Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Roxee, 13 1/2 y.o. Shih-Tzu/Lhasa mix on Trilostane

Hi John,

Is Roxeee doing OK?

I've got no helpful information because Angelina and I are trudging along the same path as you and Roxee - but about 20 paces behind!

I just wanted to ask you about the Milk Thistle:
1) at what stage during treatment did Roxee start taking it?
2) what dose are you giving Roxee?

I'm just thinking it may be something I should start Angelina on.

Best wishes, thought and prayers,
From John II and Angelina I
Old 04-21-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John II View Post
Hi John,

Is Roxeee doing OK?
She is doing so much better, She was off the trilo for 2 days and hadn't pooped in 3 days, lost about 1 -1/2 pounds, down to 12 pounds. I swear she is stronger yesterday and today than I have seen her in a lng time.
I've got no helpful information because Angelina and I are trudging along the same path as you and Roxee - but about 20 paces behind!
What info are you looking for? The twice a day dosing?

I just wanted to ask you about the Milk Thistle:
1) at what stage during treatment did Roxee start taking it?
Roxee started taking milk Thistle about 3 months ago, it seemed to be a popular treatment amongst many here for liver regeneration and Roxee's liver ALK numbers have always been pretty high.
2) what dose are you giving Roxee?
1/2 tablet of "Marin" for small dogs. Marin is the brand name and they sell tablets for different size dogs. It contains 105 IU of vitamin E, 24mg of Silybin and 17mg of Zinc.

I'm just thinking it may be something I should start Angelina on.
I have to run now, but I got the info from Glynda or Leslie. I'll see if I can find the pdf file and send it to you tonight (My time)

Best wishes, happy & Positive thoughts and prayers to you and Angelina. Hang in there it takes patience and time.
John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Hi John,

Now it's my turn to do the checking-up-on

Is Roxeee doing OK? And how are you doing?

I read, that is to say, I think I read that you were considering changing Roxeee's meds (in another thread) is that the case?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 AM
Interim CC

Hi John,

Don't think I have checked in on you here, sorry it is springtime and my business is very demanding this time of year and of course the issue with cc.net has been absorbing online time for me.

Hoping Roxee is continuing to do well on the Trilo.

Scott
Old 04-27-2009, 07:54 PM

Hi All,
Just an update on my thinking or overthinking process.

Roxee is doing okay. I just have been reading so much and gaining new information from the many experiences here, the questions, the responses and so on. So with all that I am looking at my Roxee girl and just wondering if her meds while helping her symptoms are causing other symptoms to appear. If yes, then I have been contemplating what course of action I may take next.

Weight loss - we are feeding her 4 times a day to maintain her weight and try to increase it a little bit. The diahrea bout brought her down to 12 pounds. Her fighting weight should be around 15 to 16 pounds. Today she is at 13.

Weakness - As some of you know, she was dx'd over 2 years ago and went untreated until the begining of Feb this year. Sept 2008, she was able to walk up and down the ramp leading from the doggy door. She went downhill quickly since then. In Dec, she wasn't able to stand and pee or poop without falling over and by Jan it seems she has lost most of her eyesight. Today she is able to stand while doing her business, is walking better but that is relative to last December. She still has trouble lifting her front paws and the tops of her paws drag the ground as she walks. Her hind end seems to work seperately from her front legs and are stiff as pegs. She still falls over from time to time and can absolutely not walk on hardwood floors, it looks like she is trying to ice skate.

Hair - is growing back. Potbelly is completely gone.

Based on Glynda's experiences with the time it takes to regain enough muscle to walk and get around, I am holding off any decisions to change meds / UTK panel until the July / Aug timeframe unless something drastic happens before then. If we want to do the UTK, I have to think about what will it do to Roxee being off the meds for the 30 day wash out period.

I am just wondering if she has something else going on like maybe a stroke that went undetected, CCD as she often seems lost and or maybe it's just confusing for her since she lost most of her eyesight. She has a hard time just finding the food under her nose and bobs her head up and down until she finds the right height to eat and drink.

Maybe I am just being impatient, just don't know. As you all know, this is such a difficult and confusing experience for both the cush pup and the cush parent. Thanks for letting me voice (text) my thoughts.

Still the bottom line is that she really is better today than she was before we started the meds.

