Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Default Regarding discussions of diet

I bring this topic up periodically since we have new members joining the forum every day.

Regarding diets, we have a policy here at the forum of not trashing any diet - really, of not trashing anything... same goes for insulin, for vaccination choices.

First and foremost, literally every dog is different. A single ingredient can be the perfect balance for one dog, a rollercoaster of high and low blood sugar for another, and of no consequence for yet another dog.

And the glycemic index is not all that useful for dogs in many cases. If you have a dog, for example, whose blood sugar drops like a rock in a pond in the first two hours after a meal and injection, that dog could very likely benefit from something as quickly digested and converted to sugar as a saltine cracker or white rice. Some dogs get better balance with oatmeal while other dogs' blood sugar goes through the roof with the tiniest amount of oatmeal. There aren't bad ingredients or bad foods - there are foods that work for your dog and foods that don't!

In addition, in ten years on forums for diabetic dogs, I have seen dogs thrive and have beautiful blood sugar on just about every diet imaginable, including the prescription diets.

So we have a policy here of not trashing diets or diet ingredients and avoiding making any blanket statement about what foods are or are not "good" for dogs or good for their blood sugar.

The difference in terms of posting is pretty straightforward.

A perfectly lovely post would be:
My dog is allergic to corn and doesn't digest grain well, so I feed her a grain free diet.

An unacceptable post (because it doesn't respect the choices of others or the many different ways dogs respond to food and insulin) would be:
Dogs should never eat corn because they can't digest it.

It is always okay to describe what you do with your dog, why you do it, and what works about it. Just avoid blanket statements applied to other dogs.

There really isn't much that is unequivocally known about diet, not for dogs and not even for people, for whom a whole lot more research has been done. Lots of theories, lots of beliefs, but not facts. And it's important here to always be respectful of the beliefs of others in regard to diet, insulin, etc.

Natalie
Old 01-01-2014, 10:39 PM

Arrow Re: Regarding discussions of diet

Ahhhh, thanks, Natalie. I had to laugh at the example of corn. Both Kwali and Kumbi absolutely THRIVED on a kibble that had lots of corn in it.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Regarding discussions of diet

Just a bump for our many new members.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Regarding discussions of diet

Thanks Natalie for your comment about the dog food. Too be honest when I posted my question about Pearls lack of eating I was waiting to be attacked for cooking for her. With my research I have been doing since I got Pearl I have seen many post about what people feed and what works for them and to be honest feeding a dry kibble would sure be easier if she would eat it! I am willing to try anything to put weight on her and heck right now just get her to eat a somewhat balanced meal.