Problems with wetting in house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with wetting in house

My 10 year old pit bull was just diagnosed with diabetes. I can handle the shots and the diet but the accidents all over the house are really getting hard to handle. He can have 5 accidents within 30 minutes and when an 80 pound dog has an accident it is a big deal. He also has a lot of weakness in his back legs. We are currently giving 22 units of Vetsulin daily. This dog is my best friend and soulmate. I will try anything to help him. I am exhausted from getting up all night with him to go outside and clean up messes. Can anyone offer me any hope? Can this get better?

Re: Problems with wetting in house

Welcome. This is a great place to be for you and your dog.

High blood sugar causes a lot of peeing, so this can be normal. As blood sugars start to come down on a consistent basis, the peeing will lessen.
    I'm diabetic myself, if sugar is really high, I can pee every half hour.

The hind leg weakness, also normal at first, it should get better, but a certain kind of B12 can help. I'll let others weigh in on the right one.

One thing to know, this takes time, a lot of time, and patience. Months usulaly to get the dog regulated. And diabetes will challenge your expectations all the time. It doesn't follow the textbook. You'll ask yourself "why" many times.

But stay consistent and methodical with things. Minor changes to things over time.

It's helpful to let people here know what your routine is and what your vet is recommending, as a reference.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

As raysaint suggested its a process and takes time . Do you have any curves you can post so we know what level your dogs blood sugar is at . Usually it does not take long for diabetic symptoms to fade and numbers can still be elevated . UTIs can occur in diabetic dogs and you can see excessive urination from that

Definitely recommend testing blood sugar at home then you know where your at as far as blood sugar and you can use a human meter . Your not guessing .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

My husband has been taking Buster to the vet about every 10 days to run a curve. We are not home testing. We have seen high sugar in the morning (300s) with another spike in late afternoon. Just increased Vetsulin to 22 units in morning and see some slight improvement. At least gives me some hope. Having a little trouble with shots due to a 3 inch wide scar that runs the length of his back. When we found him as a puppy he had been intentionally burned. This limits the area where I can give injection and makes his skin very tight. We are coping as best we can. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Comment

Numbers in the 300s you should not see excessive urination caused by diabetes
          So the urination is probably from something else like a urinary track infection .

300s for highs is pretty good it would have been nice to know what the lower trend is . My jesses levels are from 250 to 100 . She is sometimes higher and lower but she has lived with this for 10 years

You and your dog get use to the new reality and it becomes no big deal .
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Home testing is so important, and gives you better tracking of sugar levels to know what is and isn't working, your progress, and to identify possible issues.

Vets usually want patients to keep coming to their office, but most people realize home testing is simple and important. Diabetes, including human types, testing is the lifeblood of the disease. Knowing sugar levels is crucial.

If your dog starts acting a bit weird, you can check sugar to see if maybe he is too low. And when you make any changes to diet or insulin, it's good to know what immediate effects it might have , rather than ten days from your change.

As jesse said, your numbers aren't crazy high, so I'd test for a urinary tract infection. have the vet do a urine analysis with a culture.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I live in Louisiana and we are officially ordered to stay at home as of today. We spoke to the vet and he agreed that it sounded like a UTI. We were able to go pick up some antibiotics that will hopefully help. He is going to give us paperwork certifying that our dog is in critical need of care just in case the police start checking on why people are out and about. Kind of scary to think we might need that.

Comment

I also faced such a problem, me and my alex were also in a lockdown and we couldnt find a vet, we bought a dogs diabetic meter from here and it helped us easily to test diabetes from our poor boy

Comment

I’m not on the forum much since my Annie passed away two years ago (18 years old, 9 as a diabetic).

Are you injecting only once a day? Although the Vetsulin data sheet suggests once a day to start, most soon progress to twice a day. Also, can you confirm you are using U-40 syringes with the Vetsulin? How much does Buster weigh?

Craig

Note: I just made a change to the above. I should have asked if you were using U-40 syringes (I changed it in the above paragraph). U-40 syringe is the proper syringe for Vetsulin. Sorry for any confusion!!
                  Last edited by CraigM; 04-04-2020, 06:46 PM.
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
                  X