Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Blood Glucose Testing, Meters, and Urine Testing

Blood Glucose Testing, Meters, and Urine Testing How to test, where to test, curves, meters that have a good track record with dogs...

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Advocate PetTest meter

Alright, I gave the new meter a test run. I am testing against the alpha trak, I typically use both alpha strips and freestyle. I know free style with code 7 is typically 15-20 points lower with BG below 200, and 30 lower than alpha above 200.

Results from last 2 days of testing.. A=Alphatrak with Alpha strips, AD=Advocates Meter

A-89, AD-33
A-100, AD-Low(no reading)
A-169, AD-77
A-95, AD-Low
A-121, AD-55
A-190, AD-100

The results are all over the map. I tried the control solution and all checked out. I am a bit disappointed, I would not rely on this tester if you have concerns of hypo range. I also found this to require slightly more blood than alpha and freestyle strips, not by much. The unit is bulky, alarm function is a nice add. It feels well built, but at the end of the day it's the accuracy. I have a second vial of strips, but I doubt I will see any change.

By the way, I did a coupe of tests against free style strips as well. As I started to question the alpha strips. Free style came in 20 points lower on avg, and still more accurate. I'll update with more once I have more to report on.
Jude - Rescue // Doxie, Chihuahua, Hound Mix // Born ~4/2009 // Diagnosed at 6 yrs with diabetes // 28lbs, 9.5u Novilin N Morning & Night, 1/4 cup Glycobalance Royal Canin Dry w/ 1/4 Blue Buffalo Canned 2X's daily // Ocu-Glo 1x's Daily // Hypothyroid diagnosed at 7 years, 0.2 mg Levothyroxine 2X's Daily
Old 06-26-2016, 02:53 PM

JayCapz, I'm sorry you didn't get better readings for comparison.

Here is summary of the readings I've taken so far yesterday & today. As a note, I will continue to use AlphaTrak intermittently because I believe it to be more accurate, but the results I've gotten for my dog is close enough for me to warrant use since I test 3 times a day. My Gus is still running pretty high and numbers are all over and that's why I test as frequently as I do.

443 AT / 429 AD Diff = 15
458 AT / 412 AD Diff = 46
288 AT/ 283 AD Diff = 5
372 AT / 334 AD Diff =38
268 AT / 306 AD (first time Alphatrak was lower) Diff =38

I don't think any meter comparison is going to be the same. For me, this is pretty close since my dog runs typically high that I can still be on top of what's going on with him. For my dog, I think the Advocate used less blood - it's definitely easier to get it on the strip than the Alphatrak. But, I agree with you, it's about the accuracy.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 06-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Wow, those readings for Jude are way off... you could talk to the rep about it to make sure there isn't some problem in how it's set up and they might send you a second one if they feel that one is faulty.

Natalie
Old 06-26-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofias mama View Post
I ordered through AdvocateMeters.com using promo code FETCH16 and received the ADVOCATE PetTest Meter Kit for under $7, the cost of shipping. It came with the meter, 25 test strips, 10 single use safety lancets, 10 regular lancets, the control solution, and a lancing device.
Wow, that beats my $9.95 deal. I see that it's only $6.49 total and comes more strips.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 06-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofGus View Post
Wow, that beats my $9.95 deal. I see that it's only $6.49 total and comes more strips.
I payed full price on Amazon, and still don't have mine

Craig
Old 06-27-2016, 08:31 AM

Thank you Momof Gus for your response. Like you, I also test Mr Shadow on his front paw dual claw, the one on the right side gives me less trouble because he gets nervous and has developed a lick granuloma, the right paw is very sensitive now. I will try to do what you say and hope my numbers are close with both meters...yesterday I started panicking when his morning reading was 306 and the afternoon was 87! So I reduced his insulin from 8.5 to 8 since he ate well.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Wow, those readings for Jude are way off... you could talk to the rep about it to make sure there isn't some problem in how it's set up and they might send you a second one if they feel that one is faulty.

Natalie

I triple read those directions, I know I have the settings all correct. Read the booklet very thoroughly. I am going to suspect the unit itself is faulty at this point, unless this unit/strips perform better in high BG range? Jude is running 300+ points lower than gus, only correlation that I see. I contacted their chat support, they are calling me tonight to troubleshoot. I still have to test with the second vile I purchased, so hopefully this is a fluke.

I hate to get too crazy, but before I give up completely. I may break out my onetouch unit, do a test against alphatrak, onetouch and pet test. Even if my alpha was off, with a range of 33-50 Jude would be in bad shape. At the time that low reading was taken, he was playing with one of his rope toys.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Jude - Rescue // Doxie, Chihuahua, Hound Mix // Born ~4/2009 // Diagnosed at 6 yrs with diabetes // 28lbs, 9.5u Novilin N Morning & Night, 1/4 cup Glycobalance Royal Canin Dry w/ 1/4 Blue Buffalo Canned 2X's daily // Ocu-Glo 1x's Daily // Hypothyroid diagnosed at 7 years, 0.2 mg Levothyroxine 2X's Daily
Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 AM

I just googled the deal and it came up on www.pettestdiabetes.com with a video and the FETCH16. I also notices a place where they can contact ADVOCATE: info@pharmasupply.com Maybe you should email them to see if they can help. Can't hurt! (or they may try and sell you something else!)
Old 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM

I did 3 comparisons today and the results are pretty much the same and not a whole lot of difference. I have a new full bottle of strips on the way and will start to use the Advocate for most of my testing to save money unless I have an issue where I'm not comfortable with the level of readings, now that I feel I have a pretty good idea of how close this is running for my pup. I will save my AlphaTrak strips/meter for when I have a problem or to spot check.

478 AT 452 AD Diff = 26
388 AT 379 AD Diff = 9
359 AT 376 AD Diff = 17 (AD higher this time, same time of day as the other comparison when it was higher)

JayCapz, did you use the same blood droplet for your comparison tests? If you didn't, that might make a difference.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Annie was so excited today, her new meter arrived!

Just did one blood test comparison between the AlphaTrak-2 and Advocate, and a test with both meters using the control solution that came with the Advocate (imitation blood?).

Real Annie blood, 4:00pm
AlphaTrak-2 = 123
Advocate. = 129

Second Annie test, 6:30pm
AlphaTrak-2 = 166
Advocate. = 157

Third Annie test, 6:30am
AlphaTrak-2 = 291
Advocate = 309

Advocate Control solution
AlphaTrak-2 = 77
Advocate = 86

Guess I now need to give Annie a big snack to get her blood glucose into the 300s and see if the two meters remain close to each other at higher numbers.

Craig