Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 AM

Default Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

Yunhee,

You are a wonderful caring Mom, and will know when the time to let go. Praying that the new meds will keep Audrey painfree, so you can enjoy her remaining days together.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
Yunhee,

You are a wonderful caring Mom, and will know when the time to let go. Praying that the new meds will keep Audrey painfree, so you can enjoy her remaining days together.
I definitely agree, Yunhee. I admire your dedication to your pets. You will know when it is time. My heart goes out to you!

Mary
Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

That's interesting (and good news) that feline osteosarcomas don't typically metastasize. I too am praying you have many more pain free and happy days with Audrey with the treatment she's undergoing.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:49 AM

Sorry, I've only just seen this thread. I'm a cat lover too so I do know how much Audrey means to you. 20 is a wonderful age and is a tribute to you that she has got to this age. I have 8 cats and until my recent ill health, I was breeding them as well. I'm hoping I will be able to go back to breeding once I've recovered from my upcoming surgery.

Sounds as though the oncologist is being very helpful and not being too pessimistic. I hope that you will be able to give Audrey many more months of quality life with his help.

If you are interested I run a small Yahoo email support group

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/cancerpetsUK/

I know it says UK but we do welcome members from any part of the World. It's not a busy list so you won't get inundated with tens of emails everyday. I know there are a lot of dog and cat lovers on the list who have all sorts of experience with animals with cancer and who would be there to help and support you through the good and bad times.

Wishing Audrey well.
Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM

As we are both dealing with ill cats, I wanted to let you know about a product I found at PetCo. Cat Milk. I've always heard that our dairy isn't really all the good for cats, as much as they like it. And apparently someone has come up with a milk fit for cats, with nutrients in it. I happened upon the Cat Milk - made by Friskie's, I think, at petco when I was looking for pill pockets for my cat.

She loves this cat milk, and I consider it a good treat for her, plus a little nutrition with lubrication, too. Maybe it's something that your cat can drink and enjoy?
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Hmm - Audrey will probably like it. I will get it this weekend and see if she likes it. She has taken to eating Harry's Before Grain canned meat formula. I basically give her anything she wants (which seems to include everything dogs get).
This cancer has grown exponentially, and she's been eating a ton. I feel like her excess appetite is going to this miserable tumor.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
This cancer has grown exponentially, and she's been eating a ton. I feel like her excess appetite is going to this miserable tumor.
I feel the exact same way.

BTW, I give her a little at a time, and store the rest in a jar in the fridge and heat it a little in the microwave before serving it. Hope she thinks its a great treat. She deserves it.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Just saw this thread and am so sorry you are going thru this! Never easy to have older pets...my last was 17..nearly 18 years old when her kidney disease became just too advanced.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can medically! I can't offer any suggestions for this disease.

I do know that no matter how much you think you didn't pay attention or didn't spend time with her...she loves you and will always do so! Just remember that you gave her a wonderful home and she never went without anything a cat could want...and yes, I agree...if she'd wanted more, she would have asked for more. You're a good mom and you have SO many happy memories and still time to make more!

Lots of hugs and good thoughts your way!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
That's interesting (and good news) that feline osteosarcomas don't typically metastasize. I too am praying you have many more pain free and happy days with Audrey with the treatment she's undergoing.
Must admit I was surprised to read that Osteo in cats is better than Squamous Cell. In dogs it's totally the other way round. Just shows how different species can be so different doesn't it?

My Addison's poodle also had Squamous Cell Carcinoma in one of his toes. It was amputated (the toe that is) and I was told that the odds are very slim it will come back. Apparently, it's quite a problem in black dogs and Standard Poodles in particular.
Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 AM

I know - but unfortunately in Audrey's case, her tumor is very aggressive (grew 5x the original size in a month).
Audrey has been spending a lot of time near the dog's waterbow. I thought she was drinking, but it turned out that she is soaking her tumor. The cold water must help with the pain. A sad sight to see this little girl trying to alleviate her pain. At least, she has a will to try. She is on Buprenorphine to help with her pain, but I am thinking of upping her dosage.