Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Annie: Diabetic with new Cushings diagnosis

Oh man Judi, you hit the nail on the head!

The goals you mentioned are mineó-I just donít want to kill my baby.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:24 PM

Judió-Well, itís 10:50 pm in my part of the word and Annie just finished eating less than half of her normal food. She hadnít eaten since last night and I now have your insulin dosage suggestions burned into my brain. An hour ago, she was still not really moving, so I through caution to the wind and gave her 1.5 units of insulin after reading here about the dangers of ketoacedoses (sp?) After about 20 minutes, and I donít think I took a breath the entire time, she wanted to go outside. While she was out, I opened a can of food for her and doled out less then half of a regular meal. I didnít want to overwhelm her little tummy but she just inhaled her food and after about 20 more minutes, I gave her an additional 3.5 units of insulin. She had a total of 5 units of insulin which is 2 units less then normal, but I also gave her less food.

Anyway, now Annie finished a big drink of water and jumped up on the couch and is snoozing peacefully in her favorite spot. After this fret filled day, the baby is fed and asleep, hubby just turned off his light and Iím probably going to be up the rest oof this night reveling in the fact that everyone is ok for right now. Hugs and Blessings to all. Karen
Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 PM
Founding Member

Aw. This is a real positive step! Give her a kiss from me and try to get some rest. You are doing great! Xo
Old 03-21-2019, 07:01 AM

Good Morning All, Annie has finally bounced back from her dental. Iím really glad I rescheduled her groom to next week. The less stress the better right now!

Iím now faced with a new problem. I want to keep her newly cleaned choppers clean but I canít find a canine toothpaste for diabetic dogs that doesnít have a bunch of artificial everything in it. I know to stay away from anything that has xylitol in it. From what Iíve read, sorbitol is supposed to be ok but that stuff bothers me physically. My doc had nothing to offer and told me to start looking on-line. Any suggestions please? Blessings to you all. Karen
Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Founding Member

Zymox puts out some good products and one of them is Oratene brushless oral care toothpaste gel .
Jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 AM

I brush my dog's teeth every day because she is not a candidate for a regular dental cleaning. For years I used Virbac CET enzymatic toothpaste. Snickers really liked the taste of if. I switched her recently when she was having some stomach troubles because I thought maybe she developed an intolerance to one of the ingredients (she hadn't, she had pancreatitis). She is now using Petrodex enzymatic toothpaste. Both seem to work equally well.

I think the benefits of regular brushing overcome the potential problems from exposure to toothpaste ingredients. Plus it really does help with what my son calls "mummy breath" with Snickers.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! If those have worked for your pups without effecting glucose they should be good enough for Annie. Blessings. Karen
Old 03-21-2019, 12:23 PM

And I believe Dechra makes a brand called Vetradent. Vets use them a lot. Just read the ingredient list.
I just ordered the wipes for my other dog, who has bad dental problems.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:45 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Zymox is Oratene now I think. It fights the dry mouth that many dogs develop and it can make teeth really bad. It causes so much build up on the teeth. Oratene was developed by the scientists who cameup with Biotene for people. I highly recommend all their products. Maggieís teeth improved greatly after I started using it. Also, if you donít want to use a gel or paste, if you can get a finger brush and at least get the food particles trapped swept out. It will help.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Well, I’m back for more advice from you wonderful folks. Annie has cataracts and she is going in for double cataract with lens replacement on May 17th.

Does anyone here have experience with cataract surgery? We are finally stable on her insulin. She’s on 7 units 2xday after meals. She is eating 1/2 can glycobalance twice a day plus a few freeze dried chicken breast bites. She had a fructosamine test last week and the vet said it was normal. Sorry I don’t have numbers yet. I also still have not learned to test at home.

I’ll wait for a response then ask more questions. Blessings to you all and your pups. Karen

Last edited by katy1; 04-14-2019 at 03:00 PM.