Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Bagel joins the group and Mommy is melting

Well Hi Sande Bagels Mom ! Welcome !

You'll do just fine, all the help is here, I had a friend who's dogs name was Bagel.

dolly
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 11-07-2009, 05:47 AM

Better Day indeed!!

Although we were up and outside 3 X in the night and then she slept like a baby...
didn;t get the shot in til 7 Am..later than I had planned..BUT thankya Lord I DID get it !!!

She wasn;t THAT crazy about eating..unusual for her..but she did eat enough. I am going to the store soon and get some ground turkey and veggies for the crockpot...

A pharmacist friend emailed last night.;she has been diabetic for 36 yrs...and she said find out when Vetsulin PEAKS...she said Her INSULIN peaks at 4 hours so I could go to my dinner since I would give her the shot and then it wouldn;t peak til later.,.
Does anyone KNOW about that?
I will call teh vet but you guys are faster sometimes..
and since I gave the shot at 7 Am could I give it at 6 tonight??
Sande
Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 AM

Hi Sande:

Welcome! My Pip used to be on Vetsulin and his action peaked at around 2PM - BUT every do is different. We figured out the two peaks from the various curves he's had done. We switched to NPH and found out that this insulin peaks at 12pm.

You'll see a pattern once you have several curves to compare. Since you don't really know much about how Bagel uses insulin, I wouldn't change the times. I know once they're regulated you have about an hour window either way to give the insulin. Maybe someone else knows better.

You know it will settle down and you'll be able to go out without such worries! Every time I change my Pip's insulin dose I can't sleep...constantly checking his breathing. But I'm a type A...

Pam
Old 11-07-2009, 07:16 AM

I see you have great help with Bagel! So sorry the diabetes got added to the Cushings. Mostly, it means some extra work and scheduling for you.

If you're feeding and shooting at 6 and 6, on any particular day, you could alter either time by, say, half an hour, with no discernible effect in particular, unless Bagel is a fanatic-schedule dog! I'm very strict about MY schedules, but that's because I'm so very absent-minded, and I use a computer-calendar to keep myself in line. When our schedules go awry, as occasionally they do, it's by not more than an hour, and I just don't worry about that.

Only concern would be if the awryness WERE more than that.

Wishing you tons of luck with Bagel. I'm glad you're on two shots a day, it seems to work best for most dogs.

I'll be watching and cheering you on.

Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:16:35 (PST)
Old 11-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Founding Member

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SHOT THIS AM!!

I hope someone else comes on with whether you can do the shot at 6pm. Once you get used to this you can "play" with these things a little.
Will check back later,
Jo-Ann
Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 AM

Hi Sande and Bagel and Welcome,

You will get plenty support here I will follow your thread
Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks everyone..Pam, when you listed the peaks, what was the time of the shot?

She has been fine all day....Wanted to walk more but I took her for a doggie buggy ride for an hour...I needed the exercize more than she did...

Sleeping now....

I am making a stew with lots of veggies and ground turkey- but I read conflicting info about potatoes/carrots/corn since those are high sugar carbs...

I have zucchini and brown rice and barley and chicken soup ( FF and low sodium)..
gonna try to do the shot at 6:15 and then fly....best I can do but neighbor will check in for me...
Old 11-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Founding Member

Sounds like a good plan...should work out well. Avoiding potatoes, carrots, etc. right now is a good idea.
Enjoy your evening...those dinner theaters can be a lot of fun.
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel
Old 11-07-2009, 01:42 PM

She has slept all afternoon..as she normally does.....I am feeling better each minute...A real thin ice walking time....
WOW
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 PM

Hi Sande,

Noticed you were making Bagel's food and noticed you listed "chicken soup" please make sure onion's are not an ingredient in the chicken soup. Can be toxic for dogs.

Good to see you are getting all the help. I'm sure you will do fine.

John (Roxee's Dad)