All the Best to you and you pups.
John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 PM

John,

I, for one, am glad you shared your thoughts about Roxee.

Quote:
As you all know, this is such a difficult and confusing experience for both the cush pup and the cush parent.
I certainly agree with you here!! I personally don't think you're being too impatient, just a concerned parent. Roxee has had a number of things going on and all any of us want is to see our babies feeling well.

I definitely relate to your concerns and thoughts when it comes to the possibility of some unknown ??? going on. That's how I feel about Munchie, my all to frequently misdiagnosed mystery dog. He's managed to keep all his hair...it's my hair that's falling out at this point!

I'm glad that your Roxee is better today than she was before you started the meds and hope she continues to improve.

Louise
Old 04-29-2009, 06:18 AM

Hi, John, I certainly understand your frustration.I have been very uncertain since I started Nikki's treatment in November. Other than symptoms going away, she seems to feel worse since she's been on lysodren. She seems to have a hard time walking, so mostly sleeps. When she is up she feels pretty good, but that's not often. She is just now recovering from the stress of us leaving her for 6 days.When I had her stimmed right before leaving her post number was 8.7.When we got back she was so weak. I gave her a pred and she perked up, even though I know her number is now alot higher. She still isn't starving and doesn't finish her dinner. I need to have her stimmed but know my vet wants to get her number to 5, which I know will make her feel terrible.I wonder if this may be because when we started her post number was a high 50. My goal was always to have her as comfortable as possible, and when she's where she is supposed to be with cortisol level, she is not comfortable.This is just so hard! It always helps to have company in this battle for answers. Sharon
Old 04-29-2009, 12:08 PM

Hi All,

And then you have days like today.... Roxee woke up a little earlier this morning. Gave me the little yipes and moans to let me know she was up and needed to go outside. (Roxee and Rozee have always slept in bed with us) Took her out and she was trucking around so much stronger than the last couple of days. No falling over today and just all around a stronger day.

Be nice if I could find some consistency in her strong and weak days.

John II
Quote:
I read, that is to say, I think I read that you were considering changing Roxeee's meds (in another thread) is that the case?
Just thinking outloud - Check my earlier post, it is on my mind but too early, need to give it a chance. Once a day, twice a day???? If I could see a difference between am and pm, I would consider twice a day but with Roxee it more like a few good days then a few not so good days.

Louise -I so am Looking forward to making this Friday night a margarita night.

Sharron- yes it is difficult, if it was easy, we wouldn't be here. Wouldn't it have been nice if we all here became friends due to just our love for our healthy pups and not because of cushings. BTW - From the many threads I have read, some cushparents find there pups do better on cortisol a little higher than the preferred range. How many times have I read that "My cush pup hasn't read the manual on cushings"

BTW - For those of you that know LittleBit, She was spayed yesterday and of course when I picked her up I felt terrible. Poor little girl was just out of it, drooling and whimpering. Gave me that look like "what did you do to me?" I felt so bad I feel like I betrayed her trust in me.

All the best to you and your pups.
John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 04-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Hi John,

Crys was spayed a few weeks back and I got the same look. She was back on her feet in no time, but I still felt like a heel, especially when she couldn't eat that morning! I never want her to face the fear of no food ever again. Crys got extra, extra lovings that nite and for the next few days, but the surgery didn't slow her down a bit except for that first nite. She was back in full out form the next day!

It's good to hear that Roxee is doing good today. I guess we just have to be happy for the good days and remember them on the bad ones. Easier said than done for a cush parent!

You're such a good dad, John, and Roxee, Rozee, Lil'Bits and Mic are all lucky to have you, and Patty, on their side. You have done an amazing job to learn as much as you have in the short time you've been around. Keep up the good work!

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls
Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Smile Re: Roxee, 13 1/2 y.o. Shih-Tzu/Lhasa mix on Trilostane

Just checking on you.

You have such a wonderful heart!!!!. A good day is something EXTRAORDINARY for a cush parent and a cush pup. We will cross our paws for more good days to come for sweet Roxee.

LittleBit will be up and running in a flash. Just one of those sleep overs on mom's and dad bed, and everything will be forgotten.

Please have a wonderful weekend, with or without margaritas.

Marcela & The Choco Labs