Chokers OMG!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chokers OMG!!!!!

Just a warning on chokers. Sabastian is the dog who eats everything Harley is the lab pitt that Sabastian mostly plays with We have gone through probably 8 collars so I decided to purchase chokers Made sure that they weren't very tight This morning I was sipping my Java trying to wake up You know Pebbles gets her shot,meds and food even before I sip. I heard a a horrible scream Sounded like a dog was being murdered. I ran outside in my nightgown looked at Harley and Sabastion THey were fine. Didn't dawn on me why they were just looking at me not moving. I called them to me They wouldn't come So I went out in the yard(it was dark out then) and realized that Sabastians paw was wrapped in Harleys choker.Harley was almost choking and Sabastian began to scream The choker was so tight on Sabastians paw that i could get it off. It was wrapped I guess it got on his paw and Sabastion twisted it.I made the decision to run back in the house I was screaming to my sleeping husband that the boys were hurt Never seen a man get out of bed so fast. He ran to them and he too couldn't loosen the choker either. At this point Harley was trying to bite Sabastian and Sabastion was screaming even more My husband ran to the garage Thank god this organized man had wire cutters hanging up God knows what would of happened to the boys. I stayed with the dogs My heart was pounding I told them to stay and was trying to calm them down, My husband had to pry his finger under Harleys collar( not very much room there) and thank god he got the chain cut. I am so glad I was home.We made a trip to pets mart and purchased material collars. OMG I never would of thought this could ever happen
    Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Re: Chokers OMG!!!!!

Man, with a dog like Sabastian, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't!!! Either he eats it or chokes someone with it.

I've never dealt with a dog who eats everything... is there anything they can do to help him stop?

Natalie

Comment

Natalie I could wire his flippin mouth shut!!! The big wire cage that would hold a 150 dog is in my diningroom now. Sabastian loves it in there As a matter of fact all of the dogs sleep in there They take turns with the door open. We go out take his new collar off him and he is happy and my house is safe! I thinks he likes it because he can see the other 5 dogs lounging. He has seperation anxiety big time. I also think he is just curious. Last night I took Jasmine( Pebbles sis husky) outside to comb her as she is shedding big time.Put the hair in a bucket and forgot to dump it Sabastian got a hold of the bucket and dumped all of the hair in the backyard then it rained What am mess We literally have to do a check in the yard to make sure that this dog doesn't kill himself or get an obstruction!
      Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

Is there ever a dull moment at your house Marianne?? Yee gads - you need a few more dogs!! I am sitting her picturing your morning...can anyone say MASS CONFUSION for the first 1/2 hour! Dang....I hope your Java was extra strong!! Jody

Comment

You have no idea!!!!My morning starts at 5:30 am Pebbles eats,meds and shot. next door cat gets his milk and food This is before my JavaThen the dogs get their treats.6:30 am rolls along Pebbles gets her walk with my fat "Puma the chihuahua 5 dogs get their biscuits so I can sneek out of the house before they see me walk the 2 dogs Come back get ready for work So I only have around 1/2 hour to my self!!! Thats OK Yesterday was hell. My heart was pounding for sure. Then comes nightime feeding at4:30 PM. Pebbles gets her food in the other room The fat Puma the gets her diet food The other 4 dogs get their chow I am watching that Pebbles doesn't sneek into the other room to eat theirs and watching that Puma doesn't eat the other dogs food as the big dogs allow her to chow with them This takes 1/2 hour Oh yeah the cat outside gets his food and my 2 cats get fed!!! I should of been a friggin vet!!!

Comment

Marianne - I just love your posts and picturing what goes on at your house! You are a saint and your pets are so very lucky! Make sure and tell them that!! Ya right....like they care! Laughing this evening has felt good - lots going on in my life and not much laughing going on here!

Taffy wore a choker for awhile and then NO MORE! She was laying on the deck and her tag got caught between the deck boards and she panicked big time - I was right there and got it undone - but what if I would of been off doing something else - she could of hurt herself! Same with your pups - thank goodness you were close by.

