This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulin storage...

I was concerned that maybe Lucy's insulin was getting too cold.

I came upon this. What do you think?
    http://www.diabetes.org/for-parents-...re/storage.jsp

Rick

Re: Insulin storage...

It depends where in the fridge you're keeping it. I kept ours stored standing up in the carton in the butter dish area--have heard that's where a lot of other people keep theirs also.

Having it in the door section makes sure that it's not near any of the coils, etc., that get cold to make the fridge operate.

Kathy

Comment

I also read last night that Humalin N does not have to be refrigerated after opening as long as it is kept under 86 degrees. Which our house is rarely above 76 in summer and 64 in the winter.

Comment

A lot of people with diabetes don't keep it in the fridge. No problem with that but if you want the vial to keep potency longer, it should be in the fridge.

If you don't keep it in the fridge, it has about a 30 day life to it.

Kathy

Comment

I read that a sign that insulin is too cold is clumps. I have seen no clumps & the milky stuff always mixes right up.

I also keep it in the butter area in the door. We have a bottom freezer & cold air blows out the top. Cold enough to freeze yogurt when we put it in the right place.

Rick

Comment

No matter what insulin we were using, that's where and how it was kept. We used the old Lilly pork Lente at a slower rate of speed because it was U 100 vs U 40 insulin. I could keep a vial of that old Lilly insulin potent for close to 3 months--finally needing to toss it because it was starting to run out of "steam" at that point with about 1/3-1/4 of the vial left. We were always able to use Caninsulin/Vetsulin to the last drop--that kept for about 6 weeks, when it ran out.

Kathy

Comment

Do you think it might be useful to note when I change insulin vials? That might give me an idea if I start seeing a change I can't explain.

Rick

Comment

I always made a note of changing vials--matter of fact, I'd write the start date on the front of the carton when I took the first draw from it. There were times when that information came in handy.

What you may see, though it's nothing to get concerned about, is that Lucy's numbers may be slightly lower than expected after you start a new vial. This is because the insulin's brand new; we would see this with Lucky. It was never anything low enough to make us concerned, but knowing that the bit lower than usual numbers were due to the vial being newly-opened was it. Know that some people can see this and then when the numbers get slightly higher, think there's something the matter when it's not.

The other side of this is that it can help you determine if you have a bad vial of insulin. We had brand new vials of the old Lilly insulin and after we tested a draw from the opened one, found that the insulin left their plant at about 45-40% potency. It hadn't gone bad from heat or cold, it was sent weak from there.

When Lucky pulled some unexpected high numbers, we then knew something was the matter with the insulin and not with him.

Being able to tell John that we'd just started a vial or, in the case of the old Lilly insulin, that it had been around and open for X length of time or brand new, was a big help for us if we hit a "bump". The times we hit one, it was the insulin or a heartworm med as the cause, not something wrong with Lucky.

Kathy

Comment

I'm going to start noting that. Lucy had a small dip for three days after her curve on 1/31 & I just can't remember when I changed vials. Pretty certain it wasn't 10 days ago because the vial she's on now is almost empty.

My mind doesn't store date/time information very well...

Rick

Comment

When you write the starting date on the front of the carton, it "reminds" you how long it's been around twice a day when you use it.

Also, if you're trying to pinpoint something and you think it might have to do with the start date of the insulin, all you need to do is go take a look in the fridge and you have the exact date you took the first draw from the vial--no guesswork

Kathy

Comment

Working...
                    X