Injection sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injection sites?

How much do you think injection site matters? What about angle of injection? My dog has had some really weird numbers lately and I’m wondering if I should try to change injection sites. She gets two injections at each feeding... Levemir and Novolin R. I do the R just below her shoulder a few inches from her spine and the Levemir kind of on her side a couple inches past her front leg. The exact spots can vary by a few inches from day to day I’m sure. Some days it’s almost as if the insulin is barely making a dent and I’m wondering if it has anything to do with where or how I’m injecting. I’m never injecting in exactly the same spot. Some days her numbers are great and some days she’s still rising 7 hrs post injection.

Re: Injection sites?

Its so hard to correlate any reason for wonky numbers . For jesse who has her share of wonky numbers over the years injection site would be low on the list for a reason but it cant hurt to try different areas as scar tissue can show up which may have an affect

I think for jesse ear problems can create higher sugar as her priority with wonky numbers usually i know when she starts itching and its time for a spray
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

What do you do for ears? I just had an awful scary experience with meds for a yeast infection in Lucy’s ears. Vet prescribed Entederm and she lost her hearing almost entirely. It started to come back about 4-5 days after I stopped the meds. Then maybe two weeks later I tried Zymox enzyme drops (no cortisone) and she lost her hearing again within 24 hrs. I couldn’t believe it. Her hearing is back somewhat but by no means 100%. The vet said the yeast is pretty much gone, but I’m not even sure what I can do for them now if it gets worse. Vet said I could try a few drops of a mixture of 3 parts witch hazel and 1 part vinegar. he agrees no gel or ointment should be going in her ears again.

Comment

I use a combination of isopropyl alcohol and vinegar . I make it pretty strong because she has always had ear problems and this is the only thing that worked and it was easy . I put it in a spay bottle and give her a squirt if she is itching or her ears are red . Usually makes quick work of whats in there causing the problem
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks! I guess what you’re doing is similar to what he recommended.

Comment

All my vets told me to make a saline solution, and add a few drops of pure apple cider vinegar.
            I buy sterile saline nasal spray, spray it into a bottle, add the vinegar, and clean his ears once a week.
            Cider vinegar is good to clear yeast.

As for injection sites, I agree with jessegirl, would be way low on my list as a reason for wonky numbers. I myself have been injecting for 30 years, 4 times a day, and the insulin does its job.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
            X