Commercial dog foods for Diabetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New owner with question about one time feeding

I should have clarified, I was suggesting no carby treats right now in the early stage, until you see how the curves look with just food and insulin. As you get a perspective on sugar patterns, a carby treat might be a good thing.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thanks again for your feedback, ive managed to find some diabetic cookie/treats to replace the bad stuff my dog was eating in the past.

After 5 days of being diagnosed with diabetes, I have been taking readings every 6 hours after giving insulin but haven't performed a full curve. His overall range is about 150-280 in daytime and 200-309 at night, again these are at time =0, 6 hours and 12 hours. So far 10 units in the morning with two dried chicken treats 100 calories and 25 units at night with a full meal or roughly 1000 calories. My dog beary is 25lb overweight, currently at 87lb, so hoping we can shed off some weight and bring the insulin down.

I suppose a dogs system adapts to insulin during the first week or so, so curious when a curve should be done?

Also ive noticed both of you have exclusive diets for your dogs, do you never deviate at all from the diets as naturally dogs like different things from time to time and it can hit a soft spot with an owner. I was hoping to replace his canned wet food with an occasional cooked chicken meat but realize this will need different insulin dosing? Is it ok to use two different dosings if food is deviated on a giving night?

Thanks again.

Comment

Consistency is usually best. Once you find the right combo of food and insulin, any change will probably throw things off. A different meal can have a different level of carbs/protein/fiber, so the body reacts differently, and you risk a low sugar. And you don't want to guess an insulin dose for that different meal, for the same reason.

Most, if not all, people stick with one food once they find what works. It takes enough time as it is to regulate a dog with one food, throwing something different into the mix will not make it easier, and it may produce numbers that make you conclude the wrong thing, as you assess sugar patterns.

The sugar numbers you indicate right now are pretty decent already. That's a bit odd and could indicate that the body is still making some of its own insulin right now, which can happen.

Maybe take readings at other times to see any low points.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

As raysaint suggested consistency is important but after doing this for over 10 years now jesse snacks a bit here and there .Her meals evolved over time to what she eats now . The only thing that changes is between dark and light meat of chicken which doesnt seem to affect the numbers

Curves are usually done once a week . Once regulated you can do them if spot checking sees a change or physical symptoms appear .

Now the numbers you posted are not complete curves but they give allot of promise as they are in a really good range for being so new to this . Many would be happy to have them for regulation . If a curve shows the numbers you posted in the same range you may want to hold at that dose and let it settle a bit longer as its possible you could see some downward pressure as like you said it takes time for a dog to adapted to the new reality of injected insulin

As your dog looses weight he may need less insulin so something to keep an eye on also

Congrats on a job well done . As time goes on you may have a bit more flexibility . I am not as stringent as I use to be and as jesse has gotten older she protests a bit on testing which she never did before . So I have reduced her testing and I am ok with that because I am very in tuned with how she is feeling . Jesse has done really well on one meal . She would gladly eat 2 but the one meal was the only way to get her to regulation at the time
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Commercial dog foods for Diabetic

I wanted to switch over to something more appropriate for my diabetic husky. Currently I have him on Blue Buffalo Senior grain free dry, however this food has a terrible carb percentage of around 53%. Im also trying to get my dog to lose about 20lbs, with the summer heat im not able to walk him as much. He is reasonably well regulated between 140-250 bg levels using Novolin 70-30.

I was curious if there are any recommendations and what I should be looking for ingredient wise? Im under the impression low carbs, high fiber and high protein however this seems to be a tough combo. Currently im looking at Wellness core reduced fat, Ketona, and Orijen.

Thanks for the help Kal.

Comment

Re: Commercial dog foods for Diabetic

Actually foods with carbs and sometimes an abundance of them work well with injected insulin as dogs seem to metabolize insulin faster so the need for a quick boost of sugar early is helpful from the carbs . That is why the carb laden prescription foods work well for canine diabetes

Why would you want to change foods if your dog is regulated ? Now remember if you do go to a diet with less carbs the need for the fast acting part in your 70/30 may not be needed or needs to be reduced as that fast acting doesnt have the carbs to work with the strength of that fast acting insulin .
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Thanks, so my biggest reason for switching is due to weight primarily. My dog is at 85lb and he needs to be at 65lb. I have him at 1350 calories a day but my vet asked me to go down to 900. My dog consumes his food readily and still asks for something when he is done, so I was thinking of something with less fat and carbs and higher fiber to possibly compensate. I noticed the low fat dry food is usually about 75 calories less per cup.

Your right that he is doing pretty good bg wise and there is a risk but im willing to redo the curves.

Comment

Very understandable

I actually chose to give up some stability on regulation for a better diet for her to eat which was homemade . The regulation is still adequate and the benefits of the healthy diet I think was beneficial

Its all about balance

Comment

Be careful with high protein, as it can be hard on the kidneys. And as others have mentioned, carbs are necessary. You could slightly decrease the carb percentage, but I wouldn't go low carbs.
                    Carbs are the body's fuel. Just choose good carbs.
                    And be conscious of the fat content.

Comment

1350 cal is alittle over 4 cups.
                      if you slowly reduced his calories without reducing insulin you could maintain regulation

3.5 cups is 1207 cal. this is still in the recommend mfg food guide
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Working...
                      X