After that experience - I used the choker for our walks - she was a puller and loved being out in front - oh those were the days!! Have a nice relaxing weekend, or at least TRY! Jody

Comment

Originally posted by Jody View Post
              Marianne - I just love your posts and picturing what goes on at your house! You are a saint and your pets are so very lucky! Make sure and tell them that!! Ya right....like they care! Laughing this evening has felt good - lots going on in my life and not much laughing going on here!

Taffy wore a choker for awhile and then NO MORE! She was laying on the deck and her tag got caught between the deck boards and she panicked big time - I was right there and got it undone - but what if I would of been off doing something else - she could of hurt herself! Same with your pups - thank goodness you were close by.

After that experience - I used the choker for our walks - she was a puller and loved being out in front - oh those were the days!! Have a nice relaxing weekend, or at least TRY! Jody
              I apologize for replying to a very old thread, but this choker business is serious. I'd estimate one in one or two thousand dogs gets seriously injured or killed with choker accidents in a year, say, in North America. (Wild guesses, but I hear of accidents like this quite commonly - I read LOT of dog-lists.

Catching tags between boards is quite common. Catching a paw in a collar (doesn't have to be a choker, either!) is also common. Catching a JAW in a collar during mouth-wrestling is ALSO common.

Oh, dear new friends - I hope you can find ways to remove ALL collars, harnesses and the like from dogs when they are securely confined (as I hope they are) to your house and yard.

I put snug body harnesses on Kwali and Kumbi when I leave the yard. My yard is fenced all the way around -not a big area, but it has some variety of trees and brush. As soon as we come in, those harnesses come off and stay off till we go out again.

Dogs can die when a collar takes one twist - with a jaw caught in it. Oh - don't; don't; don't! (a beg.)

Love to all,
              Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:38:45
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

Hi Carol,
                Yes that choker incident was scarey. Never again will I use those, My house is definitely a friggin zoo. I have 2 inside cats(Sabrina and Yoda),a 20 year old neighbors cat· I am feeding out front as they are out of the country,another siamese cat in my backyard that I adopted(Cleopatra) She comes in for a few hours in the evening but wants to go outside at night) Then I have 1 boxer( Kahlua),2 sister huskies( Jasmine and Pebbles),one chihuahua(Puma), one lab pitt(Harley) and one demon dog named Sabastion(airdale nose,shepherd hair and beagle bark) Oh and I forgot a cockatiel that likes to scream when I am not home( Baby Boy) You should see it when I am feeding at 5 pm OMG!!!I do have a system though. I prepare bowls earlier Also in the morning I feed cats and Pebbles besides her shot and meds, I should of been a vet tech. Oh well. If you are wondering they are inside And yes I friggin vacuum and clean everyday as I am a neat freek Got to with the hair!! We need to take of our pets and post!!!

Comment

Marianne - I tremble to watch you at work! I read your entire thread on Pebbles here, and then your entire thread on the Cushings forum also. How you keep your wits about you, I DO NOT KNOW! Then add all these other dogs and cats, and I have to go take a nap! haha!

I'm also slowly reading the other threads - I'm a total dog-nut - almost as much about cats - and since I found you all here about a week ago, and was delighted at the tone and attitude, you are all keeping me very busy! - reading! At least I do put my dogs first, so they get all their needs met. But the quality of love and care I find here is something I know every dog or cat could wish for.

Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:52:04
                  http://www.coherentdog.org/
                  CarolW

Comment

Thanks Carol. I call my home dog and cats heaven!! I forgot bird heaven!!! Yeah by the time I sit down for myself I am exhausted! My thinking with Pebbles is this. When she dies I want to be able to say that I have done 150% to help her live a good quality of life. She is 10 1/2 years old Huskies don't live as long as small dogs do I live day by day with her and enjoy every day like it is her last! We have become really close as I worry and watch her constantly. It is hard to pay attention to all but I make time Pebbles just gets more because she has more illnesses.

Comment

Working...
                    X