Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Interim CC

Default Re: Jack - new to my house

Very good news Natalie, we did similar recently and things are smoothing out nicely.

Hugs to you and Jack.

Scott
Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Founding Moderator

Natalie,

That face says it all--"Me doo-doo in the house? NEVER!"

Kathy
Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Founding Member

Natalie,
First if I must say he is a handsome boy!!! If you need any pointers in introducing animals to each other call me. I have a flippin zoo here BTW the new found cat is roaming free in the house now They all love each other I am happy that you got another dog. It will help with your healing! Pebbles sends a flirtacious wink to Jack
Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Interim CC

Hi Natalie,

Don't know what a gentle leader is but we have had a simialar situation with Talos a one year old resue with no collar/leash experience and are doing well with a no pull harness. When you correct the dog the straps under the forearms pull up and it works real good. He also did a wonderful pirouette on an ordinary collar and leash.

Scott
Old 10-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Founding Member

Hi Natalie,
Just saw this thread...what awesome news!! I would miss having a dog too. And I'm going to enjoy hearing about your new adventures with Jack.
Big hugs for your new baby!
Jo-Ann & Lady
Old 10-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Founding Member

Smile Re: Jack - new to my house

Ah Nat he's got that Niki look in his eyes if he's anything like her with the Border Collie in him, he'll soon be in charge, When i got Niki at 1 yr old she would be walking around with a huge log in her mouth playing with it, it must of been 3 ft long and at least 3 in wide, I could not get over it, and i could have her sit and throw the ball up in the air her way and she's just reach up and catch it. I'm sure he'll be really protective of you and hubby and will come around to even protect the cats if he has too being he will be in charge. I can't wait till you tell me how he talks back to you when he is mad, that certain lite cry bark, rrrrrr bark, rrrrr bark, where were you mummy!
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 10-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Administrator

He's kind of leggy. I'm thinking there might be a runner in him too. Will have to wait a while til we catch up on all the new-dog bills but eventually maybe we will do a DNA test on him, just cuz it's fun to see what we can find out. I think there's more than lab/border collie in there.

We have laughed a LOT in the past 72 hours. He's really fun to have around.

Though finally we tired him out. He's been snoozing at my feet for the past hour or more.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Founding Member

I know what you mean by leggy, they have that agility, does he have dew claws?
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 10-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Founding Member

Talking Re: Jack - new to my house

I'm so happy to read this! Congrats Jack, you got a great home!!!

When I got Lexi and Livi they thought their name was "No" and/or "Leave The Cats Alone!" Since getting Lily, Lex thinks her name is "Be Nice". LOL

I was going to mention baby gates. Baby gates can save the world!!! It's good to let the cats come to the part of the house Jack is in on their own terms and when they feel like dealing with him.

I bet you are hearing lots of little feet right now. I can picture his antics!

I picture him running circles and then bouncing off the couch. I'd hate to be an old cat in that situation too! My cats have the basement where they know they can escape the dogs and we have a gate between the dining room and kitchen that has been there for 5 years now. If I am in the living room then all the dogs have to be on that side with me. The cats have learned that when they hear "in the house everybody" that they can come upstairs and be in the kitchen or on the sunporch.

He should be very smart Nat! I bought a doggie doorbell but never got any of mine to figure that out. You can also try hanging a bell on the door that you use to let him out, he will associate that soound with that door and maybe pick up on making the bell ring to alert you?

I've also never had just one dog to concentrate on. It would be fun to work with just one at a time.

It's good he was good in his crate. I think that's good for any dog, no matter their size, to accept some time crated and be calm.

Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 AM

Default Re: New baby today

Natalie - I'm SO GLAD you got another dog. I cannot survive, myself, without having at least one dog in my life. (Denise, I read Lily's escapades - lovely!) And Natalie, that's a goodly handful of dog you got there! Haha! Adolescent, possibly with some Border Collie; ha!

For any of you who adore dogs - that means absolutely EVERYBODY here - I have a suggestion. I've put many, many years into the study of dog-behavior and training. And I find that one trainer in particular has led the way to better knowledge of dogs, though she also drew on the work of the more careful, current ethologists; however, she also used her own lifelong talents, experience and meticulousness - and miles and miles of videotape - to study how dogs talk to each other, and to any other living creature.

This woman is Turid Rugaas, of Norway. She wrote a few little books that have the very essences in them concerning dogs and their body language and behavior. She ALSO developed rather simple techniques for teaching dogs, all the while communicating and making use of how dogs talk among themselves and to us, their humans. She works with and teaches dogs based entirely on who the dogs actually are. That is the salient secret of her success with dogs.

I just changed my signature to link to a page that lists Turid's works in English. I recommend them highly. If you can only get two, do get the book on calming signals, and the accompanying DVD (or video) - or ask your local library to get them. But the other books are also of unending and great value; they help you learn a lot more about dog-signals and behavior, which in turn helps you make decisions from moment to moment, and also, helps you help a new dog adapt to your family.

There are a lot of email lists (mostly Yahoo Groups) about dog-training. The one I like the very best of all of them is dedicated to over-reactive dogs; however, it also has excellent information for any dog. You can find that one here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pos-4-ReactiveDogs/

I'd love to see any of you there along with me, though usually, I'm too busy to post, but sometimes I do, at least for a short stretch. If you'd care to join me there, I would just love that! When you apply, you may use my name if you like (Carol Whitney).

You don't have to download mail; you can set yourself to "No Mail," and read on the web. (I prefer to download mail, which indicates how much I treasure THIS forum - where everything is online!)

Fri, 17 Oct 2008 07:10:39

Last edited by CarolW; 10-17-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: fix typos - again! haha