Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Daisy's Story

My guess is the bee sting very well could affect BG. She was in pain. Pain produces cortisol, which definitely affects BG levels. Do you check BG levels throughout the day - maybe every 3 or 4 hours? Just two fasting numbers makes it hard to tell what her body is doing throughout the day. I would do a full curve in a few days once she is off the meds. Again, just my opinion. It's more important to know the whole picture, than just a piece of it.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016
Old 08-05-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I would do a full curve in a few days once she is off the meds.
I haven't been checking her midday but I did do a partial curve on 7/20 when I was off because her levels were going higher the week before and I had a feeling she was brewing with a UTI. She started to feel hot, like she was running a fever.

7/20
7a 379
830a 512
1030a 443
2p 174
6p 160

Monday morning will be her last dose so I won't be able to do a full curve until Saturday due to work.

When I took her in for her shots in April she was regulated and the vet said "For now, remember, she's a schnauzer." I guess they are hard to get regulated.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Hi,
I just saw that your little one is on Clavamox. We did a 14 day course of Clavamox earlier this year and Dasani's BG bounced around quite a bit and was higher than normal. As soon as we finished the Clavamox, his BG settled and we had stayed on the same insulin dose that he had been regulated on, the entire time.

I bet you'll find that once finished with the Clavamox, the BG will drop.
Dasani, Miniature Schnauzer 13 yrs old - Diagnosed Diabetic 3/21/15 - 22 pounds - 9 units Vetsulin 2X a day - Feed a mix of W/D and Solid Gold Wee Bit. Fish oil pearl supplement twice a day to help with high triglycerides.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:50 AM

from what I.he seen here in the forum over the years DX snauzers r hard to regulate

but you and your Daisy r soooo close to regulation. its the food and amount u lucked in.

Monday the antibiotics r finished u say give it till next Monday another week to do a curve u.ll c a big difference. takes a bit to get back on track after the infection so bees and frogs .

your doing great your Daisy is lucky to have u take care of her.
if she still licks wrap that paw for a week.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:49 AM

Thanks all. I get a little anxious when I see those numbers jump. I'll do a curve on her Saturday and hopefully she'll settle back in to some lower numbers.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:45 AM

I'm taking Daisy to the vet. Last night her numbers read "Hi" on the meter. I gave her 1/4 unit of R and 4.6 N and checked her every hour for 5 hours. She came down to 204. This morning she read "Hi" again. She's eating fine, drinking lots of water again but something is not right.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM

I sprung Daisy loose from the pet hospital. No ketones, no crystals, no urinary tract infection.

Negative for Cushing's, thyroid wnl.

The only thing the vet said was- it could be her homemade dog food as each batch is different and advised to put her on regular dog food and start from square one with re regulating her. So that's what I'll do. I did buy some RC Glycobalance. I wanted to get a small bag to see how it went, but they only had the big bag.

We'll see how this goes........
Old 08-11-2017, 02:43 PM

Sounds like a good plan. Hope she likes the new diet. Are you going back to a starting dose of insulin?
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Yes, we're back to 3 units. I usually feed her and give her injection at 6:30, but because she's been so high I checked her and fed her at 6. She was 688 and ate all of her new food. I did put some water in it to make a nice gravy. The vet told me to only use the R when she's over 600, so I used .25R and 2.75N. I'll check her in an hour and see where we're at. She responded very nicely to the R last night and this morning. It didn't take much.

One thing she also said was that you don't have to wait 5 days, they should regulate with their new dose in 3 days. Don't know if that's a new endo thing or not.

She also told me to go up 1 full unit to regulate, but I missed her dose doing that last time so I'l go up a little more gradually.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydog10 View Post

She also told me to go up 1 full unit to regulate, but I missed her dose doing that last time so I'l go up a little more gradually.
i think you are smart raising her dosage more gradually. You might read on the forum that folks adjust their dosage by a full unit, but that is generally for a larger dog. As an example, going from 3 to 4 units is a pretty big 33% increase.

Craig