Buddy constantly having accidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddy constantly having accidents

A little bit of background. Buddy is a Yorkie poo, who 13 years old, last summer 1 day after his 12th birthday he became paralyzed thankfully after 8 weeks of intense physical therapy, bed rest, medication and vet visits he now can walk, run and play. I thought that was the most trying time in buddy's life, but diabetes is now getting close!
    He was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago, it started with tons of drinking and accidents. Took him to the vet and his sugars were in the 300, if the vet could guess he says 4-6 weeks ago is when he got it. So we caught it pretty early. We are trying to get control with his food currently. We've completely switched over to hills prescription diet glucose food (I tried doing it gradually but he refused his old food and lost 0.4lbs in 5 days so his therapist just told me to switch to new food. My other dog is now on that same food since she refused to eat for 4 days I had no choice. I used to keep food down all the time (only filled it once a day) now I have them on an 8am breakfast and 8pm dinner schedule so they get used to it if we need to go to insulin (the vet said we are trying to use diet first), I let him out at 7am, 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 9pm and then 10pm. I put him in a diaper at night but he's still having accidents that are so great his diaper leaks, and today he pooped and peed in his diaper and also pooped in my house and peed in my house both 3 times today. I don't know what else to do anymore. When they get on insulin does this help with the urinating? Also his poop is this his body adjusting to food? I just need some words of encouragement. Walking into a kitchen full of pee every morning is draining. Washing bedding and diapers everyday is draining, wiping my floor on my hands and knees then mopping my entire kitchen (since he walks in it then walks around) is draining I just don't know what to do. I've set my alarm for 5 am hoping to let him out and catch him before he urinated, but I can.honestly say I'm so exhausted with this I'm not sure I will.
    Buddy- Age 13 - Yorkie Poo - 7.5lbs - Diagnosed 10/15/2016 - hunulin-N

Re: Buddy constantly having accidents

Originally posted by MannaBean View Post
    A little bit of background. Buddy is a Yorkie poo, who 13 years old, last summer 1 day after his 12th birthday he became paralyzed thankfully after 8 weeks of intense physical therapy, bed rest, medication and vet visits he now can walk, run and play. I thought that was the most trying time in buddy's life, but diabetes is now getting close!
    He was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago, it started with tons of drinking and accidents. Took him to the vet and his sugars were in the 300, if the vet could guess he says 4-6 weeks ago is when he got it. So we caught it pretty early. We are trying to get control with his food currently. We've completely switched over to hills prescription diet glucose food (I tried doing it gradually but he refused his old food and lost 0.4lbs in 5 days so his therapist just told me to switch to new food. My other dog is now on that same food since she refused to eat for 4 days I had no choice. I used to keep food down all the time (only filled it once a day) now I have them on an 8am breakfast and 8pm dinner schedule so they get used to it if we need to go to insulin (the vet said we are trying to use diet first), I let him out at 7am, 8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 9pm and then 10pm. I put him in a diaper at night but he's still having accidents that are so great his diaper leaks, and today he pooped and peed in his diaper and also pooped in my house and peed in my house both 3 times today. I don't know what else to do anymore. When they get on insulin does this help with the urinating? Also his poop is this his body adjusting to food? I just need some words of encouragement. Walking into a kitchen full of pee every morning is draining. Washing bedding and diapers everyday is draining, wiping my floor on my hands and knees then mopping my entire kitchen (since he walks in it then walks around) is draining I just don't know what to do. I've set my alarm for 5 am hoping to let him out and catch him before he urinated, but I can.honestly say I'm so exhausted with this I'm not sure I will.
    Welcome to you and Buddy.

I hate to say this, but I've never heard of diabetes in dogs being reversed by diet. Insulin will likely be required. When is your next appointment with the vet? I wouldn't wait too long.

Yes, uncontrolled peeing is a byproduct of high blood glucose. The body is trying to rid itself of the excess glucose through urination. The good news is that the urination usually comes under control after insulin is started.

Also, weight loss is common in uncontrolled diabetics. This may not be the exact medical explanation, but in a non diabetic food is converted to glucose (food). Glucose is circulated through the body in the blood. The cells of the body use a combination of glucose and natural insulin to feed the cells. In a diabetic, without natural insulin present, the body's cells can't use the glucose by itself and the cells starve. You could increase the amount of food, and without insulin, the body would still starve because there isn't the required insulin. You will undoubtedly need to inject insulin twice a day, every day.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Wow, welcome
      I dont know why your vet is waiting to start insulin!!!
      Of course his peeing and drinking is not going to get better without getting his bg's down...
      Most of the members use nph insulin.Novolin N you can get at walmart for 25.00 a vial, much cheaper than most insulin and pharmacies.
      Are you comfortable with your vets knowledge of diabetes??? It is important that he understands the disease and will work with you.
      You can get a human glucose meter at walmart.not expensive and most of us use a human meter. You could start testing your boy and see how his numbers are. (Human meters read slightly lower for dogs,but it lets you know his approximate readings and how high or low he is going.
      Lots of stuff to learn,but it is critical for his health and well being

Jackie
      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

300 hundred is not an extremely high number for a newly diagnosed diabetic dog so is possible you pup may produce some of his own insulin

If your dog did receive steroid treatment or still is that maybe the cause and stopping treatment if still doing may reverse the higher sugar but more than likely you dog will be permanently diabetic

We have yet to hear of one dog on the forum that was able to be treated with just diet . there have been some miss diagnosis or temporary high sugar from other conditions

I do think there was one or 2 dogs that produced some of ther own insulin for quite sometime with maybe just getting by on one dose of insulin but its very difficult to no for sure . There is no oral medication for dogs . the only treatment is injected insulin

I would recommend getting your own meter it can be humane at least to start . If your pup is in a high range that will guarantee your pup is diabetic and needs to be on insulin . Might be a good idea starting with a dose lower than a normal stating dose

Pups go back to normal fairly quickly after starting insulin therapy almost immediately for some . Diabetes is very manageable and once regulated they can live a normal happy dogs life with maybe some limitations
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

hello and welcome to you and your dog BUDDY

I can assure BUDDY needs insulin injections twice a day every 12 hours. AMOUNT injection goes by weight but to start at a lower dose so you dont miss his magic number and get overdosed.

