CJ Westie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ Westie

CJ is still doing really well after such a long time being diabetic and with other problems !
    Sorry I could not get into his old thread so I just wanted to let all his old friends on the forum how he is doing .

He has a good quality of life and really enjoys all his traveling around the world even after all this time . We did not get another dog after Toffee passed away but CJ is such a full time job I felt it would be unfair to bring another dog into our family just now .

He needs to be fed about 6-8 times a day . His blood sugar levels are fairly consistent but I need to test him a lot with all the feeds but it seems to work for him. I always give him a little less insulin in the evening - he get csninsulin twice a day 6am and 6 pm . Usually he gets about .2 less after his first evening feed. He still enjoys walks and going out in the car for a drive and meeting people . He is deaf now but luckily he never lost his sight. He’s been diabetic now for over 5.5 years - since May 2012 . The vets never thought he would survive but he is a warrior and he is the best dog in the world !!
    I could not have got him through the first year without the help of this forum do again thank you to everybody on the forum who helped us get through a really stressful time.

CJ also suffered from pancreatitis but I have managed to keep this under control . He does get sick after eating even still but only when he licks his paws which has become a ritual with him .
    So it just goes to show as they say here on this fantastic forum that every dog is different . Well CJ certainly proves that. So even though he gets his insulin twice a day at the same time he gets a lot of small meals throughout the day but it works for him and his bg levels are generally very stable unless he has something else going on - like an ear infection or infection in his paws.

So thank you all again for helping CJ and me to get through this journey and it’s not over yet!!!

Hugs from us both
    xxx
    Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Re: CJ Westie

great to hear cj is doing well and all of you are still enjoying your life together . its looks like jesse and cj are the same age but cj is a tad older
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Re: CJ Westie

Great to hear a good report on CJ, Anne-Marie. A testimony to the excellent care you're providing your little guy!
      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Working...
      X