Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Introducing Luna

About 15 months ago she had all the Cushing's tests: urinalysis (UC:CR), ACTH, ultrasound. She had no real symptoms, but her liver levels were very high. UC:CR did not rule out Cushings.

She is scheduled for a ACTH on Tuesday. Vet says she thinks it's Cushings because she is insulin resistant. I thought after 3 weeks it was too premature to say she was resistant, but Vet said her gut says Cushings and we need to test.

Our second vet who diagnosed liver disease, honestly told us she was uncomfortable treating dogs for Cushings. She said we should go back to the Vet College if tests were positive for Cushings.

I get the same feeling from Vet 3. She keeps telling me if it is Cushings, treatment may kill her and we might have to make the decision to put her down.

My dog acts fine. It is upsetting to me that we are discussing this when she doesn't have any symptoms that affect her day. Happy, good appetite, good energy...I'm just confused and frustrated.

Last edited by Halloweenqueen; 03-30-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Does she have any physical signs at all? I don’t trust the advice and the fact they don’t do curves. I would run from this vet. Curves are vital.

It is very premature to say Cushings with no curve and most vets treat diabetes first. It is very possible that diabetes is causing the liver values to be high, and they may come down if you can get the diabetes under control. There are many false positives for Cushings when diabetes is out of control.

The diet may require a larger dose of insulin. Is it a carb heavy diet? I have no info on hepatic diets.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:01 AM

Yes, very carb heavy:

Brewers Rice, Brown Rice, Corn, Chicken Fat, Soy Protein Isolate, Natural Flavors, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Vegetable Oil, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil, DL-Methionine, Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Salt, L-Lysine, Trace Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Marigold Extract (Tagetes erecta l.), L-Carnitine, Vitamins [DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (source of Vitamin E), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement], Rosemary Extract, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid.

That's why I always questioned the food. I have a prescription that I pick up from PetSmart. Even the desk said that usually this is a temporary food for dogs, yet she has been on it for 15 months now.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:54 PM

Even with those carbs, 11 units still seems high.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 AM

Going back on Tuesday. Vet appt. hours for the today and Monday for emergencies at double the rate.

I'm watching her like a hawk with this high dose.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:29 AM

can you tell us how much food your feeding twice a day????

for a 22 lb dog 1 3\4 cup a day divide this by 2
Old 04-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Frankly almost double that. She gets a rounded cup at breakfast and dinner.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:46 AM

that's a lot of food. one cup twice a day . this could be the reason for more insulin needed

my dog ate 1\2 cup twice a day. he was 22 lbs. he took 5 units twice a day

every time I tried to up his food to even 3\4 cup I needed to raise his insulin.

every dog is different .

I would urge you to start home testing before making any changes get at least one 12 hour curve done at home. we can help you get started.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:17 PM

Prescription diets are usually larger portions.

What are the liver values? When were they last checked? I would like to see what a low fat diet would do.

Are there any alternatives vet wise? I know it is hard to change but I think you have to advocate for Luna. I had a vet I liked in the beginning and for basic stuff she was fine but I realized almost too late, diabetic problems were over her head and she just lacked the knowledge for a challenging diabetic. You might ask around and see if you can find someone a little better versed in diabetes. Look for an IMS - they do have advanced training in internal medicine so there’s that.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:20 PM

Also, Maggie was on a liver Pill until her values came down. I will try to look it up and see what it was. Is Luna on any meds/supplements for liver function?