Lucy, our rescued cattle dog, is an angel... April 21, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucy, our rescued cattle dog, is an angel... April 21, 2014

Although I'm hoping they can be convinced to keep her with some help getting the treatment down to a smaller expense and possibly some donations of insulin and syringes...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org:80/ns...965121743.html

please help! Lucy our 7 year old australian cattle dog has diabetes and we cannot afford to pay for her necessary care. She is the ultimate with kids, adults, everyone and everything. She loves to love and be loved, always ther with kisses and she thinks that your lap is the best place in tyhe world. she recieves 2 shots a day of insulin and has to be on a high protien diet. I have purchased her enough meds to last 1 month, then we will have no choice but to put her down. plesase help if you can she will make anyone the best dog ever, seriously, ever. i will post pics this evening.
    I've emailed the poster suggesting keeping Lucy and finding some financial assistance and am hoping that they come here so we can help.

Natalie

Re: Diabetic dog in San Diego needs new home

Thanks to Cushy for this link... http://www.petfinder.com:80/shelters/CA828.html

Special Needs Dog Rescue in San Diego. Not sure if they could take a cattle dog but worth a shot.

Comment

http://www.cattledog.com/misc/intro.html

Not sure that Lucy is a "working" cattle dog or a family pet. Am thinking about my OES right now and know he wouldn't have known anything about herding sheep.

At that time, OES were considered part of the AKC working dogs category; they are now in the herding dogs one. Our joke was that he was technically classed as a working dog, but he never worked a day in his life!

Comment

The original posting on craigslist has apparently now "expired" (link no longer works). Has anybody heard anything at all about Lucy?

Comment

No response to my email.

Comment

Lucy Update--

http://petswithdiabetes.yuku.com/top...d-of-help.html

He WROTE ME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
            I really was begining to think he wouldn't but here is his contact info and a picture of Lucy below....

"mike signs"
            im sorry ive been very busy here is a pic of lucy she is such a great dog and has responded very well to the insulin. her appetite is back and she is putting on weight. she is such a love muffin. Unfortunatly i need to adopt her out I am a single father of 2 and cannot find time or money to give her the love she desearves. my phone # 760-855-8695 i want her to go to a good home.

I think I added her photo...Not sure but I think I made an album named Lucy Diabetic cattle dog valley center.

His contact info is above...
            Please feel free to cross post!
            THank you,
            Sincerely,
            Bobbi Harlan

Here's a photo of Lucy:

Comment

I too was panicky about the cost of daibetes, when Starz was diagnosed. With guidance from this group, the cost of her care got to be managable. There is probably an ACD rescue group in CA that may be able to help out, if he has to part with her.

Does anyone know if Lucy is spayed?
              Ginny

Comment

I'm hoping to get some detailed information on her, including whether she has lived indoors. It looks like she was photographed in a kennel so I wonder if she might be an outdoor dog.

Comment

I just sent a note and the photo of Lucy to the ACD rescue group in San Diego. The history of exposure to kids is a good thing for an ACD. They make great family dogs, as long as they have a job to perform (ie catch frisbees)
                  Ginny

Comment

Thank you Ginny!!!!

Comment

I talked with Mike and there's no flexibility in this situation. Lucie either finds a new home or goes into rescue within 30 days (when her insulin supply runs out) or they will euthanize.

She's on Vetsulin 7 units twice a day and has a 40mL vial.

Contact me for more detailed information. (k9diabetes@gmail.com)

Natalie

Comment

Just wanted to clarify, since I wasn't real clear, that I don't have much more information about Lucie...

She is said to weigh about 31 pounds and has regained some of the weight she lost prediagnosis. He described her as a "big lap dog" and very sweet and social. She is said to live with 4 kids, 4 horses, and 10 other dogs on some acreage in a ranch type setting. He said she sleeps indoors or out, though my guess is that it's more often outdoors. She's on Kirkland lamb and rice kibble as she turned her nose up at WD.