MY dogs just turning 16 and was diagnosed over 4 years ago

HE weights about 20 lbs and gets 6 units of humulin nph twice aday after his food

I test him with the dog meter the alphatrack2 before he eats then 2 hours after.

I do a full curve which is testing before breakfast at fasting then every 2 hours for a 12 hour cycle. THIS tells me wether to increase or decrease his insulin injections.

ITS a continuous process including the right amount of food. INSULIN and exercise

GOODLUCK

MO
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

has anyone tested Buddy's sugar levels lately? dogs are like type 1 diabetics, as everyone else has said they NEED insulin or they will die.

their is a slim chance that he is still producing a little insulin but he is at a huge risk of going into ketoacidosis which is life threatening, scary and expensive.

I don't understand why some vets risk this when putting him on insulin would lower that risk greatly.

If I were you I would go to a pharmacy or Walmart and get a human monitor (we used One Touch Ultra) and some ketone strips for testing urine. Ask the pharmacist, they may be behind the counter.

If he is testing positive for ketones you need to get him to the emergency vet.

I hate to criticize vets because I think most of them love animals and are great but you need to think hard about yours. He is endangering Buddy's life.

Judi
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Buddy was last seen 9 days ago when we were initially diagnosed. I went to the store that night and got ketone straps, and so far the levels have been normal. I do have a meter that I had gotten at some point but there are no strips so I will be making that trip tomorrow so I can test his sugars. When is the best time to check? We have an appointment on the 26th to see the vet again for a follow up. And I'm almost positive that's the day we will start shots, so for now I just let him out every 2 hours during the day when possible and I've been setting my alarm for the middle of the night every 4 hours to let him use the potty. I've covered my floor in pee pads now I wish I could teach him to use them.

Comment

We will be starting insulin on the 26th of this month I would imagine at our check up. I am going to try and bump up his appointment if possible but unfortunately right now funds are tight and I may need to wait until the 26th :-(

Comment

You should test him before his breakfast and before supper. There are videos on YouTube to show you testing.with dogs,some people use edge of ear along the vein,beside the top of tail,the carpal pads ( on the back side of front legs just below "knee") or inner upper lip.
                  I use carpal pads,left in morning,right at night.
                  The 26th is pretty far away to wait that long to start insulin
                  Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Don't buy the insulin from the vet. Most of us buy the N insulin at Walmart for $25 per bottle. Be firm on this. I'm glad you are testing ketones but his accidents won't get better till he is on insulin
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Any suggestions on where to buy the strips, and if a human meter is okay to use or should I get a pet one?

Comment

Diabetes does not need to be an expensive proposition

If getting nph insulin at walmart which is about $25 and the syringes are about $ 12 for a 100. if you use insulin from the vet and syringes it will be more expensive and i haven't seen any real advantage over either unless the dog has a reaction to either one

Testing blood sugar at home and doing complete curves at home to determine dose adjustments once a week and spot checking 2 to 3 times a day usually before food and insulin and maybe at the mid way point . This will save quite a bit of cash from doing it at the vet . some email the info to the vet and have a consult on dose adjustments

You will need to talk to the vet about this some do not approve of testing blood sugar but you can suggest you just dont have the funds and need to find ways to make this affordable . Now the vet cant stop you from testing at home its your choice but its nice to have everyone onboard working together for buddy

Now you can do this on your own also without a vets supervision . I ended up in that department because jesse was just to difficult to regulate at the vet because she needed lots of attention and we just ran out of cash . So that is an option

The disease is not costly as long as the dog does not get any complications from high sugar and the most immediate danger low blood . sugar which is why we do complete curves to determine dose adjustments

I find it a bit unusual that you are not seeing any ketones with physical symptoms Other things can cause symptoms you are seeing

You really have to establish you are seeing high sugar which is going to take some testing . If you are checking for ketones you can also check for sugar in the urine with strips that test for that . I have not done this and only used a blood glucose meter

If sugar is high you need to start insulin to avert any complications that can be quite costly and life threatening . catching it early can be helpful and may expedite regulation and get things back to that new normal much quicker

You can start with a human meter the walmart relion brand is inexpensive it will establish if your pup is diabetic I have used a human meter jesses whole time being diabetic but many prefer a pet one but i cant give an opinion on that and if your pup is determined to be diabetic you can get a pet one if you want
                        Last edited by jesse girl; 10-15-2016, 07:08 PM.
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

GETTING insulin into your dog asap is more important . TELL ur current vet to start insulin go to an EMERGENCY clinic

WE can help u with the meter and strips.read my previous post to you.

WHAT meter do uhave?

how much does ur dog weigh.

ITS imperative to get your dog started on insulin asap kk!!!!

THE human meter uhave is okay.get the strips to match that meter at any pharmacy.

TAKE your meter to the vet get it calibrated with theres

INSULIN is important to administer asap
                          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

What kind of meter do you have? A lot of people find deals on eBay but you have to watch the expiration dates. A human meter reads a little lower than the canine meters but the strips are a lot cheaper

Comment

If you search for a thread about Peony and read it they had similar issues at the beginning

Comment

Working...
                              X