Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roxy the Boxer

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
    I keep reading that a lot of your are on blue. Exactly which one ?
    This is Annie's dry kibble: http://bluebuffalo.com/natural-dog-f...n-rice-recipe/

I've also tried the "Wilderness" Health Weight variety of Blue, both the kibble and canned, but came back to the above type because it's a few dollars less expensive.

I'm not saying this is a great food, just what I use. By the way, I add a little extra fiber by using a fiber powder from Costco that is similar to Benefiber.
    http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signa...100140189.html I mix an enclosed scoop of fiber with a splash of warm water and pour over her kibble. Again, just what I do because I've read fiber "smooths" out blood glucose. Besides, I use this fiber myself mixed into my coffee / tea

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
      This is Annie's dry kibble: http://bluebuffalo.com/natural-dog-f...n-rice-recipe/

I've also tried the "Wilderness" Health Weight variety of Blue, both the kibble and canned, but came back to the above type because it's a few dollars less expensive.

I'm not saying this is a great food, just what I use. By the way, I add a little extra fiber by using a fiber powder from Costco that is similar to Benefiber.
      http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signa...100140189.html I mix an enclosed scoop of fiber with a splash of warm water and pour over her kibble. Again, just what I do because I've read fiber "smooths" out blood glucose. Besides, I use this fiber myself mixed into my coffee / tea

Craig

Thank you so much !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
        If she won't eat at all give her half or maybe a little less than half of her normal dose. what was her last reading at the vet?

do you think she is just upset? Some people pour tuna juice on food to make it enticing.

At one point we were hand feeding Jenny
        Thanks Judi,

Her last reading at the vet was 336.00 I believe it was just because she was upset. she ended up eating half a can this morning. I really wish i could get her to eat more. But i was just so happy she ate something last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
          Have you tried a "topper"(or mixers) food such as Stella and Chewy's? Or even any other dehydrated/freeze-dried product. Mine prefers it over kibble but will sometimes eat the kibble as well- will crumble some of it up and mix it up a bit with the kibble.
          Thanks dutch,

No i have not tried it yet. we just found out Saturday night about this. So much is new.

Comment

Hey guys. another quick question what do you you think this kind of food just to try to get her to eat her hard food.

http://www.nutro.com/natural-dog-foo...tato-stew.aspx

Comment

Hey guys I'm headed to pet smart today to see if I can find a food she will eat. I finally got her to eat the w/d by putting it in the fridge and then I have to add a little turkey and hand feed it to her.

So I'm glad she is finally eating her full amount of food, BUT I hope to find something she will eat without me hand feeding her and adding the turkey

Comment

Are you looking for kibble or canned or a combination? I would look for something moderate in protein, lower in fat, moderate fiber. Some look for a low fat food because of the risk of pancreatitis. With my Maggie, we don't touch anything with potatoes or rice - she just won't tolerate them.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

glad roxy ate and i hope you find something more appetizing

i find it a bit counterproductive to have to beg your dog to eat something they probably dont want

something you dont want to do for the long haul
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm home... I stopped at a little local pet food store and talked the the lady who owns it. She gave me plenty of samples and she seems like she knew what she was talking about. BUT how do I know for sure they are ok for my dog. I tried googling them... But nothing about diabetes and these brand.

Comment

What can I do if she won't eat any dog food? What I have been doing is hand feeding her the w/d with a little turkey. I want her to eat food on her own though any advice?

Comment

I wonder if it is just going to be easier to go back to the food you used to feed her before the diabetes diagnosis.
                        I know nothing about the brand you said you used to feed her but quite a lot of us on here don't feed a specifically "diabetic" food but our dogs do ok and we adjust the insulin to work with the food.
                        I just think that having a dog who refuses to eat regularly makes it so much harder to sort out the insulin dose and in your case going back to your old food might be the lesser of the two evils and remove some of the stress you're both experiencing at the moment.
                        When things are more settled you can always try experimenting with food further down the line.
                        Antonia
                        Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

I think trying to feed a food she doesn't like is very risky. I went through so many foods with Maggie and she flat refused all the prescription foods and many premium ones as well. I used the Merrick canned foods that are stews - she used to like cowboy cookout the best. Now, she eats Nutrisca Stew with Nutrisca kibble. She really likes it and she is super picky. It is low glycemic so if you go that route, you might have to prop it up a bit with some add ins.

I have several brands that I think are pretty good that I used before or would if I could: Blue Buffalo Weight Mgmt is one I used prior to Nutrisca. Nutrisource has some really cool recipes, not super high protein, affordable, not super fatty either. Canine Caviar is a really neat brand - I would try it but Maggie is allergic to alfalfa as an environmental trigger so I think as an ingredient it might set her off. I also have used Grandma Lucys Pure Performance chicken and got identical numbers as her Nutrisca as it is very similar ingredient wise. Honest Kitchen is another dehydrated brand that is similar to grandma lucys.

The thing with food most of the time is you can adjust insulin to it unless it is just not matching up. The best advice is to just try some things and see what happens.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                            I wonder if it is just going to be easier to go back to the food you used to feed her before the diabetes diagnosis.
                            I know nothing about the brand you said you used to feed her but quite a lot of us on here don't feed a specifically "diabetic" food but our dogs do ok and we adjust the insulin to work with the food.
                            Antonia
                            Thanks Antonia..

That's is one of the signs I noticed with her was she just stopped eating. I must have bought 12 different brands of dog foods and she turned her nose up to everyone of them.

She is still turning her nose up to ALL hard foods and all the different soft foods I bought.

With the "gel" w/d I was putting the cans in the fridge and handing feeding her with a very small amount of turkey.

Today I went to the vet and asked for the chicken and stew w/d and she loved it so much. It was not the " gel". I have not seen her eat that fast in awhile. She ate two cans ( they were the small cans I needed the large but they were out) so I opened the third can and try to mix hard in.. She turned her nose up immediately .. This girl lol

Comment

Have any of you guys use the chicken and stew w/d?? Tonight was the first night we tried it and she ate it all by herself. Now i think about it... It didn't seem like a lot of "food" and more gravy. I hope she got enough for her 8 units

I tried to mix hard food in with it and of course she turned her nose up to it right away. All she used to eat was hard food.. But about a month before she was diagnosed she stopped eating hard food and she still won't eat it
                              Last edited by Andrea; 02-05-2016, 04:19 PM.

Comment

One of my pugs has some other problems in addition to his diabetes, and it has been a challenge getting him to eat any nutritious diet.

I grind up his kibble to a fine powder, add water to make it almost like a milkshake consistency, then add canned, meat/poultry/fish/egg or anything else you want to add, plus any meds/supplements he needs, then put it in the blender once again. He is gobbling it up....so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X