Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Interim CC

Default Re: Jessie, Min schnauzer just dx-ed

Quote:
I think he is doing it the easiest way for him: 6 then 8 then 10. While he has many positive traits.
I wonder if he's ever stopped to think what 6 - 8 - 10 is in terms of percentage increase!

Alison
Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Yeah... it really does help with small dogs to think in terms of percentages instead of units. Raising a dose of 25 units to 27 is no big deal - an 8% increase. Raising a dose from 6 to 10 is a 66% increase!

In a dog whose blood sugar got down into the 300s on 6 units... Yikes!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Interim CC

Don't laugh but I have no idea what any of these levels mean. I asked him to find out what we are shooting for. What is "normal"? Where do we want jessie to be? I have no clue.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Ideal regulation in a diabetic dog, which is actually rarely achieved, would be for blood sugar to fall between 100 and 150.

Slightly more reasonable but also not always manageable is 100-180.

Generally I'd say aim to have blood sugar throughout the day between 100 and 250 with as much below 200 as possible.

Makes no difference to me what the curve looks like - some are valleys with lowest blood sugar mid-day, some are mountains with lowest blood sugar at meal times, some are even like a double humped camel!

The thing to aim for is the flatest range of levels possible.

Lowest blood sugar always controls how much insulin you can give.

If the blood sugar starts at 250, drops to 100, and then rises back to 250, great! No more insulin needed.

If the blood sugar starts at 500, drops to 100, and then rises back to 500, NOT so great... but you can't give any more insulin because more insulin will drop that 100 lower still.

That's why you want the curve to be as flat as possible and you decide how much insulin to give based on the lowest average blood sugar.

There is variation day to day, which is why we aim to keep it around 100 for a low. So on days when it goes lower than average, there is some room for it drop safely.

Blood sugar down into the 60s is hypoglycemia and anything significantly lower than that, 40s, 30s, 20s, can result in seizures, coma, and brain damage.

I get low blood sugar and I feel pretty awful when my blood sugar hits the low 60s and high 50s.

Keeping the blood sugar under 180 prevents blood sugar from spilling into the urine.

Natalie
Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Interim CC

Nat, Pat, Peggy, Alison - thank you. I drafted a book and sent it. I am going to go see if I can sleep now. You are all angels. Thank you.

PS Thru all of this Jessie acts totally normal. Other than the urination she is happy go lucky and clueless that we are all worried about her.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Well, that's a good thing!

We live in an urban area with dozens of vets and a vet school and in the end we still had to work things out ourselves for Chris. You will get it worked out too.

Natalie
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Hi Kim

How is Jessie today?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Founding Member

Hi Kim,

Also checking to see how Jessie is doing today. Hugs

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Interim CC

I am at work. Did not hear from mom or stepdad this morning so I don't know what they decided to do. I have nervously checked my emails all day. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Interim CC

Sorry for not getting back to all of you who were so helpful the other night as I struggled to grasp the basics and pass them along to my parents. I was afraid that I failed when there was no update yesterday.

This a.m. I emailed my mom to ask about Jess and what they decided regarding reducing the dosage from the vets recommended 10 units to 6.5 as you suggested. She replied that he decided to go with the vet's instructions. He feels if he's doctoring with this vet he needs to follow his instructions....She said she reminded him that doctors aren't always right.

And that was it. So at this point I pushed it as far as I feel I can. I think it will take a major scare to prove a point and there isn't anything more I can do about it. I just pray Jess can handle the increase. If she can't, I pray she lives thru it. I am sick.

Thanks to everyone who helped. Kim