New Min Pin member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Min Pin member

I think you may have unrealistic expectations of how a meter, even the Alpha Trak, can compare to lab values.

Hand held meters are a non scientific testing device, not capable of results matching those of chemical analyzers. They have an acceptable variance of 20% in either direction. As with human meters too we compare to our vet's results so we can get an idea as to the point difference in various ranges.

For all of the years I have been testing Mildred I look at the results I get with my meter, log those and watch her trends. I don't try to figure out how different it might be if I was to have her tested by my vet.

If you test your meter using the control solution and it falls within the proper range then it is working perfectly fine.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with testing. All of that struggling is creating stress which will likely show with higher than normal bgs.

Sometimes when we want to do a 24 hour curve we can do the first 12 hours on one day, give them a break and do the night portion of the curve on another night. It doesn't always have to be a consecutive 24 hours.

Good luck.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating day... you have to promise me that you will put down the meter, take a deep breath or three, and agree to cut yourself some slack!

When I made the video testing Chris on his lip, I had been testing him daily for four years.

But the first three weeks when we were learning to test... Ha! He and I were at least three stooges all rolled into one. I was clumsy, had trouble getting enough blood, didn't know how much blood was enough blood, had trouble getting things set before the meter timed out, and felt like I need two more hands and at least four less thumbs!

And then there was Chris, who didn't want to lay still, who fidgeted, who licked his lip right after I toweled it off, and who occasionally sneezed right after I got the perfect little drop of blood and blew it across the room!

If I hadn't been so frustrated, I would have cracked up at the sight of us. My mom was here during one of those weeks and she didn't think we were ever going to get it right.

By the time I made the video in early 2008, both Chris and I were totally accustomed to "the drill." I could fill three different meters from one drop of blood.

So...

Please be kind and understanding of yourself and of Violet. Testing at home is a skill and one that takes both human and dog a little time to learn.

It's really asking a lot to do a 24-hour curve so soon after learning to test - an unrealistic expectation in most cases. So you both did really really well and should be applauded for how much you did accomplish... Congratulations!!

In the long-term, you and Violet can only lose if either one of you gets frustrated. So you try a test and then you let it go and you try again later. And no matter the result of your efforts, you tell you dog what a good girl she is in the happiest voice you can muster because the best investment of all is to make this a happy pleasant experience for her.

Some dogs have gone their whole lives without a 24-hour curve. This can be sorted out with some spot checks over a couple of nights if the curve simply is not doable right now. I personally would rather see you do spot checks at home in Violet's natural routine than boarded at the vet for that length of time. Activity levels and stress at the vet are all different than at home so the curve is more true to life at home.

I would check the coding on the AlphaTrak but depending on how much time expired between these various tests and how the blood was drawn, your meters could both be right. There really is no significant different between 300 and 360 - blood sugar naturally varies moment to moment and hour to hour and day to day and the same decision would be made regardless of which reading you got if you only had one of them.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
        I'm sorry you had such a frustrating day... you have to promise me that you will put down the meter, take a deep breath or three, and agree to cut yourself some slack!

....Please be kind and understanding of yourself and of Violet. Testing at home is a skill and one that takes both human and dog a little time to learn.

.... you both did really really well and should be applauded for how much you did accomplish... Congratulations!!

In the long-term, you and Violet can only lose if either one of you gets frustrated. So you try a test and then you let it go and you try again later. And no matter the result of your efforts, you tell your dog what a good girl she is in the happiest voice you can muster because the best investment of all is to make this a happy pleasant experience for her. ....

Natalie
        Well said. Take it easy on yourself! All of us have had not-so-good experiences. Choose to remember what you've accomplished and think of this as "on the job" training.

I will repeat: Violet is fortunate to have you. Your dedication, determination and love for her will "carry the day."

Mary
        Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
        Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
        Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
        Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

I agree. We have tried to force our min pin into testing with frustrating results. Don't repeat our mistake. Take it easy. You are doing so well after such a short diagnosis period.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonellen View Post
            I was able to Abbott Lab who make the AlphaTRAK and they suggested testing with the control solution to be sure the meter is calibrated right, my vet will talk to them on Monday about it. Hopefully I can get it resolved. I also did a BG curve on Violet yesterday and made it to 10pm, at midnight things went down hill big time. I spent half an hour trying to get a BG even ended up in the bathtub, I finally quit at 12:30 I had gone through 4 test strips and a bunch of lancets and I was worried either Violet or my self was going to get her. She struggled with everything she had to prevent me from sticking her, never growled, or barked or bit, just twisted and turned as hard as could. Wasn't worth it to me any longer. Took the curve into the vet today and told her I won't do another 24 hr curve my self again. Violet who has always been loving and just a wonder friend leaves the room if I enter and looks for palaces to hide (there are none!). Vet still thinks the insulin isn't working at night, but wants to give us both a week to recoup. I will have to board her with my vet durning the day and at night with an hospital that is open 24hrs next time we do this. I am home cooking all her meals now and giving her only healthy foods. I did talk to the vet about the longer acting insulin and it is something we will explore at a later date. For now Violet will remain on 6 morn and night. This has been a very upsetting time for the the other dogs as well they can't understand what is going on. I look forward to a day that you all talk about that Violet is regulated and life doesn't seem so over whelming and depressing.

