X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Franklin has diabetes

thing are looking good congrats on the nice numbers

it sounds like home testing is in your future
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you very much. It was always my intention to begin home testing. I think that having my confidence shaken when he started to resist the injections had a lot to do with the delay. Why struggle with 2 things when I hadn't come close to mastering the jabs? I still haven't mastered the art, but I know for sure he's playing me sometimes. Like when the needle was more than an inch away from his skin and he yelped.

I was concerned about the jab tonight, after learning of the ear infection. I thought he'd put up a fight with me going near his head, and I was right. (The power of negative thinking?) Between a slice and a half of cheese for the insulin and a head lock for the ear drops it took a half hour to get Franklin done tonight.

2 more weeks of the ear drops. Yay!

Best wishes to all,

Jane and Franklin, 6.9kg maltese with diabetes, atypical cushing's, proteinuria, epilepsy, home cooked, royal canin weight control, a little commercial food. Melatonin, lignans, enalfor, phenobarb, 4u caninsulin bid (10 on marker of u100syringe) Australia
      Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

I have cats. There are times when slipping the cat into the sleeve of an old sweatshirt can make all the difference, especially if there is a knot at one end, and a collar over the other.

Comment

Hi Jane,

You got it right...if you hesitate of even act like it is going to be a problem then Franklin will pick up on it and run with that idea. Channel your inner actress and try to act confident at least on the outside. Have you thought about using an injection device. I used the inject ease on Buddy and it helped my confidence. I know there have been discussions here before on these devises but not sure how many have used them but I will say the inject ease is what saved me.

Jenny

Comment

Indygo, can you describe the collar with the sweatshirt a little more please? Would it be similar to half putting a muppet in a leg warmer so they can't bat your hands away?

Jenny, I googled the inject ease-looks really good. I got him so easy both shots today, so whether Franklin realizes it's gonna happen regardless, or if he's figured out he needs it to feel good, I don't know. Back when I turned into a complete spaz (a couple of weeks ago) I asked the vet if using a pen needle would be better for me, and she said she usually advises that if the injector person has arthritis or bad eyesight. And when I found out that even with the pen needle I'd still need to tent and have him stay reasonably still, I was going to be back at square one.
            I think we might try the inject ease though. And it would be handy if someone else needed to jab him, but it will have to wait until next well when I might have some money

Franklin's ears are much better, last night and both times today he didn't cry for the ear massage. The sink is a great place to have him for the ear drops, so thanks again for that tip.

Much love and many hugs to you all and your babies,
            Jane and Franklin
            Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin'sMum View Post
              Indygo, can you describe the collar with the sweatshirt a little more please? Would it be similar to half putting a muppet in a leg warmer so they can't bat your hands away?

Cut a sleeve off an old sweatshirt. Tie or sew the cuff end closed. Take the collar off the dog. Insert dog bottom first into the sleeve, pull it up so that the shoulder end of the sleeve is around the dog's neck, and put the collar back on OVER the sleeve. Mind you, it works best the first few times, then they develop a memory.

Comment

Thank you for that, I didn't quite get what you meant the first few times I read your original post. I'll keep the sleeve idea in mind if I have trouble again.

Comment

Originally posted by indygo View Post
                  Cut a sleeve off an old sweatshirt. Tie or sew the cuff end closed. Take the collar off the dog. Insert dog bottom first into the sleeve, pull it up so that the shoulder end of the sleeve is around the dog's neck, and put the collar back on OVER the sleeve. Mind you, it works best the first few times, then they develop a memory.
                  I think we need a picture of this process
                  Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
                    I think we need a picture of this process
                    Easier said than done. I haven't done this in a while, and then only with cats.

Wrapping an animal tightly in a towel or sheet also does the same thing, restricts the movement of the legs and keeps them from flailing about too much.

Comment

Has anyone used surolan for ear yeast infections? Franklin seems to be hard of hearing the last couple of days. I'm waiting on a call back from the vet. There was nothing about hearing or deafness in the pamphlet in the box, but Google had some info.

It contains miconazole nitrate 23.0mg/ml
                      Polymyxin b sulphate .529mg/ml
                      Prednisolone acetate 5.0mg/ml

It's the Polymyxin that seems to be oto-toxic, and I'm so hoping it's only temporary. Or that his ears are just clogged with the cream. Any ideas? He's not ignoring me, his ears aren't twitching when I speak to him, but he reacts when I make loud,high noises.

Jane and Franklin

Comment

Hi Jane: Here is a link to a thread that talks about some ear medication and that it can cause deafness. I don't know if yours is on there. The one Jenny has used all of her life is. sigh.

I hope his ears clear up and it was just clumped up. Judi

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hi Judi,

Thanks for the link. The drops aren't listed on that, but apparently it's the Polymyxin in it that can be oto toxic. He hasn't had the drops since Thursday night. A vet from the blood pressure practice got back to me and said they've never had a deafness/reduced hearing incident having prescribed the drops hundreds of times. He thought it might just be clogging in the ear canal, and agreed with my idea to discontinue for a few days and see if Franklin's hearing became better. It did! Woo hoo!!!
                          I'm reluctant to use the surolan drops though, and I'm looking into zymox otic, which was mentioned somewhere on this site (if memory serves).

In other news..... we did our first home bg test! YAY!! Tried last night with the freestyle and was no go. Gave a liver treat and tickles. Tried for a fasting this morning and it didn't quite work, so got him breakfast and did the normal things. After lunch tried again. This time with the true track. Gotta love ebay Beautiful blood droplet, straight up the wicky sucker and... 19.0 mmol /342mgdl. Argh. He's not eating diabetic food at the moment, and had snacked a half hour earlier, so I suppose it's acceptable.

Since we've now had success with the true track, and the strips seem easier for me being a learner and all thumbs, we might stick with that until I'm better at it.

For comparison-
                          (My blood) 5.8mmol freestyle lite 6.7 true track
                          And 4.7mmol freestyle lite 5.5 true track, so they seem to be within a point of each other. Tried to use the freestyle on the same drop after our good fortune, but was by then smudgy and not enough for a read. So I just scooped him up and smothered him in kisses and told him what a good boy he is and thanked Franklin for his cooperation. Or lack of too much un- cooperation

Best wishes and thanks,

Jane and Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin'sMum View Post
                            Tried to use the freestyle on the same drop after our good fortune, but was by then smudgy and not enough for a read.
                            I don't recall where you are testing. If you are doing the ear, or I suspose anywhere other than the lip, have you tried a very small dab of Vaseline? I massage a very small "dot" of Vaseline on the area of Annie's ear to be tested and that helps the blood droplet form a ball and not run into the surrounding area. Never mind if you are using the lip
                            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Oops, we're using the ear. Franklin didn't like the lip prick a week ago, and the blood pressure vet practice do ear prick testing so that's what they showed me. I clippered his ear flap hair about a week ago, but will try with vasoline, thanks Craig

Comment

Wooohoo! Franklin was a good boy! So glad to hear you got a reading! Isn't that first one just the best! I tried for over a week to get one...was the most frustrating time! I never had a problem with the injections or even actually doing the testing...just no blood! Finally found the sweet spot and yay! Is fantastic! Happy testing! Hugs!
                                Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Working...
                                X