Sweet Zoe has departed February 18, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Zoe

Can't resist commenting on New Orleans. If your A/C is out, all you have to do is drive to one of the DRIVE-THRU DAIQUIRI stores to cool off!
    http://www.travelchannel.com/video/d...aiquiris-15796

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Yes, thank you Craig. The drive thru daiquiri shop is just down the street. (that's the truth).
      Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Our weather here in Arkansas is so similar to Louisiana - hot and sticky but no drive thru daiquiris So jealous about that.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Now all your talk of heat and summery weather is just making me jealous (let alone the concept of drive-thru daiquiri shops!). We've had one warm day and now they are promising us rain for the next week or so...

I was just looking back to see who had been discussing itchy dogs recently and realised it was Cebe and Amy so I hope you don't mind me interrupting and asking if either of you has come across a spray called Cortavance?

It is a hydrocortisone spray which the vet has given me to try on Eddie's itchy feet. It seems to be quite new so not much about it on the internet. I can't see that it will affect his BG since it seems to be absorbed only in the skin but I just wondered if you had any experience of it?

Thanks
          Antonia
          PS I went to New Orleans years ago and thought it was fantastic!
          Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Never heard of Cortavance. The vet suggested a sort of medicated lotion that they sell which you are supposed to apply after bathing the dog. It's $54, which is a lot, but I suppose that's relative to how much use you get out of it. I will ask my vet about the cortavance, too.

I got Zoe some different flea meds, as I know for a FACT that my younger kitten has fleas. I found one the other day, and another one a few weeks ago. Zoe is scratching her head a lot, and the area right under her nose, which i think means fleas. I treated her with Frontline, but it didn't seem to work. So, I've ordered some Advantage - for everyone. I'm hoping that knocks out Fleas as a source of her itching. Then I can focus on food and grass allergies.

Eddie, where are you that you have cool weather in June?
            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

We're in Herefordshire in England where heat is not very often a problem for us (apart from the lack of it in summer when we all moan about the weather!).

I don't think Eddie's itchiness is fleas as I have twice recently treated them all and sprayed all around inside and in their beds etc with Indorex. They keep finding hedgehogs which are full of fleas so I am a bit paranoid about treating them after one of those encounters.

I am trying giving him fish oil in case that helps. It makes his coat lovely and shiny but I don't think it has affected his itchiness.

The vet also gave us some Malaseb to bathe his feet. I thought I'd try the spray first and see how that goes.
              Antonia
              Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

I have never used or heard of cortavance ? What are the active ingredients?

Lately, I have been using the Zymox brand of shampoo and I am very impressed. I think Maggie is doing much better on it than any of the prescription ones. Also, Zymox HC spray will heal up her skin quicker than anything I have seen. I need to figure out how to post a picture of the horrible damage she did to her neck last week by obsessive scratching. It made me cry - it looked like she was in a slasher movie.
                Edit- I uploaded a picture of her neck to my photo album.
                Last edited by amydunn19; 06-21-2013, 06:07 AM.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

That neck looks very sore - poor thing! It's horrible when they hurt themselves with all the scratching.

Cortavance seems to be just hydrocortisone aceponate. I've found some positive references to it on Australian dog forums so I wonder if it has been available there for longer than here or the US.

We'll give it a go and let you know how we get on.
                  Antonia

Comment

Ah, England! Yes, I shivered a little when I visited for a summer in 1993. But I mostly drank away my concerns about the temperature with Scrumpy cider and Guinness.

Amy, where do you get Zymox?

Comment

You can get it directly from Zymox.com, Dr Foster and Smith, Amazon, 1800 Pet Meds...lots of places. It was formerly only available from the vet clinics. I have friends who have used the ear products on their schnauzers for years - they have always said it was miraculous. I didn't even realize they had shampoo until recently.

The spray cleared Maggies neck up within a couple of days and it looked better the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                        Can't resist commenting on New Orleans. If your A/C is out, all you have to do is drive to one of the DRIVE-THRU DAIQUIRI stores to cool off!
                        http://www.travelchannel.com/video/d...aiquiris-15796

Craig
                        Oh man... I want one of those! I've been thinking about setting up a home delivery margarita business.