I felt I had to add my tuppence worth here

Natalie is right in what she is saying..............if you could have seen us all when we first started blood testing, it was a very scary and trying time.

We have all been there but I can honestly promise you........you will wonder what all the worry was about in the next few weeks.

There was nobody as big a pain as me when I started it becomes a bit obssesive but you soon realise.........if you just take your time.......stop when your frustrated give Violet and you a break things do get better

It is frightening when you first begin but you will be a dab hand in no time

Also my videos of Lucy was taken after a lot of practice. So don't worry you will be fine.

Hugs

Margaret
            Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Originally posted by lyonellen View Post
              It was 365, the vet's AlphaTRAK read 360, mine AlphaTRAK read 306. Big difference, I will try to contact AlphaTRAK to find out what to do.
              Apparently, this is not unusual. My AlphaTrak runs about 50 too high at high numbers (300+), and my vet's AlphaTrak is about 50 too low. At around 100, mine runs about 20 too high, and the vet's runs about 20 too low.

Yunhee

Comment

Thank you every one for your support!! I really mean it. Violet and I had a wonderful day along with my other girls, Sweet Pea and Heather. I spent just a lot of time giving them all lots of love and they me we all feel so much better. I am trying to think positive thoughts, Violet was diagnosed before anything terrible happened, Violet is under the care of a very good and gentle Vet, Violet is no longer throwing up and pacing the house, I have found a wonderful net work that is supportive and has lots of very useful information. I picked my self up and stayed busy to put the depression and worry behind me, and it's a New Year and things will improve for both of us.

Comment

Very glad to hear that you all had a nice, relaxing day.

Don't forget that you are also blessed to have the mellow Min Pin to work with!

You don't know how many times someone has posted urgently asking for help to make injections go better and the first thing I think of when I see the title is... Min Pin!

Natalie

Comment

Going back to work after having two weeks off has gotten both Violet and I off our schedule. I was up at 5:30am trying to get her to eat so I could give her the insulin and still make it out the door at 6:30. She wouldn't eat so I finally tried to give her half her dose and messed up and ended up just getting it on her fur. Now I am worried about her for today, if her last insulin was at 5pm Monday night and she doesn't any until 4:30pm tonight will she be ok?

Comment

She'll likely be higher but you can get back on track tonight.
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hey Natalie - are those messages just from one member?

Comment

Violet put a scare into me this morning. I was able to give her insulin last night, but when I got up this morning and was getting ready to go to work, I notice she didn't seem to feel good. I picked her up on my lap and was petting her but she didn't seem able to keep her head up it was nodding and she was pretty still. She wouldn't eat so I cooked up some more chicken and rice and vegetables and gave her a tiny bit of maple syrup. She finally eat and I was able to give her the insulin. I stayed home with her today and she seem ok now.

Comment

I also was able to calibrate my AlphaTRAK with my vet, they order the control solution and I went in with my test strips and monitor and she used theirs. I feel more comfortable now with using my meter.

Comment

Pam, every time I come to the forum and see a thread titled HELP with Injection Problems!!!!, I figure it's a Min Pin. And only because that's usually the breed it has turned out to be, many more times than once.

Violet's odd behavior sounds like it could have been low blood sugar. If you can't test at that point, assume it is low blood sugar and start with some syrup to get the blood sugar up as quickly as possible. Then check it and if it's still low but has reached a safe range, you can follow up the syrup with food to see her through to her next meal.

It's important to get syrup in right away.

Food has to be digested before any of its glucose reaches the blood.

The syrup is absorbed directly through the gums into the capillaries and will start raising the blood sugar right away.

Whereever you catch it, it might not be as low as it is going to go. Maybe it's 50 now but is still dropping. So you want syrup to stop the drop and start it back up and then food to carry it through later when the syrup has been exhausted.

Natalie

Comment

I thought it might be low blood sugar. I did give Violet the syrup first before I gave her food. Good thing Maple syrup tastes so good! I know how lucky I am that Violet is such a mellow sweet Min Pin. I have two others and it would be extremely difficult for me if either of them were diabetic. The vet tech's come out to see Violet when she goes to the vet that is how different she is as a Min Pin. When I went to get her as a baby her older sister who was a year older sat on my lap right a way and stayed by my side, and the mom was just as loving.

Comment

Working...
                                X