I forgot to ask if she is spayed.

With so many dogs around, I'm thinking it likely that she is.

I have emailed the ACD rescue contacts in the San Diego area and all of the rescue folks I know up here and several members of the Cushings board have been putting out the word as well. I explained to Mike that the shelters here are overflowing with "foreclosure dogs" so I think it will take quite a bit longer than a couple of weeks to find a home for a special needs dog.

Natalie

Comment

Several very dedicated members of the Cushings forum have put in many many hours working on locating a foster home for Lucie.

Thank you Sue, Carol, and Glynda!!! http://www.caninecushings.net/forums...isplay.php?f=1

Someone has come forward who may be willing to take her in for foster care but will need financial support as he is currently unemployed.

If you are interested in helping financially to support Lucie for vet bills, food, insulin, and syringes, please drop me an email (k9diabetes@gmail.com) or a private message to let me know and I will then keep you advised on developments and if and when such support is needed.

Supporting Lucie's diabetes care if she is put on NPH would be only about $25 a month (insulin and syringes) - she is currently on 7 units per injection, two injections a day. I am also willing to send food and contribute to vet expenses.

If this all occurs, we won't want to rush to send many months worth of insulin and syringes as it is beginning to look like Lucie might not be spayed. So that will be the first thing that will need to be done and then see how that affects the diabetes.

There is quite a bit of history on the situation that I'm leaving out of the public forum so if you have any questions, drop me a line.

I can't begin to adequately thank Sue, Sue's friend Alison, Carol, and Glynda for their efforts on Lucy's behalf...

Natalie
                          Last edited by k9diabetes; 01-04-2009, 07:17 PM. Reason: Add forum link

Comment

Re: Lucie may have foster home, will need donations

Things are looking good for Lucie. This is from Sue over at the Cushings forum today:

Latest is that my friend Alison is hoping to be able to go out there and get Lucie sometime this week. She has gotten Lucie's vet's phone number and will talk to him early this week for a rundown on Lucie's health background. Sounds like she's making progress with Mike. She sent me an e-mail this a.m. saying that Lucie is NOT spayed.

In the meantime, Carol has rounded up a foster home for her. We have lots of offers for donations - guess we will be needing donations for getting her spayed, and for DM supplies (if the DM is chronic). Please PM Natalie (k9diabetes) here about donations and she will get back to you. (Or e-mail her directly) Waiting for more word from Alison at this point. Have not heard back from the possible adoptive mom in Goleta yet. So the saga continues..... Sue
                            I get emails of all my personal messages but you're also welcome to email me directly (k9diabetes@gmail.com).

The spay is an absolute necessity to control her diabetes and will have to be funded by donations. I believe the foster home is looking for a vet who will do the spay at a "rescue" rate.

This guy is doing Lucie a huge favor as financially this is not a time for him to take on additional expenses plus it's one more dog than he can manage long-term. But nothing else was open to Lucie so he has graciously agreed to provide her a short-term home.

I am so relieved to hear that this may get settled this week. I know many of us have been losing sleep over Lucie's fate.

Natalie
                            Last edited by k9diabetes; 01-05-2009, 02:34 PM. Reason: update Sue's post

Comment

Re: Lucie has a foster home

From Rick, Lucie's new foster dad:

Just got back from picking up Lucy.

Poor thing is skin & bones. The owners said she has been gaining weight. YIKES!

Many thanks to all the people here & on the Aucado forum for encouragement & info. This is pretty intimidating for me, but I'll do the best I can.

Dingo is more stressed than Lucy, I think. We've had dogs visit before but he's never been this way.

The owner wasn't lying when he said she is a lover. She is a total sweetheart so far. She rode fine in the cab of the truck. Let me handle her. Gives me kisses...

Ummm... tomorrow she gets a bath. Apparently she feels well enough to herd the livestock... pheeyew!

Here she is.

Rick

http://www.caninecushings.net/forums...ed=1#post88704

Comment

Working...
                              X