Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Kitty Gus is sick

Gus had his fourth chemo pill today and has been on the prednisolone daily, none of which seems to bother him. And by mushing up the Lamb canned IVD with water, I've convinced him to eat it fairly consistently, along with some kibble at times if he's really hungry.

This morning he tried to break into the Pill Pockets bag and help himself so those are working wonders for getting his meds into him. Which is cool, since the prednisolone is a lot cheaper as a pill than as a syrup.

Natalie
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Founding Moderator

Keep it up, Gus!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Founding Member

I've wondered about the pill pockets for cats as I have several cats that don't eat ANY treats. A friend with a thyroid kitty was having trouble pilling and I told her to try pill pockets and she was amazed at how simple that was! I hope he continues liking them! I've found things that work for awhile and then.....

I've always heard that cats take chemo really well compare to other species. I hope he stays well, keeps taking his meds and eating well!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Founding Member

Nat, I hope Gus is doing better and taking his pills............
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 05-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator

So far, the pill pockets are working great.

Some days Gus looks pretty good, some days a little scruffy. Today is a scruffy day. He has put a little weight back on, which is good.

Not much news, which I guess is good news.

Natalie
Old 05-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Founding Member

Thanks for the update on the Gus Boy! Nice to hear that he is taking this all in a stride - or at least that's what he wants you to think! I'll have to remember to check on those pill pockets if I ever have to pill Lacey - gosh - I just know that would be a nightmare! Taffy was bad enough - but a cat? Yikes! Jody
Old 05-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator

I had happened to start giving him treats a few months ago in an effort to get him to socialize a bit more, which turned out to be very valuable now that he needs pills twice a day.

I'd sit on the bed and rattle the treat bag and he'd come running. I'd require him to pretty much climb into my lap to get the treat. He'd stay at least long enough for 3 or 4 treats, which was a big accomplishment for him.

Something about those treats they REALLY like and now they lap up the pill pockets too. Katie gets one every time Gus does.

Gus has a blood draw scheduled on Monday, I think mostly to check for anemia from the chemotherapy.

Natalie
Old 06-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Gus' blood panel came back with some good news and no bad news. It doesn't really tell us much about the IBD/Lymphoma but does suggest he's not having any serious problems with the treatment.

No anemia.

Calcium dropped into the normal range,
from 13.2 down to 10.5, normal is 8.2-11.8

ALKP improved, from 80 to 40, normal is 0-62.
ALT went up though, from 76 to 135, normal is 28-100

One weird thing - cholesterol went up, from 187 to 235, normal is 82-218.

He also gained some weight, from 12.4 to 13.0 pounds and it seems to be somewhat better distributed.

The vet wants to continue his treatment for another week or two before doing any major evaluations since there's no obvious problems or obvious improvement. Gus remains in the not-great/not-bad gray area, maybe a little better than pretreatment though he might have felt bad as much from the fatty liver issue as the IBD.

It's hard to really test the progress of the IBD/Lymphoma since it doesn't show up in the bloodwork other than the calcium level and that didn't seem to come from the intestinal issues in his case.

Some days he's looks pretty good. Some days he seems sluggish. And the vet said his own wife's cat, which has IBD, does the same thing.

Natalie
Old 07-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Tuesday they are gonna ultrasound Gus to see how his lymph nodes and intestine look. He's been on chemo and prednisolone for just short of two months. The chemo, the vet tells me, is a permanent thing since it's a low-grade approach.

The vet's also going to look at his jaw and see if there's a reason for Gus' weird chewing/eating habits.

The loss of hair on the back of his back legs and stomach are commonly either allergies, which seems unlikely given that he's been on a daily dose of prednisolone, or stress. So this weekend I begrudgingly put his cat box back into his kennel in my office. Lordy, I loved not having it in here but he was going to the box barely once a day, saving it all up for one trip out to the box in the garage, so I got the feeling that he really wasn't liking not having his own cat box. If only he wasn't so messy!!!

Natalie
Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Administrator

Gus was a very expensive child on Tuesday. I'm still waiting for the lab results.

He has some changes in the fat in his liver, which the vet feels is benign.

They took some samples of the lymph nodes with needle biopsies and ran a blood panel.

Previous Results:
Quote:
Calcium dropped into the normal range,
from 13.2 down to 10.5, normal is 8.2-11.8

ALKP improved, from 80 to 40, normal is 0-62.
ALT went up though, from 76 to 135, normal is 28-100

One weird thing - cholesterol went up, from 187 to 235, normal is 82-218.
July 8 Results
Calcium: 9.9 so dropped still further
ALKP: 54, higher but still within normal range
ALT: 464, quite a bit higher
AST: 204, up quite a bit from 84, reference range is 5-55

I can't remember what AST is... will have to look it up.

The vet wasn't concerned about these.

Then they sent a blood sample to Texas A&M for a special panel (code on invoice is Tli/Pli/Cobalamine/Folate... intended to give us some information on Gus' IBD. Will have to look that up too!

Have been so busy with Chris that I haven't had much chance to explore this new test.

The leukeran, chemo drug, is likely a permanent part of Gus' life.