As numbers drop need help with now what dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: As numbers drop need help with now what dosage

Both the infection as well as the antibiotic can affect their glucose levels. Even when it appears the infection may be clear the antibiotic can still have an affect.

Monitoring for ketones is something we should do especially with higher glucose levels.
    But, I know first hand it is not a foul proof method as some time back Mil was facing higher bgs. I carefully watched her ketones and never saw more than a trace.
    In taking her to her vet it was discovered she was in ketoacidosis which I treated by administering subq's and rapid acting insulin.

Just watch for signs as well as carefully monitoring for ketones.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

my jesse had one of those anal sack infections that bust had the procedure didnt work the fist time went to a different vet and it worked the second time but it wasnt pretty for over a month and a half before the second procedure it sounds like your dog is healing quick that is good

what I did every day I wouldn't just look at my post but everyones post every day to get ideas its amazing you can find just one little thing that can make a difference
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• abbeys infection and higher bg

Hi Eileen: Thank you for the post and the information. So many questions that only experience can answer and gosh knows you folks have that. Will watch those "tones". Not funny, but I have said this before in a previous post (as my mom is endstage alzheimers) that in order to get through very tough ordeals we have to try to find some humor, somewhere. So my husband has taken to asking me, "Hows Abbey and the Ketones). He said it sounds like a girl band from the 50's. Thanks again for the quick reply.
        Mary Jo

Comment

• abbeys infection and higher bg

Thank you Jessegirl, I guess these anal sac infections can be terrible. I never saw it coming and I am all over that little dog everyday. Yes, she does seem to be doing pretty well since the procedure on Sunday, atleast she acts much more comfortable. Cure one problem (the infection) and get another problem by higher bgs due to the infection and medicine. Yikes.
          Mary jo and Abbey

Comment

jesse had it about 6 months ago I am the same checking her like a hawk every day It came up so quick I was walking her in the desert she did a skoot on her butt and there it was the vet said it cant happen that quick but what I believed happened is by scooting outside in the dirt it got irritated and flamed up pretty quick
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
            X