hind leg weakness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bad fastings for 2 weeks, why?

I know this may sound a little strange, but I noticed Daisy's fasting numbers starting to go up as well. I looked back on her log from Oct/Nov 17 and she did the same thing. Again, her curves showed her nadir dropping too low too fast. I adjusted her insulin lower and ground up her food a little more to keep up with her insulin a little better. Fasting levels are coming down.

I'm starting to wonder if the shorter days and longer nights have anything to do with their little bodies adjusting to the seasons. I've decreased almost a half unit so far.

Then the opposite happens in March.
    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

We'll see what the bloodwork says. If it's clear, then I'll do a curve to see what and if he has a nadir. He had that weird curve pattern where his nadir was pretty much his fasting. No bowl type shape at all.
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I’ve been seeing weird numbers lately too. No consistency in fastings OR how her body is reacting to insulin day to day. One day can be perfect and the next it’s like she didn’t even get her injection and just continues to rise throughout the day. I was wondering if it could be seasonal/weather related or maybe injection site.

Comment

Well, bloodwork results came back perfect. So I'll do a couple curves, and it shows he could take a dose increase, I'll probably up it a half unit.

Question: I know as a dog or human ages, insulin requirements can change. Riley turned 8 a couple months ago, was diagnosed in Feb. 2017, and only got decently regulated Feb. of 2018.
          Have your dogs needed more insulin as they aged?
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thats good news

jesse has stayed fairly consistent over the years but i do adjust the dose a bit depending on fasting
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Daisy is up and down between 5.25 in the winter and almost 6 in the summer.

Happy all his bloodwork came back normal!!
              Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

So his fastings have stayed higher than normal so I wanted to start some sort of progress, so I started dosing just over the 8.5 line on the syringe, maybe 8.7 units, for the last 2 weeks. A few fastings have been better, but not what they were.
                I waited until he had a good low fasting before doing a curve, as a day like that he'd have possibly the lowest nadir he could have, and that's what I need to know.

Curve done yesterday.

6:30 a.m. = 6.2 {112}
                9:45 a.m. = 11.1 {200}
                12:00 noon = 14.6 {265}
                2:30 p.m. = 8.9 {160}
                3:30 p.m. = 6.7 {120} , then went for a 20 min. walk
                6:30 p.m. = 9.3 {170}

this morning, 6:30 a.m. = 7.7 {140}

The 3:30 reading surprised me, being he's usually starting to rise as the insulin wears down. But the 6:30 p.m. was bang on for his usual, he usually ends up about 3 points higher than he starts in the daytime period. Overnite, as you can see, is a different story.

So do I go to the full half unit increase, to the 9.0 units? If his fastings are higher than yesterday, he should be OK. Days when fastings are low, maybe I give a shy 9 units.
                Your thoughts.
                Last edited by Raysaint; 12-12-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

From what i have seen with jesse the lower her fasting the larger the spike back up and if higher she will usually drop but the higher it is the larger the drop

you can try the 9 units but if you get a larger spike off a lower fasting sugar could get a bit more unstable with bigger spikes and drops

The curve you posted is decent and a dog could do quite well with that . Really the only thing that you could consider problematic is the spike up after fasting . Not sure if the higher dose will reduce that but you can give it a try . Just watch the lower side
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I'm not concerned about the after meal spike, I've always considered that normal, and difficult to control with a NPH insulin. Fast insulin, like we humans use all the time, is the only way to keep spikes down. But the spikes are only for 3 or 4 hours and many times within a good range. Trying to control them specifically many times messes up other things, and depending on fastings, I'd have to always adjust fast insulin dose if I was using it.

He doesn't seem to spike more with a low fasting. Haven't spoke with the vet yet, but I'm thinking a shy 9 units is what I'll go with. The only days that might be dangerous are days like his curve, with a low fasting. But I usually give him a couple pieces of sweet potato midday, for a small carb intake.

Comment

Well what i have seen with jesse and on the forum a hypoglycemic event is rare Now we dont want to be complacent but if you followed the protocols on raising the dose, test blood sugar at home and be mindful of exercise your dog will do well

Like i said the numbers you posted are very good . If your looking at perfection the spike might be problematic but 99 percent of dogs dont fall into perfection as far as blood sugar and does quite well and my jesse one of them

Congratulations you have done well with your dog

Comment

So this morning was the first day I gave him 9 units {a shy 9}. His fasting was 14.0 {250}. Thought he'd be safe at that fasting.

Now, even tho a shy 9 is just slightly more than the 8.7 he's been getting for a couple weeks, I spot checked at 2:30 today, and his bg was 8.9 {160}. Same as the curve day when he started at 6.2 and got 8.7 units. So a wee bit more insulin made a difference {plus maybe a bit of unexplained natural sugar correcting, which a body does sometimes}. So had his fasting today been 7.0, would he have been too low? I know it's not linear, but it's possible, so spot checks are in order for the next couple weeks.
                        I know from before, once his body settles in to a new dose, his body adjusts accordingly, so that no matter the fasting, I can keep his dose the same. For now I'll keep the shy 9 units, and up the midday sweet potato if his morning fasting is low.

Spoke with the vet, she agrees to increase to a shy 9 units, but spot check mid afternoon.

Comment

Very nice. Good work
                          Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                          Diabetes: Aug 2013
                          Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                          Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

• Sugarversary

Man, how time flies. It's been 2 years since diagnosis. I'm very happy he's quite healthy, according to his last bloodwork, urine, examination.

But consistency and steady regulation has not been achieved to what I believe it should be. Frustrating. Sometimes there's not a whole lot you can do {or is there, my brain always asks.}

There's a point where you could be flirting with too much potential for lows when you don't expect them, especially with a dog like Riley with varied nadirs and fastings.

My vet said, " he's just a weird little dude." But she also brings me back to earth by pointing out he has no clinical signs, which is a big thing with dogs. But hard for a number focused diabetic like myself to accept.

I need to be thankful I have him {which I am}, but stay vigilant in keeping him my little buddy for as long as possible.

Thanks to all on this forum for everything I've learned about diabetes and emotional control.

Comment

• Re: Sugarversary

Happy Anniversary. Riley! May you have many more.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

• Re: Sugarversary

yay for a wonderful job both of you have done . It is no easy task . That is key not seeing any diabetic symptoms . Jesse has always had her ups and downs and really its more common than you think . Keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                                X