Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Any one have experience with Tramadol

Louise,
One or two days after starting Metacam, Amy started to have diarrhea and black tarry stool. We had to stop immediately as it indicated bleeding. It was unfortunate because it was very effective. Kidney and liver values were OK, but the electrolytes were off.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Chris couldn't tolerate Tramadol - made him throw up. He was always weird that way. Took Metacam every day for something like four years and never had a problem but couldn't handle Tramadol.

We have also been avoiding using Tramadol with Jack (not diabetic) because of the Seratonin problem. He's on Prozac, which increases Seratonin levels, for his anxiety and it's been so good for him that I would not want to give it up. There has been some concern, carried over from human medicine, about inducing Seratonin syndrome and who wants to be a case study for that!

And Jack has been on Metacam daily now since in October. No problems with it at all.

Natalie
I guess it all depends on the dog and the situation what drugs they have. Toppa, my 15 yr old Border Collie who has mild kidney failure (found on a blood test before giving him Rimadyl) is on not only Rimadyl but Tramadol as well for his severe arthritis.

He's been on the Rimadyl for 6 months and now has been on Tramadol as well for the past 8 weeks or so. He has had no problems with either drug at all.

I do understand that the case might be different because he is an old dog who without pain relief, would have to be put to sleep so I'm not really looking at long term problems with him. I'm sure I would think twice before putting a young/middle age dog on either of them long term. With a 15 yr old dog, it really is quality over quantity of life IMO.

Tramadol is being used quite a bit here now for post operative pain as well as more long term problems. According to my vet, they have not had any reported problems using it.
Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
Louise,
Just make sure that you take a baseline liver and kidney values before starting Metacam and then re-test after 2 weeks to make sure that there is no permanent impact. According to our vets, most of the negative reaction will happen within the first few days. .
This is very sound advice and that is what my vet also did for Toppa. (see my earlier post).

I believe that a lot of the problems seen with Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs have been caused by them being given to dogs with perhaps an existing and undiagnosed problem with liver, kidneys etc. After all, it's very often older dogs that are prescribed with this class of drugs.
Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

He was in severe pain the last few days. It was pitiful and very hard to watch. I had to put him down after 2 days of it as he was just terminal and just getting worse. I am fine Louise! Crazy busy with work, school and the animals. Thank you for asking!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 AM

So sorry to read this. At least you know you tried everything possible and when it was no longer possible to keep him pain free, you loved him enough to give him peace.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Back with more concerns and I can't wait for Thursday 18 August when we have our vet appointment. As usual, I am arming myself with as much information and educating myself as much as possible to discuss possible treatment with the vet.

It looks like the metacam is not bringing much relief to Cleo. She has been on full pill (1/2 am and 1/2 late afternoon - 1mg) for 3 days now and she is in obvious pain. She eats with her little leg off the floor, she bunny hops or limps a lot. I have the tramadol as a back up but I am concerned about introducing a med for a few days, only to find out that I may have to withdraw it depending on the liver values and whether I will have to put her on SAMe. She weighs 24 pounds and I am wondering why the vet said no to exceed this dosage.

She sleeps very well all night and when we get her up in the morning, she is OK. Then the princess moves to the couch and snuggles with Ron for a couple of hours. We no longer let her jump off the couch, up the steps from the sunroom to the house, we had all our decking ramped and we carry her quite a bit. By 11:30, she is starting to show signs of pain. Cleo gives us clear signal and when she is reading for a walk, she sits in front of Ron, stares at him and then barks. He has obliged her and the walk is extremely slow, he lets her sniff, lay down in the grass to rest however, it is no longer than a couple of houses now for the past 3 days.

I have done a search on this board and the net and the other med that seems to pop up a lot for arthritis is Adequan. In my reading, there is a comment about ascertaining the the <loading dose< is appropriate and I don't quite understand this. The article indicates that if this is not done properly, the med will have little effect.

Any comments or experience on that med would be appreciated.

Also since her surery 10+ years ago, she has been getting 500mg of glucosomine/choindritin. The only one she doesn't spit out is the one from GNC. I also read that Cosequin is also a glucosomine supplement which is often given with Adequan. I understand that this available from the vet

Any comments or experience on that as well

I also read that before introducing a new med, we should give the body a chance to flush out previous med (metacam) , or did I misunderstand.

It just breaks my heart to see my girl having such a rough time. Amazingly, her medical problems started the day after Buddy left us. Coincidence or part of it is missing her bro. She looks so sad, doesn't want to play where before she was our little clown, always taunting Buddy to play.

I took a crash course in diabetes, now in pain management and in a second language for me. Need I say that my head is spinning right now

As always, thank you for any comments or response

Louise

Also, we were thinking that maybe an X-Ray of her leg would tell us a little more. How dangerous is it to put a dog under with a level 4 heart murmur? We are trying to find a solution while spending the dollars wisely in trying to find the best course of treatment to bring her relief

Last edited by buddingartist; 08-15-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Founding Member

Hi Louise,

Adequan dosage is based on the weight of the dog. Crissy Ann received Adequan injections for several years along with her tramadol and Metacam. I never saw her in extreme pain until the day she fell and died.

Bonnie and Angel Criss

P.S. Criss had a bad ACL as well. I declined to have her operated on to fix it since she was so old.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:23 PM

You can give Metacam, Consequin, Adequan and Tramadol all together. I buy Cosequin from Amazon - much cheaper than at the vet office.
You are not going to see immediate relief from Adquan and Cosequin - it will take a while.
I would definitely take the dog to the vet sooner as there are other things that could give her pain.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:25 PM

We had to recently get xrays of my dog (Harry) and Audrey (cat) - none required sedation. Harry, in fact, got his leg x-rays yesterday with zero sedation.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Administrator

I know of several dogs whose pain was greatly relieved by Adequan injections and our cat Gus had them for the better part of a year.

He was loaded with a weekly injection for four or five weeks and then we spread them out to every three weeks. That was enough to hold the improvement for him. He had rather bad hip dysplasia and a lot of arthritis in his hips and the Adequan definitely made an improvement.

Another herbal supplement that I've seen a number of people use in years past is GDP. Used to be called Dog Gone Pain. Back in 2004 and 2005 I knew some folks with diabetic dogs who used that and reported good success with it.

My vet's take on Adequan and on glucosamine is that it works for some dogs and doesn't work for others. He was very skeptical about it originally but they tried it and found that for some dogs it was very effective.

A friend recently put her dog with severe arthritis on a combination of glucosamine and hyalanuric acid... have never researched this but she says her dog is very significantly improved since she started it.

Glucosamine is essentially a supplement rather than a medication.

You may come across references to glucosamine raising blood sugar. It didn't in our dog and my memory is that some forms may be more problematic for blood sugar than others. We gave Cosequin and it worked well for Chris with no side effects. We previously tried some unknown brand off the shelf at Petco and it did mess with Chris' blood sugar but I believe it had a bunch of other stuff in it, possibly even sugar of some kind. I just know we discontinued it immediately and went to a straight glucosamine product and had no problems with that.

Most dogs I've seen have handled glucosamine with no effect on blood sugar levels.

Natalie