fur family .

Comment

Re: Sweet Lobo... January 31, 2016

It does sound like it could have been internal bleeding. Our diabetic dog had cancer and it was internal bleeding that forced us to let him go. I know tumors have a tendency to bleed.

We were... I hesitate to use the word fortunate, but we were, in that we found out he had cancer a couple of weeks before the internal bleeding started. Strictly by accident while checking his heart, which had been bad for some time. If we had not found the cancer when we did, he would have suddenly started bleeding and we would have had no idea why.

It is just so much more shocking and traumatic when it comes out of the blue this way...

I may know someone who could use the supplies. He's a member here, a veteran on a very limited income. I know he would be most grateful for some supplies.

I wish there was something I could do to help... now or later, we would be honored to know all about Lobo and your life together. And just know that we all know this place and how painful it is.

Natalie

Comment

By the way, Chris died in 2008 and we still have two bottles of his insulin in the fridge. Used to be four... I just like having them there.

Comment

I am so sorry. Like Natalie said, the suddenness is heart crushing. I'm glad you were with him. Judi
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Sorry to read about this..prayers going out for you guys.

Comment

definitely sounds like an underlining problem was occurring outside of diabetes and lobos struggles may point to that

you worked hard on the things you could make a difference and you did that . i am sure lobo appreciates all you did for him and is shining down upon you
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

So sorry to read this. Lobo was much loved and very well taken care of, which I'm sure he knows.

You have my deep condolences, and Godspeed to Lobo.

Bill & Sonny

Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Deepest sympathy sent your way. We too lost our Abby relatively the same way. She had cancer, and was bleeding internally. The vet stated that she would have not lasted the night if we had not put her down.

Take care of yourself, but I know that these days are the hardest to get through.

Barb
                      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free sweet Lobo.

Jake
                        13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                        At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Thank you everyone , it's going to be rough , they are our right hands . I never want to vacuum the house again or pick up his water dish .

Comment

I know how you feel. It took me a good while before I picked up all of Otis's stuff, and when I did I felt very sad, ... like it was "that day" all over again.

Guess that's the price we pay for all the years of the close and wonderful relationship we have with our fur babies. The only problem with these loving and loyal beings is they don't live long enough.
                            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

So very sorry for the loss of Lobo. You did everything you could possibly do - Run free, sweet Lobo!
                              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Lobo must have had something else going on besides the diabetes. That's what happens so many time when dogs are difficult to regulate.

I'm sure he is running free at the Bridge, enjoying tons of high carb, high fat treats.

And I understand not wanting to vacuum. For months after I lost Sparky Love, I picked up every single strand of his hair that I could find and saved it in an envelope.
                                Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X