Comment

Sorry I've been so absent recently. Very busy, and that means, I have a neglected dog, who, I'm sad to say, is now pretty darn blind. It came on her rather suddenly, over a 2 week or month period - almost immediately after she was seen by the vet, who said she had tiny cataracts. Following that visit, her sight has declined and I would say she's about 80% blind right now. She can't catch the ball or see it when it's thrown to her, though she does get it when it gets close She is stumbling and bumping into things, and she raises her ears a lot now.

I feel really sorry for her and very guilty about this, as I have been so busy that I have not really sat down and dug into her care. She's still itching and having a hard time with allergies. In truth, I think it's a flea problem. I treated all of them with Advantage last month, but they are still itching and I need to treat them again, then spray the house thoroughly. That's frustrating.

I haven't tested her in a while, but after raising to 15 units, I felt like her blood sugar looked really good. Ironically, she started going blind right after I felt like I'd reached a good regulation. Sucks.

Anyway, just wanted to give a quick update. I'm still swamped, so I might duck in and out. I hope everyone is well and that the furbabies are doing well too.

Comment

Please don't feel guilty! What you describe is very common for the development of cataracts and often even perfect blood sugar will not prevent them from proceeding to complete cataracts. Once the process gets started, it often can't be stopped.

It tends to take a few weeks to a month for them to get used to navigating. Most dogs adjust really well thanks to their noses.

Maybe she would like to track down a scented toy or ball? I took a nosework class and Jack (who can see) enjoys hunting for treats hidden in closets, under beds, etc.

Hope you can get some relaxation time soon! I am having the same problem and it is keeping me from doing anything fun, including posting here much.

Natalie

Comment

Awe, I'm sorry that Zoe is losing her vision. It does seem that those with sudden loss or those who don't have a canine buddy to guide them do take a bit longer to adjust. Being lab and shepherd though, I bet she is easy to train. Sounds like she is already relying on her hearing a bit more. Sending lots of positive encouragement for you and her. Always hard on the humans...
                              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I felt the same way Cebe. When I first adopted Ruby, on top of everything else she was drinking and peeing more. I knew I was burying my head in the sand, but I was scared that if I found out she was diabetic I might have to let her go. Remember this was a dog that my husband didn't want me to adopt with EPI, much less puking on his head at night and racking up diabetic costs. Ridiculous in hindsight since we jumped through so many hoops and the very real finical drain was a slow drip instead of the gushing I feared, but it was a gradual process.

So we stumbled along trying this and that and sometimes it would seem that when I had made an adjustment to help with the regurge (before I knew it was Megae) that it would help the peeing/drinking, but then it would always come back. Finally when she started having trouble tracking her ball I plucked my head out of the sand.

I try to be kind to myself. Even after being around animals intensely for many years and working at a vet's office there was so little I knew of the medical ins and outs....or what I was actually capable of.

I don't believe any of us on this forum could be viewed as neglectful. It may seem hard for us to understand in hindsight why we didn't figure things out sooner, but I think all things in this world happen for a reason....although the reason often isn't clear and therefore it becomes very hard not to feel quilty.

It was always hard for me to reconcile not being in control- versus a God, a higher power, or the universe having control....or if it was just neglect.

At this point in my life I try to show myself the compassion I also try to show others. Could I have jumped on the diabetes sooner, absolutely. When I looked back at Ruby's medical records the rescue gave me she, had a 184 bg before I adopted her! I never even looked at the records, just took their word for everything.

But did I also do everything possible for her for a long time and keep her going when I sometimes thought it would cost me my sanity, marriage or the love of my child? Yes. Would other folks been driven to put her to sleep 2 years ago. I think most folks would have. So when it all shakes out I think I did better then ok.

What was so hard for me to see in my own thread I can see in yours plainly. I know you struggle financially which means you need to work longer hours and testing frequently would be an added hardship. As you said, you thought she was doing better. It also seems to me that Zoe has been one of the healthy ones romping around and chasing her ball. I think you have been doing a great job with her.

And as Natalie says there is rarely rhyme or reason to why they go blind. Sad but true. She could have had perfect regulation all along and gone blind overnight.

Tara
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                                X