A <feel good< day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A <feel good< day

Yesterday as I was leaving the chiropractor’s office, I got into my car and while I am buckling up and starting the car, I noticed a little dog walking aimlessly right in the middle of the street, and cars and trucks driving around to avoid it. When Buddy went blind, he sometimes became disoriented and I quickly recognized <the behavior< of that little dog. I drove to where it was, parked the car, stopped the traffic and picked up the little dog. She was trembling and obviously very scared, and needless to say I was quite angry that no one would stop and that they would choose to just drive by.

With the dog in my arms, I comforted her and she finally stopped trembling. I stood there hoping someone would come out of their house or backyard and look for it but nothing. I rang a couple of doorbells and no one knew that dog. I put her on my laps and drove to the nearest vet office. They did not recognize her as a patient, we checked for microchip (nothing) and when they called Animal Protection, I asked what would happen to her. They said she would be taken to a shelter and either be adopted out or put down. By then, I am in tears, sitting on the floor with the little dog in my arms and I knew she would not be adopted out as she was obviously quite old and I decided that the decision to put her down should rest with her mommy/daddy and that I would find the owner.

After she stopped trembling again, I left and drove back to the street where I found her and I was determined to knock on every door until I found the owner of that dog. As I am about to park the car, I noticed that a young man was walking around sort of looking around and I asked him if he had lost something. He told me he lost their dog, I asked him to describe it and sure enough, he was the owner’s son. I drove him to the vet’s office, we picked up little Mandy, who it turns out is 18, blind and deaf, and I drove him back home.

Mom called me at night to thank me for what I had done. Apparently, little Mandy was put outside for a pee and the son went back inside to answer the phone and when he came back out, Mandy was gone. Mom told me that everyone is telling her to put her down but she feels that it is not yet her time, she is not in obvious pain, still has control of her bladder and bowel and mom is having a hard time letting go. Boy, did I relate.

I felt I had <paid it forward< as Cleo was attacked by another dog in a leash free park 10 years ago and managed to slip under a fence and run off and Ron was walking around the neighborhood looking for her. Cleo was spotted by a neighbor, walking in the middle of the street, completely lost. That neighbor did the same thing I did yesterday, stopped the traffic, picked up Cleo and brought her back home.

When I related the incident to my friend, her reaction was that Buddy sent me to save little Mandy and that he is looking down on me, smiling and proud of his mommy.

Just thought I’d share this
    Louise

Re: A &lt;feel good&lt; day

Bless your heart Louise. You were truly Mandy's guardian angel yesterday. Wow and 18 years old. Love a happy ending
    God bless,
    Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

You are wonderful! Thank you for having the heart to help this poor pup.
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Amazing good luck that you found Mandy's owner, Louise. With lots of time and effort, that is! FORTUNATE Mandy - and her owners!

Yeah; I think Buddy sent you.

A feel-good day, indeed. Thank you SO MUCH - both for doing, and for sharing.

Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:16:48 (PDT)
        http://www.coherentdog.org/
        CarolW

Comment

Thank you for that Louise! You made my day!

Comment

another life saved I am going to get jesse a new tag saying some of her medical things your story has taken me out of the world of procrastination thanks
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

This is a wonderful story. Thanks for telling it
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I also learned from that. Cleo and Buddy were microchipped while we were living in Toronto and I never even thought of giving a change of address.

Our current vet did the research as to the chip number and supplier and I will contact the supplier to give them our new address.

Poodles: it was a cute little white poodle, light as a feather and so affectionate. Even though I now know she could not hear me when I talked to her and just scratched her little head and body, she just cuddled right in my arms.

Louise

Comment

Louise,

God bless you for your concern for the little one! Someone did somthing similar last year in April when they found Izzy on a highway, only there were no houses nearby. No tags, no chip. She was taken to a shelter, where she was scheduled to be put down because of her age. They felt no one would adopt her.

I don't know all the details, but the rescue group got wind of it and paid for her shots and took her. She's been in several foster homes and was adopted out once before I got her. She is very high maintenance, stubborn but sweet. She loves people. She is now microchipped.

I'm proud of you, and I know Buddy is, too!

Mary
                  Last edited by MaryLea; 07-08-2011, 07:14 PM. Reason: correct spelling (typo)
                  Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                  Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                  Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                  Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

What a heart warming story. You are a good person to have taken the time, most people do not. Little do they know how good it really feels to go that extra step.

Thanks for sharing.
                    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I'm in tears. Mandy was very lucky to cross your path.

Comment

What a great story. Thank you so much for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                        X