Here we go again!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again!!!!!!!!

Hi all!!! Some of you may remember me as Princess Tiggys mom..... she passed one year ago after being a sugar baby for 8 years💜. Well I’m taking the ride again as my other little Chihuahua, Andie, was just diagnosed 😳. Yep, what are the chances of it happening again so quick?!?!

On this forum we always used the quote... everybody’s dogs are different... and I’m finding out first hand that is so true!! Testing was a breeze with Tig... Andie gave me a challenge from the get go!!! I can now test on the lip!!! Yay!!! No more rice sock in the microwave!🤣. I had to look at everyone’s testing sights on the main page... thank you Natalie!! to figure something out for my girl and the lip was it. And yes, feeding breakfast is just as big of a challenge as it was for Tiggy but we’re here for the long haul and I hope Andie will live a long and happy like as Tiggy did!!🐾💜

Sandy

Re: Here we go again!!!!!!!!

Welcome back. There isn't much activity here anymore, but some of us still check.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

well Andie is lucky to have you! I hope she continues to have a great life and starts eating her breakfast!!!
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Welcome back sandy

The lip has been jesses go to spot for her diabetic life . It sounds like you got Andie going in the right direction

You have shown with Tiggy that a dog can live a long life with diabetes . Jesse is at 9.5 years now
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by bgdavis View Post
          Welcome back. There isn't much activity here anymore, but some of us still check.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann
          I see that!!! Natalie warmed me but I didn’t think it’d be this desolate!😞. It’s a shame with the crazy advice people get on some of those FB pages!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
            Welcome back sandy

The lip has been jesses go to spot for her diabetic life . It sounds like you got Andie going in the right direction

You have shown with Tiggy that a dog can live a long life with diabetes . Jesse is at 9.5 years now
            Just trying to pick up where I left off lol. Amazed and so glad to see you guys are still doing so well!!!!! Question for you though, since you give Jesse only one meal, how do you work things out with her insulin??

Comment

Originally posted by SandyL View Post
              Just trying to pick up where I left off lol. Amazed and so glad to see you guys are still doing so well!!!!! Question for you though, since you give Jesse only one meal, how do you work things out with her insulin??
              Well what I do is give her her one meal at 5 pm with half her insulin then i give the other half 2 hours later . In the morning I give her a dose of insulin and a milk bone snack at 7 am

So I give her 3 units at 7 am ,3 units at 5 pm and 3 units at 7 pm but that can change a bit depending when i test her before each dose .

This system has worked very well for jesse . Dont have to worry if she has an appetite in the morning and almost a 100 percent she has good appetite for her one meal

The other thing about her split dose in the evening I am not giving a full dose at meal time so I get a second look at 7 pm before bedtime a couple hours later so I can adjust the dose if needed . Our goal was to build safety into her routine so not to go to low and knock on wood we have accomplish that so far

I am so glad we went this direction because as dogs get older there appetite usually declines. It shows a routine can be modified to a dogs challenges and caretakers schedule and still work just fine . You just have to stay consistent in whatever you do
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Thanks!! Gonna looks into something similar... she REALLY hates eating in the mornings!! But offer her a treat and she’s all in so your formula with some personalized modifications might just work!!! It’s kinda what I’ve been doing all week anyway since I really haven’t been able to get any breakfast into her. Now I just have to get the hubby on board with testing the lip hahaha I’ve showed him she’s so much more relaxed than doing the base of the tail but I can see him cringe every time he watched me do it lol

Comment

Having experience should make it a lot easier on the nerves, you know some of what to expect in the regulation process.

Activity is low on here right now, but I see that as positive, meaning most people have things under control and their dogs are doing well.
                  Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Yeah I remember showing the vet testing the lip and she thought it was cruel to do at the time . Funny over 10,000 or more tests latter its not a problem for jesse on her inner lip area

I always thought why fight to try to make something work . If it doesnt work try something else your testing so you know if it works or not

Let us know what your doing because its nice to see what others do which opens up the playbook for the rest of us

Comment

Yup the lip worked great for us
                      I added some salmon juice on Riles food for breakfast..he gobbled it up
                      Different tricks for different dogs
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

ha! I remember when vet #3 didn't want to use my curve info because it came from Jenny's lip which might be dirty. By the end he'd just say "you've got the diabetes thing handled right?" LOL

You and Tiggy pretty much taught me how to test so I know you can get your husband trained! xoxo
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
                          ha! I remember when vet #3 didn't want to use my curve info because it came from Jenny's lip which might be dirty. By the end he'd just say "you've got the diabetes thing handled right?" LOL

You and Tiggy pretty much taught me how to test so I know you can get your husband trained! xoxo

😆😆those were interesting days for sure!!! But at least we all knew we weren’t in the trenches alone!!
                          In ALL the years with tiggy I think my hubby actually got a good test ONCE!!!😳. Usually it was one of my girls to do it, but now one lives in Texas and the other works crazy hours so we’ll see lol

Comment

Jesse girl I just want to say THANK YOU!! Giving Andie 1/2 her dose in the morning with my treat driven girl seems to be working great! No coaxing in the world would get this girl to actually eat a meal so I’m doing a modified version of your routine and so far so good. Tastings have been high 300’s and I plan on doing an actual curve tomorrow. But the fact there’s no stress, wasted food, me sitting on the floor crying lol is a good thing!! I thought Tiggy was a picky eater?!?! 😆. Every dog is different and we need to do what works!!

Comment

Oh that is great to hear Sandy . Not many will go down this path and I dont understand why . It doesnt need to be a struggle . You just need to stay consistent with whatever you are doing and you should get adequate blood sugar and have happier human and dog for this new reality .

keep us posted on how its going so others can see

Comment

Working...
                              X