No announcement yet.

Maggie is an angel today! June 20, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Introducing Maggie - Diabetic 8 years!

Amy it comes down to predictability for a specific action

Jesse get 3 shots and one meal and that works . I did need to apply a snack for insulin to work .

I feel food can negate overlap .so multiple shots of NPH is doable at least for some of us . I think Joan was as much as 4 times

I think going from half to one unit depending on fasting maybe helpful . Jesse shots are based on fasting and what action I will used . Times she has good consistency and other times no so much . You just kind of roll with the punches

There maybe other factors you just can't overcome completely as with jesses neurological issues and how I believe it affects sugar for her
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• I just read that Norma Jean is giving her Jacob 3 shots of vetsulin a day in 8 hour intervals. I wonder if you could do something similar for Maggie except using NPH.

Keeping you guys in my prayers,
      Audrey
      Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

The vet visit today went well. We sat down with her ever increasing file and just mapped out what we are doing and what we can do to try to get her straight. Naturally, today, her numbers have been perfect. She started at 185 at 7 am, 77 at 11:30, 102 at 3 pm, and 187 at 6:45. We decided since her digestion improved so much that we would treat it as pancreatitis(I think this is the chronic type unlike the attacks she has always had) but if it it is something like epi or something similar, what we are doing should improve the situation.

He wanted to start her on a probiotic despite the fact she has usually flat out refused it in the past. I told him that she adores the new canned food so much that she might actually take it. Sure enough, she ate her food just like always. I think before, she never had food she really loved, only food she tolerated. We cut out the liquid meds and he said we could use the flagyl on a maintenance dose. Flagyl has been the only thing that gives her relief from the diarrhea or blobs she has been having recently. She gets probiotics from her goat milk as well so staying on flagyl shouldn't be an issue. He wants me to go from four meals to three meals and see if the blood sugar will get better, and keep her digestion good. Neither one of us wants to go to 3 doses a day because of her tendencies to be sensitive to insulin.

If we have any escalation, we can do more blood tests or do an ultrasound to see if there is a tumor. He thinks she is pretty comfortable and she even gained almost a pound which was a relief.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Oh Yay....all things considered this is a great update.

BAD, BAD EPI. Stay away from Maggie!
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

paws quietly crossed...good update (whispers, knocks on wood)
            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Wow, Amy. You've had quite the roller coaster ride going on. I went back about 4 pages trying to catch up.
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

So far, going from four meals to three has made a big difference in blood sugar. Time will tell if her digestion will favor three meals or four but so far so good. Whispering this of course!
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Ssshhhhhh good news.hope she continues
                  Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

• Fingers Crossed!!
                    Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Fingers crossed here too.
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.
                      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.

Comment

Amy,

Whispering good wishes.

Barb
                        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Hi Maggie, best wishes hope you'll be okay soon

Comment

I can't believe I am posting this but I am tired, Maggie is tired, and the problems she is having are just getting to be too much. We have decided to release her from this pain and I am beyond devastated but she has too much going on and she is a warrior so she will never give up, so we will have to do it for her. I don't want to but I have to.

Diabetes has no real relevance - I think the combination of her old dog arthritis, dementia and now cervical spine damage. She started the past few days refusing to put her head down to eat or drink. We took her in yesterday and after examining her, the vet thinks that she has some cervical disc damage and it is quite painful for her to put her head down. I have been elevating her meals recently and raising a shallow bowl of water up to her level to drink. I had her with me the other night and she was laying in her dog bed and there was no sweet relaxing look but she just had this sad little look begging me to explain the point of it all. That was it.

My biggest fear is she could exist for weeks, maybe months, in this shape but what is it doing for her? Proving how tough she is? I know that. It would be for me. And that is just wrong. Then, what if she has a catastrophic event and has to suffer horribly before I can get her to a vet? I couldn't live with that.

So, this is where I am. Setting the day is tough but I am thinking Monday or Tuesday. Might as well start the week off in horrible fashion. I have cried oceans of tears and I keep thinking it will stop but no such luck. I am gonna love on her this weekend. There is never enough time. Please tell me someday I will be able to breathe again.

Comment

lifting you up Amy. much love from Minnesota. I was in a support group once where a woman told herself "you can do hard things" It's a good mantra.

you can do hard things. you have. you will. Love Maggie as much as you can. And give her a kiss from me.

Judi
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Oh Amy....I have an appt. and only a second but had to lift you up along with Judi. Yes dear, you will be able to breathe again and I know because I have felt just that.
                                Stay close if you can bear it and we will carry you through.

Tara
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Working...
                                X